Looking forward to participating in the digital net soon

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, now you're hooked!  

The 7300 is a nice radio, especially for the price.

Here's mine:
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I liked it.  I’ve been licensed 24 years since 15 but never talked much.  Always enjoyed installing radios and other projects more than actually talking.  Now with YouTube walking me through how to make a contact and set things up it’s a whole new deal.  It’s feels like cheating but I’m okay with it.

Didn’t bother to connect the mic yet.

I put up the g5rv cause I owned it already.   I’d like to buy an AH-4 to see what kinds of wire antennas I can get into the pine trees here.   The internal tuner handled the g5rv okay though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#4]
You want antenna ideas? Click here.

Ther's a good online website that also covers propagation here.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
@>>>>>>Frank_B-------I that a JAN 18 rectifier tube in your radio pic?
Looks a bit smaller, asking because I have a few in my antique-odd ball tube collection.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You want antenna ideas? Click here.

Ther's a good online website that also covers propagation here.
View Quote
I’ve got the an old edition of the antenna book.  It’s sitting on my kitchen table.  Most of them seem not worth the effort.  Dipole, long wire or vertical ftw
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@>>>>>>Frank_B-------I that a JAN 18 rectifier tube in your radio pic?
Looks a bit smaller, asking because I have a few in my antique-odd ball tube collection.
View Quote
The small one is the legendary infamous 807, predecessor to the 6146 that was probably in 75% of the 50 Watt class transmitters during the '40s and early '50s. Unless properly shielded and suppressed for parasitics, it would wreck havoc with neighbor's TV sets. Mine certainly did.
The large one is a Eimac 100TH, usually seen in a push-pull configuration in the '30s and '40s. A pair could put out as much as 400 Watts.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]
oooohhhhhh I like that!

a straight key, a bug and an empty mic jack!

.-   .-  ....-  --.-

Link Posted: 7/7/2019 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, vintage CW only here, although I will use a keyer occasionally.

That mike jack has been used twice, once the day I received the rig to make sure SSB worked, and again for an ArfCom get-together.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome, congrats! The 7300 is far and away the best "bang for the buck" radio around, can't go wrong. I loved mine for the 18mo I had it in service. Upgraded to a 7610 at Dayton.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Awesome, congrats! The 7300 is far and away the best "bang for the buck" radio around, can't go wrong. I loved mine for the 18mo I had it in service. Upgraded to a 7610 at Dayton.
View Quote
Wouldn't it have been better (and cheaper) to buy a second 7300 rather than a 7610?
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I had an ic7000 previously but sold it years ago.  Too many issues trying to get digital modes set up with the signaling in the middle.   Got the bug again and though the 7300 sounded like a great deal.  Still need to submit the rebate if I can.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wouldn't it have been better (and cheaper) to buy a second 7300 rather than a 7610?
View Quote
Cheaper, yes. Better? Maybe. The 7610 was a celebratory splurge, and one of the main reasons that I wanted it was for the IQ output, which the 7300 (which, again is an AWESOME radio for the money) does not offer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top