Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2018 10:14:40 PM EDT
Trying to pick up two transceivers, one for dual-band and one for HF, to replace the ft-897d kit I got in to cheap that ended up needing too much repair work(2-page thread in here about it, it's on its way back to me from repair guy and I'll be getting refund from seller).  For dual-band I've been eyeing the FT-8800r, TM-V71A, and the like because they're also dual-watch which I like.  For HF I've been eyeing the FT-450D and IC-718 because they're well reviewed as being "best bang for your buck" HF rigs.  My reason for going used is that I'm still a bit new to all this and don't want to throw a ton of money at it yet, and I'm still trying to find the time to get licensed(my work schedule is a nightmare so I miss out on all the local exams, just a listener for now).

Anyway, I'm having a hell of a time finding or buying the radios I'd like to have.  I'm either seeing them selling much higher than the prices everyone says they're paying, or I'm being outbid constantly on eBay by people paying what looks like too much for a given model.  I've put out the word to a handful of the local ARES guys but no one is selling anything right now.  I also have the constant worry that buying something online is going to screw me, so I've been careful on what I do offer/bid on, but no luck on anything yet.  It has been extremely frustrating to say the least.

Is this the norm for the used rig market?  Should I just save my money and buy new rigs and not deal with the headaches?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Is this the norm for the used rig market?  Should I just save my money and buy new rigs and not deal with the headaches?
View Quote
I've bought most everything I own as Used or Re-pack/B-Stock

https://swap.qth.com/ is my first place to look! and usually where I buy used gear

my former 'cast sponsor sells Used Gear with a Warranty

and sometimes has repacks

I'd go for the 71a and the 450d (FWIW)

Give these a listen for further opinions!
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have QTH bookmarked, was looking at that earlier but didn't have any current listings stand out to me.  Will keep checking back on it.

Right now MTC only has ICOM repacks(does this say something about ICOM radio quality?), and their retail side is a bit higher price than DXE or some other places I've bookmarked.  I'll keep the repacks/b-models page bookmarked for sure.

ETA:  Those two radios are my top picks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
You might try Associated Radio in Overland Park, just south of KC.Their stuff is on the www. I have bought several used rigs there. Check to see if there is a warranty.
Rob
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
No matter what, if buying from a Dealer...>Call and have them Price Match---they will and maybe beat it a little just because!
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might try Associated Radio in Overland Park, just south of KC.Their stuff is on the www. I have bought several used rigs there. Check to see if there is a warranty.
Rob
View Quote
Got my mag mount dual-band antenna and 80-6 end-fed from their table at the first hamfest I attended last month.  Nice guys, very helpful.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Right now MTC only has ICOM repacks(does this say something about ICOM radio quality?)[/img]
View Quote
No, ICOM usually releases any repacks twice a year, en mass.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#8]
If you decide on the IC-718, you'll need an antenna tuner. LDG makes a brand-specific model for Icom radios, the IT-100.

Ham Radio Outlet has used radios. There's an IC-718 currently listed there for $450.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I am looking to liquidate some stuff.
I have  a bunch of stuff I would like to get rid of. And despite me trying to trim down, I bought a new radio the other day

Shoot me an IM and we can talk.

I have an FT-817, but I would not suggest that as a first rig for most people.
I also have a Kenwood TS-590. I don't believe it is the latest model.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#10]
For me I've found it's best to buy from someone I know, and can try it our before I hand the cash over.

I'm fussy about never selling a radio unless it is working 100% or I disclose any issues and really
make sure the person is aware of those issues (I hate the thought of sticking it to anyone).
But most don't tend to be that was since most the rigs I've bought used have had some type of issue.
(those coming off of e-bay seeming to be the worse case for that).

If you do buy, I would suggest paying via paypal so you may have so recourse if the deal turns out bad
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#11]
If everything goes to plan, tomorrow evening I will be ordering a new FT-450D.  The used market is just too risky for me especially after experiencing that FT-897D fiasco.  Yaesu is running a $100 instant-rebate until 4-30 so I'll get in to this for around 680shipped which isn't terrible.  Eventually I'll be doing the same for the TM-V71a, going to buy it new but don't need a dual-band rig yet since I have an HT to cover that at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I love my TM-V71. Only issue I had was extending the mic. Found some flat Cat7 that worked well enough. Before I'd get reports of noise when transmitting. Seems it's the clock frequency between the RF deck and mic. Semi related note, if Kenwood every releases a mobile version of the TH-D74 I'll be on it. Love that HT.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Both of these radios will be for shack use only so that shouldn't be an issue.  I have one of those big and stupidly heavy L shaped desks at home and the front/main area is my work/gaming PC setup.  The side was empty so that's my now my designated shack area.

For mobile, ultimately I'd like to have an FT-891 in the truck.  Figured I'd do an all-bander in there to avoid multiple radio installs because I do enter the truck in shows/events from time to time and want to keep the interior from getting too cluttered.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Both of these radios will be for shack use only so that shouldn't be an issue.  I have one of those big and stupidly heavy L shaped desks at home and the front/main area is my work/gaming PC setup.  The side was empty so that's my now my designated shack area.

For mobile, ultimately I'd like to have an FT-891 in the truck.  Figured I'd do an all-bander in there to avoid multiple radio installs because I do enter the truck in shows/events from time to time and want to keep the interior from getting too cluttered.
View Quote
If you get an FT-891 dont buy the separation kit for $70.  You can by all the parts separately for about $20 on amazon

I will look it up so dont order from this post but if I remember right it is nothing more than an RJ-45 cable (I used cat 5E) and coupler for the mic, RJ-12 for the face, and a 1/8 inch stereo cable for the headphone out that I plug into my truck aux input for the stereo.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a system admin so I have all that(or can make my own rj45/rj11).
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm a system admin so I have all that(or can make my own rj45/rj11).
View Quote
First post had a mistake

Not RJ11, it is RJ 12

I made my own separation kit and it works great.

Another correction

I used cat 5E and it works fine
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I have rj45 and rj11 ends, and cat5e.  Anything else I'd need to order, would need to order a coupler too since those are a no-go in my line of work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have rj45 and rj11 ends, and cat5e.  Anything else I'd need to order, would need to order a coupler too since those are a no-go in my line of work.
View Quote
Its RJ12  more wires than RJ11
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Either one can be made from cat5, just need the right ends.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

First post had a mistake

Not RJ11, it is RJ 12

Another correction

View Quote
Although I have all the tools and hardware to make the cables, I couldn't be bothered when I can order a 5' Cat 6 Patch Cable from Monoprice.com for $1.39 which is what I did:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023201&p_id=3427&seq=1&format=2  
and the Cat 6A UTP in-line coupler for $2.19
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=105&cp_id=10519&cs_id=1051903&p_id=15697&seq=1&format=2
and if you need it, 7' RJ12 cable is only $0.74 each
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=940
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#21]
QRZ.com has a swap/sell section. There are some deals, but beware obviously because...well, because, LOL. I have a Ham Radio Outlet in town and I find deals there on used equipment all the time. Most recently a Yaesu FT-897 for 525. I'm an Icom/Kenwood guy and up until now the only Yaesu I've had were a couple of dual bander handhelds. That's just the latest score. For me, Radio stores are almost as bad as gun stores....every time I get near one I lose money! Occasionally HRO sells demo equipment, and when the 'new' lines come out there's discounts to be had there too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Although I have all the tools and hardware to make the cables, I couldn't be bothered when I can order a 5' Cat 6 Patch Cable from Monoprice.com for $1.39 which is what I did:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023201&p_id=3427&seq=1&format=2  
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=105&cp_id=10519&cs_id=1051903&p_id=15697&seq=1&format=2
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First post had a mistake

Not RJ11, it is RJ 12

Another correction

I didn't make any cables.

I just ordered everything like you did.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah monoprice is so cheap I mostly just order from them anymore.  In fact we just picked them up as a vendor so we can cost costs on cabling supplies for clients.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone making their own separation cables with twisted pair cable, look at the Ubiquiti Tough Cable.  They have two types.  I install lots of exterior access points with the fully shielded (PRO) version and it really is tough stuff with shielding and a drain wire.  PITA to terminate until you learn the tricks due to the thickness of the jacket and the internal shield.  Very abrasion, UV, and moisture resistant stuff.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Anyone making their own separation cables with twisted pair cable, look at the Ubiquiti Tough Cable.  They have two types.  I install lots of exterior access points with the fully shielded (PRO) version and it really is tough stuff with shielding and a drain wire.  PITA to terminate until you learn the tricks due to the thickness of the jacket and the internal shield.  Very abrasion, UV, and moisture resistant stuff.
View Quote
Haven't tried the UBNT branded cabling, but I have installed and manage hundreds of their access points and bridge radios.  They make good stuff at very competitive prices.  The trade-off is there is no 800 number to call for support, gotta rely on google and the UBNT forum if you need help.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Brand new Yaesu FT-450D on the way from HRO.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#27]
You'll love it, I have one that I picked up in October last year in an opened box and never used.

I've worked all over with it on 100w with a OCF dipole. Its also semi portable and I've used it for ecomm before.

If you have any questions on it feel free to ask.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You'll love it, I have one that I picked up in October last year in an opened box and never used.

I've worked all over with it on 100w with a OCF dipole. Its also semi portable and I've used it for ecomm before.

If you have any questions on it feel free to ask.
View Quote
Awesome, appreciate that.  I picked up on the FT-897D pretty quickly so hopefully I have the same or better experience on the FT-450D.  The only possible issue I see is that the DSP is a bit more, complicated?  That's probably not the word I'm looking for but on the 897 I could easily work DSP on the fly while scanning HF bands and on the 450 it looks like it requires a bit more work, not as easily adjusted since there are numerous DSP filters and numerous adjustments for each filter.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#29]
What power supply do you have/are you going to get?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I currently only have a Radio Shack 13.8v @ 3A that I use for small stuff/meter illumination.  For the FT-450D, and the TM-V17A I'll be ordering soon, I'm going to run an Astron RS-35M.  Hopefully getting that ordered today so it'll be here next week.

I was looking at the MegaWatt and other switching power supplies but I just don't want to roll the dice on something that will be throwing power at two brand new radios, so going linear.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Good shoice. I've has an RS-35M in service for over 20 years and it's never caused any problems.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#32]
The beginnings of a shack.  Only have an HT for dual-band right now but that's ok.  The rest of my tools/supplies and a brand new Astron RS-35M should be here in a few days.  Definitely want an external tuner eventually.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top