Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2018 8:43:34 AM EDT
Here in SC all SCHEART VHF Repeaters are now linked and monitored for traffic in the State EMD HQ.

All bulletins and/or announcements will be posted at the above link.  Local ARES groups are manning shelters throughout the state for those fleeing the storm.

The Statewide UHF PRN DMR system will be held for Command/Control with real-time or tactical reports being sent through the Analog System.

SCHEART Listen Live Link

Horry County SC Live Feeds Link

NC Amateur Radio Repeater Live Links

NC Statewide Listen Live Links

Hurricane Watch Net will activate on Wednesday, September 12 at 11:00 AM EDT – 1500 UTC on 14.325.00 AND 7.268 MHz.

Kinda-Official ARFcom EMCOMM Freq List: Print and Laminate
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#1]
North Carolina HEARS

NC Amateur Repeaters Listen Links
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info!  I've sent this to our Ontario County RACES group and Drumlins ARC in case others want to get on the HF nets to relay traffic, or listen in.

Stay dry'ish.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info. Have family in Wilmington.
Stay safe yourself!
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven been on arfcom in a while but remembered you were in SC. Your pod casts finally convinced me to get my general.

Hope you stay safe. I'll listen in.

What bands/frequencies are the arfcom folks going to use during the hurricane?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the links.

I'm watching it.  My whole family is from South Carolina (I even have relatives in Landrum), and I am originally from North Carolina.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks guys!

I'm set up on 20m Guard with FT8Call Beaconing unattended will stay there as long as the weather holds or something funn'r comes up!

Last 'local' storm was Matthew and I was doing FSQ with some in SC/NC it was pretty cool!
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad to see this thread.  I will fire up my rigs tonight and make sure everything is good to go.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Are there any arf hams outside Conway SC  out 501 towards the beach that might be able to give me a sitrep on HF and or check on family for me if all non radio comms are down?

If so PM me please.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here in SC all SCHEART VHF Repeaters are now linked and monitored for traffic in the State EMD HQ.

All bulletins and/or announcements will be posted at the above link.  Local ARES groups are manning shelters throughout the state for those fleeing the storm.

The Statewide UHF PRN DMR system will be held for Command/Control with real-time or tactical reports being sent through the Analog System.

SCHEART Listen Live Link

Hurricane Watch Net will activate on Wednesday, September 12 at 11:00 AM EDT – 1500 UTC on 14.325.00 AND 7.268 MHz.

View Quote
I think the ARFCOM digital frequency for 40m is 7.114, isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Correct and 14.0675 for 20m.

First storm here that I'm worried about.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I will be working at the MUSC ED until its over. Will be monitoring SCHEART via my HT. Staying in touch with family via simplex to keep the repeaters clear.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
thanks guys!

I'm set up on 20m Guard with FT8Call Beaconing unattended will stay there as long as the weather holds or something funn'r comes up!

Last 'local' storm was Matthew and I was doing FSQ with some in SC/NC it was pretty cool!
View Quote
I'll leave FT8Call up on 20m Guard also between approx 0930 EST and 2230 EST.  Based on the testing we've done very recently, I have prop to the east coast during those hours - and I'm receiving SCWolverine's beacons today.  I won't be home to monitor live, but I'll check in remotely as possible, and check for traffic when I get home from work (roughly 1900 EST).  My antenna is horrible on 40 meters, but I've been doing pretty well on 80 meters to the east coast from about 2230 EST until well after 0100 EST (3.578 - standard FT8Call frequency).

Call is K7**I in NV; "Auto" is on but I'm not beaconing unless I'm at the radio.  If you want to test, have at it...  if you have traffic you can't get out otherwise, send it!

ETA:  Remember, you can send brief e-mails from FT8Call > APRS.  More here:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/FT8Call-Email-/22-692825/
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I was getting dog food in Tractor Supply today. Their phone never stopped ringing. Every call was from someone who was looking for a generator. LOL.
No more water in the stores. Milk and bread is just about sold out too (I can't understand why).

What's FT8 Baconing? Is it a new Yaesu radio with piggly-wiggly tuning knobs?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's FT8 Baconing? Is it a new Yaesu radio with piggly-wiggly tuning knobs?
View Quote
It's a new "QSO capable" variant of the FT8 mode called FT8Call.  It has some pretty interesting features...  more here:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/FT8-QSO-Mode-FT8CALL-Any-ARFCOMers-/22-692676/ and in the FT8Call e-mail thread linked above.

ETA:  I"m a little slow today (well, most days...).  The inside joke with the developers is apparently "Baconing" = "Beaconing".
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, thanks for the links!! Guess I need to dig out the apx8000 I was gonna sell and put her to work!
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only mention it because @SCWolverine has the freq as 7.112 in his pdf and it should be 7.114.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I only mention it because @SCWolverine has the freq as 7.112 in his pdf and it should be 7.114.
View Quote
Ah gotcha.  Was thinking it and 40m should be added to first post, but see its in the sheet.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
not mine, but one 'we' generated around here back in '13....maybe @bigdaddy0004 or @ar_jedi could correct it for us
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#19]
from SCARES overnight

Current activation status

SC ARES is fully activated.

SC Emergency Management Division is in OpCon 1.

Ham Aid kits from ARRL HQ have arrived

Operators serving 12 hour shifts at the SC Emergency Management Division and will move to 24-hour coverage on Thursday.

2 Operators have been deployed to Berkeley County, SC to assist with shelter operations at the request of their EC. (**one of these is  a buddy of mine)

Partners receiving active support from Amateur Radio

SC EMD
SC DHEC
NWS Offices CHS, CAE and GSP on standby
County EOCs

Frequencies in use for response (HF and VHF/UHF)

This information can be found in our Tactical guide at www.ares-sc.org. Too many to list.

Evacuation routes have been reversed to support the effort. The storm track keeps changing and trending to the south. We are literally modifying plans on the fly to meet the needs of the mission. Several ARRL Sections have offered assistance. We are still trying to identify our needs. I would like to thank ARRL HQ, NC, GA, MI, FL and IN for offering assistance. Several Nets including HWN have reached out as well. Again, Thanks to all!
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Batten down the hatches and man the bilge pumps SC!

My nephew and his family have vacated Wilmington.  
We have other friends with a house on Holden Beach, not sure that one is going to make it.

Stay safe and we'll be listening on the arfcom frequencies.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#21]
any arf hams between conway and the beach along 501 please pm me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#22]
We are just south of Charlotte.
Hope we don't have very strong winds. My Yagi tower is way above the top of the trees. I wonder if home insurance covers antenna towers? I spent close to 10 grand on that antenna..

If we get hit hard and loose power and cellphone towers coverage, will anyone be willing to pass short wellness check messages through HF radio -> -email (or a short phone call)?  If my primary antennas fail, I'll downgrade to a portable antenna and low power CW mode.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hope we don't have very strong winds. My Yagi tower is way above the top of the trees. I wonder if home insurance covers antenna towers? I spent close to 10 grand on that antenna..

If we get hit hard and loose power and cellphone towers coverage, will anyone be willing to pass short wellness check messages through HF radio -> -email (or a short phone call)?  If my primary antennas fail, I'll downgrade to a portable antenna and low power CW mode.
View Quote
I'm willing, but the chance of me reaching out across the Atlantic on HF, during this solar cycle, is not likely with my attic antenna. I can pass an email, or make a phone call, though. QRS on the CW, and we can make it work.

Hopefully you are far enough inland that the wind won't be too bad.  The rain could be serious, though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good luck! I'll help any way I can. I'm running 100Watts & Wire but I can email or make a call.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can.

I usually have great prop to NC on 40/80 and many times 20

do you do any digital modes?

I am not able to copy cw except very slow, less than 5 wpm

donyou want to set freqs or use arfcom guard freqs
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#27]
One thing I found during the Harvey flooding in Houston was that guys in lifted Jeeps / trucks running 2m / 70cm rigs were able to give provide a lot of info about road conditions, supply availability, and coordinate rescues.

If you haven’t already, reach out to that guy you know with the huge truck.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:52:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I can.

I usually have great prop to NC on 40/80 and many times 20

do you do any digital modes?

I am not able to copy cw except very slow, less than 5 wpm

donyou want to set freqs or use arfcom guard freqs
View Quote
Might as well keep the ARFCOM freqs to minimize the confusion. Currently I don't even have a computer in the shack. It distracts me from enjoying the hobby. Last time I did PSK and Olivia was about 3 years ago. I quickly lost interest ever since. It's too boring. I think the software is still in the computer, setup to run with my FT-857d through a Signalink interface. Push comes to shove, it will work again.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Hopefully it will never get to this.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
One thing I found during the Harvey flooding in Houston was that guys in lifted Jeeps / trucks running 2m / 70cm rigs were able to give provide a lot of info about road conditions, supply availability, and coordinate rescues.

If you haven’t already, reach out to that guy you know with the huge truck.
View Quote
We have a very active clubhouse here in town. Several guys have lifted trucks equipped with mobile rigs. Mine is a stock 2016 4Runner.
There are lots of LDS (Mormons) in my neighborhood. They take preparedness very seriously. Most people have guns too. We are way outside of the city limits.  I have a few extra Baofengs set and locked to MURS freqs, to give to neighbors if needed.
Hopefully we'll just end up with some rain, like a few times before, when the media also predicted the end of the world. My biggest fear is to loose air conditioning. LOL. I can't handle warm weather very well. Give me 20 below zero, instead of humid 90 degrees . Too much Northern European blood in me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 2:31:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm embedded in the VA State EOC and have poc's at all the affected States EOC's as well.

Brought my radios too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I am looking for an arfham that might be able to do a wellness check in person on my elderly parents outside Conway SC if all comms are down and let me know how they are by HF.

If anybody has the ability and is willing to try this after the storm please let me know.

thanks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm embedded in the VA State EOC and have poc's at all the affected States EOC's as well.

Brought my radios too.
View Quote
man you get around.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am looking for an arfham that might be able to do a wellness check in person on my elderly parents outside Conway SC if all comms are down and let me know how they are by HF.

If anybody has the ability and is willing to try this after the storm please let me know.

thanks.
View Quote
Crossposted in the SC HTF Comms Thread
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

man you get around.
View Quote
Tell me about it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks.
Thanks, I didn't know that was there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

SCHEART Listen Live Link

View Quote
SCHEART broadcastify link is offline.

Are you the one casting this feed?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#37]
negative.  thanks for the heads up!

ETA: I don't have avail bandwidth to stream, sorry
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#38]
My sister sent this to me last night.  There's an electric coop in the Carolinas that is looking for ham radio operators.

Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
negative.  thanks for the heads up!

ETA: I don't have avail bandwidth to stream, sorry
View Quote
10-4 I’m close enough to stream it and have a spare computer and radio just hate to set up a stream for a few days and take it down.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#40]
but think of all of us geeks streaming from your shack #Worldwide
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Brought my radios too.
View Quote
If you are in or near Richmond, let me know if you need anything.  That is my AO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Im trying to see if a echo link repeater is on in the SCHEART system.

From what I have seen no.

Most of the clubs that have 2 repeaters are running one on the linked SCHEART and the other on Echo link.

Repeater book link

SCHEART Freq list

Echo Link Node Search by lat long or grid Sq

Active echo links in the path of Florence. SC, NC & GA
W4GS-R (myrtle beach, SC) node is busy 251505 I am able to long on now. minor radio traffic 4-echo linkers logged in
NC4PC-R (hampstead, NC)  Node 261720 online
KE4FHH-R (Hubert, NC) Node 870037 online, 2-echo linkers logged in EOC up and running minor traffic
KJ4VIG-R (claxton GA, *GEORGIA*) whole state of GA conference
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#43]
The *GEORGIA* conference is very active.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Im trying to see if a echo link repeater is on in the SCHEART system.

From what I have seen no.

Most of the clubs that have 2 repeaters are running one on the linked SCHEART and the other on Echo link.

Repeater book link

SCHEART Freq list

Echo Link Node Search by lat long or grid Sq

Active echo links in the path of Florence. SC, NC & GA
W4GS-R (myrtle beach, SC) node is busy 251505 I am able to long on now. minor radio traffic 4-echo linkers logged in
NC4PC-R (hampstead, NC)  Node 261720 online
KE4FHH-R (Hubert, NC) Node 870037 online, 2-echo linkers logged in EOC up and running minor traffic
KJ4VIG-R (claxton GA, *GEORGIA*) whole state of GA conference  
View Quote
If I plug into echolink to listen, am I going to limit other nodes or users that have legitimate traffic? I don't want to take resources, but I want to learn.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If you are in or near Richmond, let me know if you need anything.  That is my AO.
View Quote
I am, just met your governor a short bit ago.

Him with a VDEM official.

Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If I plug into echolink to listen, am I going to limit other nodes or users that have legitimate traffic? I don't want to take resources, but I want to learn.
View Quote
Not sure. I think if your using the app it doesn't matter. I know the GA conference has 17/200 listed but I think that the 200 is the max amount of Linked repeaters / simplex links they can have. I maybe 100% wrong.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Him with a FEMA official.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3446/IMG_2500_JPG-670211.jpg
View Quote
Awesome, Arfcom is everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I will refrain from comment on the governor.  The most active local repeater is run by the Richmond Amateur Telecommunications Society (RATS).  It is on 146.88+ PL 74.4.  I you need any help or support, let me know.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#49]
"
Twenty-four coverage at the State EOC radio room begins at 0800 on Thursday September 13, 2018.

At 0900 SCHEART conducts weekly communications check with healthcare facilities. After the healthcare net, the SCHEART VHF/UHF will remain linked for the duration of the storm. Periodic nets to brief field staff and/or confirm stations will happen at four-hour intervals. The first net will be at 10:00AM Thursday.

SCHEART Analog VHF/UHF Scheduled Net Times are:
02:00 AM, 06:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 02:00 PM, 06:00 PM, 10:00 PM

SCHEART DMR system is in emergency mode which restricts PRN talk group to South Carolina and terminates all dynamic talk groups.
ARES and AUXCOMM members are requested to monitor the PRN talk group for coordination information and instructions and keep the analog system open for tactical and emergency traffic.

Statewide Simplex Channel is 146.595 with PL of 156.7 Hz and can be used for relaying traffic to the SEOC.

HF operations will begin at noon on Thursday. HF is a back-up to the statewide VHF/UHF network. The published frequencies for SC ARES nets are 3.990 or 3.995 +/- for nights and 7.232 +/- days bands permitting.

State EOC will monitor the SCHEART repeater networks, Simplex and HF frequencies.
Field operators should follow guidance and frequencies listed in the South Carolina ARES and RACES Auxiliary Communication Tactical Communications Guide which is available for download on the http://ares-sc.org/ website.

All amateur radio operators are encouraged to monitor the SCHEART network for updated information from the State EOC and listen to their county designated repeater for local information and reports .
"
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I will refrain from comment on the governor.  The most active local repeater is run by the Richmond Amateur Telecommunications Society (RATS).  It is on 146.88+ PL 74.4.  I you need any help or support, let me know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll refrain as well.
How's the HF at VDEM this week?
Last exercise they couldn't work either 40 or 80 worth a darn.
They ended up going to 60M.  Which left us relaying via VHF.
West of you in the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Comment of the morning: it is beautiful, sunny & 69 degrees.  If this is Floyd (county) idea of a hurricane I'll take it.
My response: Rain is coming.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top