Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2020 10:51:06 AM EDT
I need to get a quick bolt action 308 setup with a scope combo before the end of this hunting season. I've PCS to Fort Campbell and my hunting rifles back in San Diego and I need to get something set up quick so I can get some time out there I'm trying to get a buck. Anything out there for under $500 that might have a scope with it?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Howa 1500 and slap a budget line vortex on it with some tally rings/bases.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Howa 1500 and slap a budget line vortex on it with some tally rings/bases.
View Quote
This or a Ruger American, both can be sub moa guns with good rings and a decent Vortex or closeout Nikon.  Good ammo helps.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#3]
A Savage package might work as well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
TC Compass II and Vortex combo well under your budget
Might still have the $50 or $75 rebate.

KY Gun Co had decent deals.

My 6.5 CM is crazy accurate.
Can lighten trigger for under $20.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Natchez has some nice Nikon Refurbs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Just 'borrow' something from the Armory...seems like the Army thing to do.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I have never yet seen a "package" that came with a scope that was not utter and complete crap.  Period.

If you want budget, go buy a Ruger American.  You're probably going to be into it for about $400.  Or more.  And there really ISN"T a $100 or $200 scope that is worth a shit...  Cheap glass will let you down....

If you want a "good hunting rifle/scope combo", I'd be looking at a Ruger American with a Leupold VX31 scope.  All in you're going to be running $700-750...  If you want a really decent set up, its a Tikka T3x and the same Leupold, only now you are pushing closer to $1000...

Sorry.  Not being a party pooper or trying to be negative, but you asked.  Personally, I'd go buy a cheap assed used ugly-as-sin worn rifle and stick decent scope on it before I went cheap on the optic.  All scopes look good at 3 pm in the afternoon in the brightly light store.  Howeve, big game often is most active in that last 10 minutes of light, and I guarantee you that a cheap scope with poor light transmission will let you down...

If it means anything, I've got a decent $500 scope sitting on a used 30-30 I paid $200 for years ago...  And more than a few combos that are similar.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Does one need a high end scope if shooting 200yards or less?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#9]
High end :  No.

But in order to shoot 200 yards effectively, one needs to SEE 200 yards....  Its not a problem at 2 pm.  However, it can be a real challenge to see your buck at any range when its 22 minutes after sundown and rapidly becoming dark.  Cheap scopes have cheap lenses, poor lenses coatings, and generally get really "dark" very fast....  

The other issue with a cheap scope is reticle adjustment: A good scope, when you move three clicks, you get a 3/4" adjustment at 100 yards.  Every time. Five clicks?  1.25 inches...    Every time...

Cheap scope?:  turn the turret three clicks.  Sometimes it doesn't move at all.  Next time the same three clicks and the POI shifts 4 inches...

If your goal is pushing paper at 100 yards on a sunny afternoon, t doesn't much matter. If you actually hunt, and your species is deer, you need twilight performance.  Around here, deer move most in first and last five minutes of light.  A good scope is critical.  Again, I would rather have a really decent $400 scope on a used cheap $175 rifle than the other way around.  Most people spend most of their money on a rifle then cheap out on the scope.  And that is often a mistake...

this is all an opinion. Its just an opinion, but one borne of experience.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Ruger American fits that profile.
Scope is lower tier, but a vortex.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A Savage package might work as well.
View Quote

Savage make a nice rifle for short money. Put the money you save in to a good optic.

ETA: Any Walmarts near by? The regular Axis needs trigger work. The Axis II does not because it has an accutrigger.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-Official-WalMart-Clearance-thread-/5-2034658/
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 1:28:39 AM EDT
[#12]
The freedom line and diamondback line will easily get you past legal hunting light.

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I say save your money, accept no venison this year, then get your rifle sent to you. Play the long game and don't spend $500 that you don't need to. I know that's not the Arfcom answer though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
High end :  No.

But in order to shoot 200 yards effectively, one needs to SEE 200 yards....  Its not a problem at 2 pm.  However, it can be a real challenge to see your buck at any range when its 22 minutes after sundown and rapidly becoming dark.  Cheap scopes have cheap lenses, poor lenses coatings, and generally get really "dark" very fast....  

The other issue with a cheap scope is reticle adjustment: A good scope, when you move three clicks, you get a 3/4" adjustment at 100 yards.  Every time. Five clicks?  1.25 inches...    Every time...

Cheap scope?:  turn the turret three clicks.  Sometimes it doesn't move at all.  Next time the same three clicks and the POI shifts 4 inches...

If your goal is pushing paper at 100 yards on a sunny afternoon, t doesn't much matter. If you actually hunt, and your species is deer, you need twilight performance.  Around here, deer move most in first and last five minutes of light.  A good scope is critical.  Again, I would rather have a really decent $400 scope on a used cheap $175 rifle than the other way around.  Most people spend most of their money on a rifle then cheap out on the scope.  And that is often a mistake...

this is all an opinion. Its just an opinion, but one borne of experience.  

View Quote

I agree, I guess I was assuming when you said high end I was thinking $500+.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top