Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2018 11:39:28 AM EDT
Most of you know that APRS has been a 'thing' for me for a while now...

I caught up with Julian, OH8STN, via the toob and soaked up his recent HFAPRS videos.

Glory to the Maker, I was able to get HFAPRS Messenger running all-by-my-self :) and have received a few emails from different Ops who have heard my station.
I'm currently operating HFAPRS Mesenger on 30m @ 10.147.6

I began running my 40m dipole and was hearing a few stations; I found an old Budwig and built a quick 30m dipole and it's working pretty swell!
The only thing: I've yet to see my station reported via aprs.fi (maybe an iGate hasn't heard me?)

I was able to keyboard to keyboard message via the service with a few stations: MO, TX, Canada.

Software:
http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/aprs_messenger.htm

Julian/OH8STN Videos:
Ham Radio HF APRS Messaging for Group Communications

APRS Messenger Setup Guide - HFAPRS Weak Signal Messaging
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool beans, you're hobbying again!
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I love the great stuff that our hobby produces but why is it that everything looks like it was designed on an gateway PC and downloaded with Netscape navigator?
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I downloaded the software.

The first problem is that I am limited to COM Ports 1-8
My COM port for my HF rig is COM port 9

I don't immediately have it working, so I am watching the videos.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I followed Julian along except on his dial freq-I followed the directions from the developers site...sorry, no help with the com port thing-above my pay grade

ETA: I am using the TS-50 and Signalink (along with UZ7HO Soundmodem software) at 10w.

offline now due to potential weather in next 24 hrs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#5]
How does this compare to say JT65/FT8/Psk31 in terms of weak signal performance? Lets assume 5/20/50w to tork with. Does it have error correction?

It is standalone software I assume. How long of a message is practical to send? One of the drawbacks of ft8/jt65 for emmcomm is the limited msg size IMO.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry man, I'm not detail oriented....and know virtually noting about the JT modes...try this for some further:

APRS via PSK63

Julian, OH8STN, is Really Stoked about the EMCOMM traffic possibilities (FWIW) so there must be some merit to that end of it.

**there is a group mode too, that I want to learn moar about-seems that those using the group call can and will get all messages passed for the group**
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. It looks like it uses psk63 to send packets that have FEC...

I dont know much on the packet side of it but it looks promising.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#8]
This is relevant to my out-of-cell-coverage interests.  Will give it a looksee when I get home from current work trip.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#9]
The only thing: I've yet to see my station reported via aprs.fi (maybe an iGate hasn't heard me?)
View Quote
Looks like I had 2 characters wrong in my beacon packet.  I will correct this am and see what happens!
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting topic - tnx.

Am looking for more "stuff" to keep all my gear busy.  Already run 6 bands of WSPR, but that still leaves lots of photons all pent up in the finals cyng to get out and do something useful
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting topic - tnx.

Am looking for more "stuff" to keep all my gear busy.  Already run 6 bands of WSPR, but that still leaves lots of photons all pent up in the finals cyng to get out and do something useful
View Quote
Setup a winlink server
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Tried receiving APRS a long time ago on HF, and had some success. Might have to give it another try.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Looks like I had 2 characters wrong in my beacon packet.  I will correct this am and see what happens!
View Quote
Now working....MYCALL-63
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Now working....MYCALL-63
View Quote
Cool, looks like you were digi'd by KP3FT in Puerto Rico.

I may give this a try. I love traditional packet and HF Digi modes, but don't see much appeal in APRS as it is used these days (soley as a vehicle tracker).

Looks like a good weekend project.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#15]
TAG
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Tried this. Not enough traffic to hold my interest.

I've been messing around a bit with FSQCall. There's actually some traffic, even if most of it is just automatic soundings. But it is cool to get automated signal reports and station messages back from other stations that are on frequency.

Also, Fldigi now supports FSQCall mode.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tried this. Not enough traffic to hold my interest.

I've been messing around a bit with FSQCall. There's actually some traffic, even if most of it is just automatic soundings. But it is cool to get automated signal reports and station messages back from other stations that are on frequency.

Also, Fldigi now supports FSQCall mode.
View Quote
Lack of Traffic on FSQ pushed me to HF APRS I really want to use FQS locally.  They are both very interesting modes to play with....FWIW there were 21 stations heard by me yesterday on HF APRS.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I finally got around to watching the video by Survival Tech Nord and got this thing mostly configured and working.
My previous question about the comm port was stupid: that comm port is for PTT. I am using VOX PTT, so it is a moot point for me. For some reason I thought this needed CAT control of the radio.

Anyway, I watched the video at work, then when I got home I spent about 15 minutes getting the software set up. I still don't fully get what your dial frequency is supposed to be. And, I don't think I have the fixed GPS location in the correct format (but I have a USB GPS attached to the computer, so that isn't a pressing issue). But, I don't have time right now to research this further; hopefully I will have some time later today to fully sort this out.

FWIW: One reason I don't think I have the correct dial frequency is because I left this running all night and didn't receive anything. Granted, it was connected to a 20 meter dipole while the radio was on 30 meters (listening only), but I would have thought I would have received something. This morning, I replaced the 20 meter dipole with a 30 meter dipole and am going to leave it run until I get back to the house and see what happens. Again, I suspect I have the wrong dial frequency....either that or there is no activity or at least nothing close/strong enough to be received on a 20 meter dipole.

I think this is kind of a neat concept. So, I am going to try to get it working. Hopefully there is some activity and people for me to message.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm back on and running, I think!

I took some notes for my dial freq but not my Soundmodem Settings.

I'm running the TS-50 with Signalink into the mic jack.

Dial Freq = 10.147.6

once I open APRS Messenger I set the beacon at 30 min and choose MFSK16

PSK Audio Freq = 2100

After watching Julian's videos I was getting no decode...I found this link WA8LMF and read around there, I'm pretty sure that is where I found my Dial Freq example.

I'm just clueless enough to get into trouble, but I did have it working and thought it was pretty cool, I'll leave it up and running and hope to connect!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I just ran upstairs and checked this before leaving the house and I did decode a station: KC5CQW-63: so maybe I do have the correct dial frequency.

I also manually sent a beacon on MFSK-4 (I dont have this automatically beaconing until I am sure I have everything set up correctly).

I don't see myself being gated by anyone however.  I am running 25 watts into an end fed dipole up about 20 feet from studio B (psudo portable station, not in my ham shack).
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#21]
looks like I am GTG!
messaged with station in Cape Cod MA and showing gated via APRS.fi

I'm gonna leave it on as long as the weather holds
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Tag cause I need to do this
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Ok, I returned home to find that I had decoded four stations including SCWolverine.  So I guess I did have it correctly configured.

I messaged you SCWolverine. I received a message from the Cape Cod station. I answered him, but I didn't pay attention to how long ago he sent it; so he might not be sitting in front of the radio.

So, I am going to leave this running, beaconing every 20 minutes at 10 watts.

I still don't see anybody gating me, so maybe nobody else hears me ?
I transmitted several times at 50 watts: I would think that would be adequate, but maybe not. My antenna isn't the greatest, but it is a tuned dipole for 30 meters; and I am printing a half dozen other stations..............so, I would think they would hear me too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#24]
@444 see your station on .fi but looks like it's your network reporting.

ack your message and replied
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@444 see your station on .fi but looks like it's your network reporting.

ack your message and replied
View Quote
So I am assuming you received my message?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#26]
yes, also sent you an email
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#27]
I can't get my radio to key
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I am decoding but can not get the radio to key and transmit.

halp halp
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Tell us about your set-up.
What sound card ?

FWIW: I have everything working except I am not being gated. People are copying me.  There is something wrong with my location data I think. I am pretty much outta ideas. I am being shown on the map, but only because I am connected to the APRS server via the internet (not being spotted over RF).

I would like to get together with one or more people to test this thing out, like Jullian did on the video. See how low we can go and still print.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tell us about your set-up.
What sound card ?

FWIW: I have everything working except I am not being gated. People are copying me.  There is something wrong with my location data I think. I am pretty much outta ideas. I would like to get together with one or more people to test this thing out, like Jullian did on the video. See how low we can go and still print.
View Quote
I am using the internal soundcard of the computer
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#31]
What radio ?
Is the radio connected to the computer for CAT control ?
Have you worked other digital modes successfully ?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#32]
IC-7300
Windows 10 and internal sound card
USB speaker and mic selected.
USB serial port comm 3 selected the same one that works with WSJT-x

I am decoding, but RTS, DTS, and TD ( whatever that is ) does not key the radio.

I am confused about how there is no CAT control, so that seems to be the problem.

Maybe an internal setting to the IC-7300, but I am reluctant to start changing that because WSJT-X and FLDIGI and Amateur Contact log all work seemlessly.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#33]
figured it out. I am now transmitting
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Excellent
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#35]
both ARF stations heard here in SC

my reply copied and sent thru a few stations to make sure @444 heard it

2018-06-13 10:31:21 EDT: K4CDN-63>APSK20,KC5CQW-63*,qAS,N0QBH::Ax_xx-63 :yes both stations heard in SC{5
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#36]
something is wrong with my decoding. Only decoding first 3 words, then it stops.

sometimes I don't decode at all.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#37]
saw the response. didn't decode. nothing in msg box
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#38]
@mach
your signal was a little faint but decoded fine....I gotta run-will leave station on line

2018/6/13 14:45:22  MACH>APSK16::K4CDN-63 :ack7
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I was copying everybody, no problem.

We need to work on this group thing: I sent you both an IM.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Roger.

I am still not sure what is going on with this. I need to read up on it more.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#41]
using group per IM
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Ok, I had to QSY for awhile to check into the SATERN net.  
I will be back.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#43]
ok

Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#44]
my day is full, I'll be avail tomorrow
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#45]
besides lat lon , what goes into the fixed Beacon Text box?

and or how do I get logged on to the aprs.fi website?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#46]
most of us are doing our CALL-63 HFAPRS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yk1Mi5WJI8&list=PLKMrdrsNkFA6J2HbEnWCX42oCnLOJ3kaF

give these videos a peek

for more info:

WA8LMF HF APRS with PSK63
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top