Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2018 11:03:22 AM EDT
Got set up before dark, hunting over some scattered corn. Turned on the FoxPro caller just for kicks. Spotted this cat at about 250 yards off at first, thought it was a small yote, didn't zoom in to ID for sure yet but could tell it was either a cat or small yote.

It worked downwind and then approached in that tall grass. It's up to your bely line in many places. It was great playing hide-n-seek for a while.

Then finally a shot presented itself at about 60-70 yards. Thermal is definitely on.

THE TWIST... after I got set back up, a while later I see three trespassers with dogs... my first thought was &*$@#%#$@!!!!

So I called the Sheriff's Office (I'm a Spec. Ops Lt. with the Sheriff's Office) and started to stalk them. Got to within 20 yards of them before they realized I was there. I could tell they had no long guns, but was not sure about pistols, so I ordered all of them face down in the dirt. They were able to control their dogs so no dead dog story here.

Turns out they were young, locals, just out letting their dogs catch hogs. After considering my options, I decided to let them off with a hard warning and the expectation they tell others the land is monitored... BY ME. At that point, one said he has heard of me and that's why they don't hunt other property nearby, well, I educated them the property they were on is all the same.

If they were armed it would have ended differently as far as arrest. Just figured I'd give them a chance to learn a lesson w/o getting a mark on their record. Property owners were quite pleased.

And now the pics and video...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top