Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2018 4:53:08 AM EDT
Monday after work.... I'm drilling a hole in the roof!
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 5:02:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this a movie quote thread?

thought this was in GD
View Quote
Give yourself a warning!
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Ops new ride:

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure its just one hole this time ??
We heard about the last time.

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it might take more than one hole...

67F0858A-08BD-49C8-B970-3569F01D7EA4 by Jim QRB, on Flickr

But on a serious note, I have a shiny new F-150 in the driveway, and I don't know that I'm going to install my FT-857. Conditions have been so poor and contacts so few the last couple of years, I may not do so. Sad...
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Please post pics.

I want to do this but don't have the courage.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is this a movie quote thread?

thought this was in GD
View Quote
Do you even ham radio brah?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you even ham radio brah?
View Quote
Heh..honest mistake, when I click on Newest Topics, it brings up EVERY new topic even from tech sections, so even I have to look at what section it was before commenting, dont want GD responses in tech.

On Topic - congrats OP, i worked side by side with Ham guys when doing CLI for the cable company.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I've drilled a bunch of hole in new autos.
Tape off the area around the hole and clean clean clean afterward.
The metal shavings getting caught in any crevices will rust and cause damage to the paint pretty fast.
If they get down into rain channel for the sunroof or drain they bunch up they can form a dam, resulting in water backing up.

The easiest way was to use tape with paper to avoid contact with paint and collect the shaving then wash.
Good luck
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#10]
IRLP/Echolink net inside joke...  

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Pro trip: Dont drill the sunroof.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've drilled a bunch of hole in new autos.
Tape off the area around the hole and clean clean clean afterward.
The metal shavings getting caught in any crevices will rust and cause damage to the paint pretty fast.
If they get down into rain channel for the sunroof or drain they bunch up they can form a dam, resulting in water backing up.

The easiest way was to use tape with paper to avoid contact with paint and collect the shaving then wash.
Good luck
View Quote
Use a knockout punch and the only cuttings are from the small pilot hole.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a new ride before christmas and need to move my rig over from my truck.   My issue with drilling isn't the hole itself, its the fact this damn thing has 7 airbags.  Dropping the headliner isn't exactly simple.  Called the dealer ship and they don't have a book time they can quote me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got a new ride before christmas and need to move my rig over from my truck.   My issue with drilling isn't the hole itself, its the fact this damn thing has 7 airbags.  Dropping the headliner isn't exactly simple.  Called the dealer ship and they don't have a book time they can quote me.  
View Quote
What kind of truck @phlat ? I can look it up at work for you. It's not hard to do yourself. "Most" trucks, you only have to take off the grab handles, overhead console, body side weather strips, A pillar molding and sun visors. Maybe 15min. The rest of it is normally held up with velcro or magnets. Without pilling the windshield, you can only drop the headliner down to the dash/seat backs, not remove it.

I'm not dropping mine. I'm going to mark an X on the roof with a sharpie and start drilling!! It will be fine, I'm what I call...  an "expert".

I'll take a few pictures and post them here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#15]
9 miles? Sounds like you got a used truck. ;-)
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#16]
We want pictures.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Is this going to affect the true cote warranty?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#18]
My wife got a new mini van last year.  We decided to keep the Explorer around to be able to haul and tow.

After I do some work on it, out comes the NMO hole saw!
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Gadzooks! I'm going to sneak out of the house at about 03:00 and drive to a hamfest. As I don't have a radio hard mounted in my new F-150, I set up my VX-6R Yaesu with external mic/speaker and cigarette power adaptor. I thought to plunk my little mag mount antenna onto the hood, as I have done in the past with other vehicles. It's aluminum! I knew the bed was aluminum, but had no idea all the body panels are too. That was rather humorous! I guess I'll have to drop by HRO and ask my buddy Joe for the "aluminum magneticially-mounted antenna." That ought to get a grin out of him!
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:57:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I knew the bed was aluminum, but had no idea all the body panels are too. That was rather humorous!
View Quote
Cab is a aluminum too. Like a beer can.

Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:34:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Cool image! You would have laughed to see me move around the truck in the dark trying to find some ferrous metal!

I guess that's contributory to the better than expected fuel economy I've seen. First longer highway trek will be this morning - will be interesting to see how it does.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top