Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2018 11:46:41 AM EDT
Anyone have one? Anyone used one? In what can contrast did you use it?
Saw this:
TheOutdoorGearReview

PITA45
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm unable to access the review page from here, but is that the pack that was pre-MOLLE but had tons of pouches? I believe I know a guy who swore by it. This was a looong time ago, perhaps late 90s, I don't recall where we were when he had it. This was one of those guys who was sometimes running missions with another unit that was even more specialized than ours, so I'm not sure what the intended application of the pack was. Come to think of it, he's the type who would probably be viewing this thread, his initials are BB and hometown was near Boston.

Anyhow, from what I remember, it was certainly not jumpable and appeared prone to becoming bottom-heavy after a couple hours of rucking, the load shifting itself down with gravity due to the shape of the pack. I think this was the pack where you could cinch smaller compartments as you set your load, so more skill came with use and after a while the gentleman in question learned how to pack properly and the load settled nicely. I always stared at him unpacking as I was continually surprised at how he could organize it!

As for today, if it's the pack I'm thinking of, I'm not sure what use it would have outside of a great way to keep things organized while backpacking. I don't think I'd want to hump it by choice.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I had two of them, one in Woodland and one on Desert. They were heavy as Hell and really bulky for what they were.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 5:47:01 AM EDT
[#3]
At the time. it was civilian meets military.
Todays packs and pack tech are years ahead.  Even my military kelty while bad ass in 2010....is behind the times now.
Is it still good, yes...does it work ..yes.
Is there better ..yes.
Price dictates alot though  lol.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#4]
It was part of the SOCOM "SPEARS" program in the late 90s to early 2000s.

Gregory made the ruck / day pack, and Safari land made the load carry equipment.

The issued variant WAS MOLLE compatible.

One of the major complaints was the weight, and 9000 straps
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#5]
The straps are crazy.  The weight is obscene.

I really like the suspension though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was part of the SOCOM "SPEARS" program in the late 90s to early 2000s.

Gregory made the ruck / day pack, and Safari land made the load carry equipment.

The issued variant WAS MOLLE compatible.

One of the major complaints was the weight, and 9000 straps
View Quote
I almost purchased the "spear" load out kit but thought 150$ was to much at the time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Hard pass way too heavy, if you want something that is light ish and also usually on ebay for a good price look into a "Granite Gear Chief Patrol"
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]
My unit S4 tried making my team take these for our OIF tour in 2003.  I said there was no way in hell we were taking them.  We went back and forth a bit until I said I'd take some duffle bags I knew he had on a back shelf.  The pack just looked like a piece of shit and even when they were empty they felt too heavy for nothing being in them.

When we got to out deployed location some guys from other AF Security Forces units had these packs and by the halfway mark of the deployment most of the packs had blowouts, busted straps or the frames came apart.  It's not like we rucked anywhere.  These packs went from a shelf on a conex, on to a duece then in the corner of their post or the back of a humvee and they couldn't even make it through that.  One troop got so mad at the ruck because the straps always got hung up on something he dumped all his stuff on the ground and heaved the pack into a dumpster and said, "Fuck it, they can take it out of my check."

By the end of the deployment my teams duffle bags were still in good shape, the UM21's were mostly tattered.

I also found out during that deployment JSOC dumped all that SPEAR system shit on the Security Forces because they onew we'd eat that shit up.  Whoever was in charge of procurement for my career field circa 2003-06 was a penny pinching SOB.  They issued us left over SOF gear, surplus USMC 8 point covers and British radios.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top