Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2020 4:13:13 PM EDT
I have a PRC-127EFJ, essentially an EF Johnson 5100-series VHF handheld radio with a 3600ah NiMH battery.  It's at least 10 years old and may have been sitting uncharged for a few years.  When I turn on the radio after a full charge, it starts chirping with a low battery warning after 15 minutes.  However, it'll stay on continuously for 8 hours when receiving the local NOAA Weather station.  With a low battery warning, the HT switches to 1 watt, which isn't enough power to hit the local weather spotter repeater in the rain.

Do you think this battery is really toast?  Is there any way to save it?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#1]
10+ year old NiMH?  Yea, she's toast.  It can pull enough voltage to receive, but not enough to TX.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
It's toast.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably has a cell that's failed short, so the voltage quickly drops enough to trigger the low battery warning.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]
At least it looks like replacement batteries are still out there for them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At least it looks like replacement batteries are still out there for them.
View Quote

Yes, I'm finding Chinese knockoffs, but no OEM batteries.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 5100.  I takes the xts 5000 batteries.
There are lots of those out there.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top