Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2018 5:31:47 PM EDT
Anyone here using it?

If so what and how are you using it?

I just found a LinkSYS router and was going to update the firmware on it and see what its all about.

http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got some UBiquity gear flashed, but never made it work....

AREDNMesh

HR360 AREDN Episode
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Just looked up the router I have and it’s a WRT54GS V7 which is not supported.

So I guess I won’t be playing with it. Lol

Simple digital setups always intrig me but they always seem to lack just exactly what I’m wanting to do.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you decide to give it a whirl, don't use the Linksys hardware if you want to connect out past your own house.  Ubiquity and AREDN firmware is the way to go.

We have a small number of mesh users here in Vegas; I was a part of it for a couple of years.  Vegas sits in a big bowl, so those of us on the edges of the city could reach across the metropolis and connect with each other.  I had an approx 20 mile 2.4 link and an approx 15 mile 5.8 link.  You'd think the ARES / RACES folks would be all over it since we had the valley covered, but not so much...
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you decide to give it a whirl, don't use the Linksys hardware if you want to connect out past your own house.  Ubiquity and AREDN firmware is the way to go.

We have a small number of mesh users here in Vegas; I was a part of it for a couple of years.  Vegas sits in a big bowl, so those of us on the edges of the city could reach across the metropolis and connect with each other.  I had an approx 20 mile 2.4 link and an approx 15 mile 5.8 link.  You'd think the ARES / RACES folks would be all over it since we had the valley covered, but not so much...
View Quote
What did you use it for?

How much was the ubiquity radios?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What did you use it for?

How much was the ubiquity radios?
View Quote
Hahaha...  that's the thing.  Most folks didn't use it.  I had a repository of open source ham software and manuals (i.e. Army & Marine field manuals related to antennas, propagation, radios, etc).  We had a live chat program, a port to a BPQ packet node that showed area APRS activity and had a Winlink connection, I ported out an ADS-B web page showing aircraft activity up to about 200 miles out & several people had ham related web pages up.  We experimented with VoIP lines (worked pretty well), but nobody wanted to pick up the phone to talk across the mesh.

I was using Ubiquity Bullets (probably like this, although check the AREDN page for compatibility):  https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/bulletm/.  Looks like you can get them for about $70, but probably need a separate PoE injector.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top