Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2019 1:14:12 AM EDT
With the holidays and time off work, my cousin and i have been trying to get together to do some calling but something,  usually weather, seems to get in the way.  
Today was far from perfect with 15+ mph winds but this was the only time that was going to work for both of us.
He has been working on getting his youngest boy his first coyote and i have been doing the same with my grandson. We have both been successful at calling in coyotes for them but getting them to connect with one has been a little difficult.
The day started out with 3 blank stands. Didn't have high hopes with the wind anyway. I had decided to head to a little higher elevation where we had gotten a dusting of snow over the past few day. The 2 adults and the oldest boy were just spectators today. Only the 2 youngest were gunners. We pull into the next area to call. We were going to call the back side of a ridge directly in front of us. As we were getting guns and gear ready for the hike, a pack of coyotes lite up behind us and across the road. I said, lets go play over there  first and we'll come back to this set. We all schlepped across the road, through the barbed wire fence and out into the desert covered with snow. We decided to do a standing set mainly to keep butts dry and i would be hand calling.
After a few series of bunny blues and some pup distress, i noticed my grandson who usually has a sever case of ants in his pants and the attention span of a gnat standing completely motionless and dang near pointing like a GSP. I knew something was up. I slowly turned my head to the left and could see a coyote slowly making its way toward us. My grandson played it like a pro and kept motionless till it went behind some cactus.  He slowly raised the benelli m1s90 and cut loose as it came around the back side of the cactus. I had him run up and give it another round for good measure since it was making a ruckus.  Here's the happy boy and proud papa!

3 more blank stands and we headed for home around noon with 3 worn out kids.

Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#1]
You're definitely a cool grampa.  Lucky guys
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome job! He'll remember that forever!
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Tell him good job!
Are you going to put up or tan it?
Would be a cool project to work on and have a wall hanger when done.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell him good job!
Are you going to put up or tan it?
Would be a cool project to work on and have a wall hanger when done.
View Quote
I was going to do a euro on the skull but it was shattered from the buckshot.  We just stripped the tail and have it drying.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats to the youngster! Hopefully just the first of many!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top