Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2019 11:49:24 AM EDT
I’m starting to butcher my own deer instead of going to the processor.  My local processor is reasonable and reputable, but I want to learn this skill for myself,

I want to move beyond just deboning everything for stew meat, so I need a saw to break down the quarters.

Can I just use a extra fine blade hacksaw?  This would be a dedicated meat cutting saw.

There are obviously specialty butchers saws, but for something I’ll do zero to 3 times a year I’d be happy to save some money if the cheaper alternative works.

However, of this a buy once, cry once situation I can go that route as well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes a hacksaw will work.

Amazon has decent bone saws for about 25 bucks.

Just make sure the blade and handle is clean before cutting.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have done many deer over the years and have only used a hacksaw for cutting off the antlers and cutting the legs for making osso bucco. Try it, use recipe for veal.
You can pretty much remove the hind quarters with just a good knife.
Do you plan on using the front quarters for any thing?
a friend of mine would freeze the front quarters then slice them into steaks on a meat band saw.
A meat band saw with build in grinder might be more useful to you.
It might look like a big expense, but will last you for years, they start about $310.00. Look on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Tangkula-Proffessional-Meat-Band-Processor/dp/B01EUSJS00/ref=sr_1_7?crid=UYMZHIBR7TLR&keywords=meat+bandsaw+and+grinder&qid=1573748788&sprefix=meat+bandsaw%2Caps%2C361&sr=8-7
Not sure how much of the above could be deleated.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Thanks! Amazon had the 16” saw at 20% off, so $17 to my door was a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah, no need for a hacksaw to remove any meat from a deer.

Hang the animal upside down, and debone the rear quarters in place.  Just follow the lines.
View Quote
I understand.  I’ve done it that way a couple of times.  This is all about me wanting to try some different preps.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#7]
A bone saw is a great tool, but you can break down a deer just fine with a good knife.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A bone saw is a great tool, but you can break down a deer just fine with a good knife.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to move beyond just deboning everything for stew meat, so I need a saw to break down the quarters.
I think he is talking about making bone in cuts of meat.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#9]
cordless sawzaw
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can do rib/loin chops (most common bone-in cut) with a knife, but I see your point.  ETA I don’t know what the hell I was thinking... of course you use a saw when you cut these... I type faster than I think sometimes.

I don’t find deer marrow all that appetizing (unlike some other critters), so it’s definitely not my thing. I just muscle it out. It’s good for a lot of things beside “stew meat” like that too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Amazon Product
  • Crafted from the highest quality materials
  • Built for performance and durability
  • Made in United States

Link Posted: 11/14/2019 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You can do rib/loin chops (most common bone-in cut) with a knife, but I see your point.

I don’t find deer marrow all that appetizing (unlike some other critters), so it’s definitely not my thing. I just muscle it out. It’s good for a lot of things beside “stew meat” like that too.
View Quote
The back straps make some good carpachio. grill quick 1-2 min on hot grill, freeze for about 45 min., slice paper thin while partially frozen. place on romaine pieces sprinkle with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar and thin sliced Parmesan cheese!
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The back straps make some good carpachio. grill quick 1-2 min on hot grill, freeze for about 45 min., slice paper thin while partially frozen. place on romaine pieces sprinkle with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar and thin sliced Parmesan cheese!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can do rib/loin chops (most common bone-in cut) with a knife, but I see your point.

There are lots of good things to do with backstraps. None of them require a bone saw, unless you want to use it to cut the top of the rib bone making bone in chops (which is legit).
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Sawzall.  I'm too old for hacking away with a bone saw.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There are lots of good things to do with backstraps. None of them require a bone saw, unless you want to use it to cut the top of the rib bone making bone in chops (which is legit).
View Quote
I never made bone in chops, Just sliced the back strap thin and quick fried in butter, garlic, onions and a little of what's this here sauce.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, trust me.. battery sawzall is the answer you seek, we have tried many ways and the sawzall is the best way..

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:06:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m confused at the need for a hacksaw for anything other than cutting the rear two legs.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:10:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’m confused at the need for a hacksaw for anything other than cutting the rear two legs.
View Quote
We prefer to split the spine right down the middle from end to end(same way butchers do it) then cut thru the brisket and then 1/4 the 2 sides at the 3rd rib, making 4 quarters  plus one bag with the heart, tongue, liver in it... It makes for the least amount of waste when processing since any skin has to be trimmed and the meat all ages on the bone which adds better flavor and makes it more tender...
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Use a dedicated bone saw if you feel like you need one. Fine tooth hacksaw blades get clogged up with hair/skin/fat because the teeth are too fine. A sawzall works well too, but it makes a mess of the saw.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Harbor freight sawzall, blades.
15% off coupon.

Use it to remove legs, head (vertebrae) and cut ribs free from spine.

Prior to this just deboned everything. Sawzall is faster, not sure about better. Allows me to quarter the deer, move inside for cutting meat, vs. standing in cold garage deboning and cutting meat.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#21]
All you need for nice frenched rip chops is a filet knife an a cleaver to separate the ribs from the backbone.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Like mentioned, cordless saw-zall works great
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Another vote for cordless Sawzall.

Every man should have a sawzall anyway; just keep a dedicated blade aside and clean for deer/animals.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I’m starting to butcher my own deer instead of going to the processor.  My local processor is reasonable and reputable, but I want to learn this skill for myself,

Can I just use a extra fine blade hacksaw?  This would be a dedicated meat cutting saw.

There are obviously specialty butchers saws, but for something I’ll do zero to 3 times a year I’d be happy to save some money if the cheaper alternative works.

However, of this a buy once, cry once situation I can go that route as well.
View Quote

I debone everything. Bones take up space.  The only thing I use the meat saw for now is to cut off the head to mount. I still have all the same cuts, just tenderer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I debone everything. Bones take up space.  The only thing I use the meat saw for now is to cut off the head to mount. I still have all the same cuts, just tenderer.
View Quote
Actually, hanging on the bone while aging adds flavor and tenderizes the meat better then deboning at harvest..at least thats what we have seen since the 1960's....
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Not what you're really asking for OP, but we chop the legs off with a circular saw and everything else is done with a knife. Tempted to try bone in chops though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
cordless sawzaw
View Quote
That^^^.

I use a sawsall, 2 knives, Fisker's pruner.  That's it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top