Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked Good EOTWAWKI Books? (Page 5 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Just finished reading 'World Made by Hand' and 'The Witch of Hebron' by James Howard Kunstler. He is a peak oiler and thinks global warming caused and the "Holy Land War" caused the end of civilization, but they are fun to read.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm reading Patriots now and it's kind of funny. I'm enjoying it but I've definitely noticed a trend with these types of books that the author is writing about some fantasy life or something. All the characters have awesome jobs and make tons of money, happened to find the perfect girlfriends and wives, prepared perfectly, etc.

Also, I found the details are all messed up. The book must have been written a long time ago but updated with current dates because the author talks about dial up modems and zip drives like it's high tech stuff. I totally forgot what zip drives were until reading this book.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 5:57:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackFox] [#3]
Originally Posted By Eyespeck:
I just finished Mountain Man by Keith Blackmore.

Overall it was an enjoyable read and hard to put down.  I finished it in roughly 4 hours on my kindle.
It is a Zombie book but they seem to be more of a side thing once the story really develops.
I liked it for many things but it touched on some of the topics we regularly discuss/dbate.  Alcohol, depression, toilet paper, floss, etc.

I'm loading up Safari - Book Two

Yeah - I'm wading through Mountain man now, and it's okay.  A lot of "he stopped to scratch his balls", drinking himself into a coma every day (but he's always kind of sober when he needs to be) and other things which are a little odd.  I love the concept of the 2nd level of the undead threat and where he went with Roxanne, though (trying not to post any spoilers ).  I'd rate it between 3.5 and 4 stars overall.  

On the other hand, I've been really happy to find out that a friend's son is writing some fantastic stuff.  Check out the kindle page for DJ Molles.  His work is some of the better zombie/survival STHF stuff I've read in a long time.  I'd strongly recommend his 3 books ($10 for all three via kindle - no paper books are planned at this time).  His three books are definitely 5-star material.  He's currently rated #3 in the horror genre (above Dean Koontz, Stephen King and Max Brooks) and #14 in action/adventure (above Stephen Coonts and one below James Rollins) - just to put it in perspective
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I know I'm quoting a really old post but I couldn't agree more. I'm reading it now and it's pissing me off. Those first two guys that they ambushed was retarded. They made no attempt to trespass on the property or make any threat. Then for T.K. to kill them both without them giving an explanation was bs. How do they know that those human parts didn't come from a death of natural causes? Who made them judge and jury? On top of all that, they are smug about it. I know they hold church services too. How could they kill people in that manner and call themselves Christians? I'm going to keep reading now out of pure frustration but I may not be able to finish.

Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:
Got suckered into reading "Patriots" by the posts here, and even a year after having read it, the very thought of that book still pisses me off...

I find it completely asinine that the so-called "Patriots" in this book have the nerve to claim to be "the good guys" while ambushing, disarming, interrogating, strip-searching, & basically accosting every single PASSERBY on a PUBLIC roadway at gun-point, to which they afterward may rob or summarily execute at whim. So much utter BS this book contains... .

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BlackFox:
.... a friend's son is writing some fantastic stuff.  Check out the kindle page for DJ Molles.  His work is some of the better zombie/survival STHF stuff I've read in a long time.

I suggest you and DJ get a little perspective. His concept of the military is very weak, and it's something he needs to develop, especially if it's going to be the conerstone of his writing.

Beside being shot through with mantra's that sound as if they were penned by "Demo" Dick Marcinko, There's nonsence like this:
"One of his instructors was a Navy SEAL, as the Coordinators received cross-instruction from several different Special Ops communities. They never received a ranger tab, or a trident, or any other marker that designated them as Special Forces. But what they received was a vast knowledge of tactics and strategies and most of all, a drive that never quit."

Man! I wants to gets me sum-O-dat dere "Drive Training"!

Followed by:" Although they were equal rank, Abe had more time on and more combat experience than Lee. Though Lee had done time as a Ranger in Iraq in ’03 and ’04, Abe had served as a Delta operative for five years in Afghanistan before...."

Really.

Here's another cute little gem-

"If they were military, they were most likely a non-active unit, or reservists. They were not equipped and they did not act like an active military unit."

Feel free to have "DJ" drop an IM to me here...he can start apologizing to me and the REST of the remaining 60% of the manpower balance involved with the GWOT. Then he can apologize for scripting this sludge like it was lifted from a GI Joe movie plot. After that, he can refund the $3.00 I wasted on buying this from Amazon.

But what the fuck do I know. I'm just a non-active duty reservist.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not military so I can't speak to that part of DJ's writing.
That said, I have a hard time getting into his books and probably won't complete the one I'm trying to read.  I shouldn't have to try to read anything.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#7]

I just finished reading "The Things That Keep Us Here" by Carla Buckley.... a pandemic story involving a 40% kill rate here in the US.

No fantasy or para-military wet dream stuff here; only a good, gloomy book on a family's attempt to survive. I HIGHLY recommend it --- you will be moved to consider your own preparations.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Dace:
Anyone read "The Passage"?

Yes, it is a great read.  Well worth your time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Matt45:

"If they were military, they were most likely a non-active unit, or reservists. They were not equipped and they did not act like an active military unit."

Feel free to have "DJ" drop an IM to me here...he can start apologizing to me and the REST of the remaining 60% of the manpower balance involved with the GWOT. Then he can apologize for scripting this sludge like it was lifted from a GI Joe movie plot. After that, he can refund the $3.00 I wasted on buying this from Amazon.

Sounds like eh is working off an out-dated idea of how the Guard is equipped these days.
When I got in in Cold War era the Guard was still issued a lot of stuff dating back to Viet Nam.
With the post 9-11 deployment tempo his assumptions are out-dated...although I am guessing that in a  few years the Guard will once again be at the tail end of the training and equipping train for a drawn-down military force...which will be unfortunate.
In ten or fifteen years  OIF and OEF vets will be an occasional odd rarity/ oddity  in Guard units the way Viet Nam vets were in my early military years
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 6:29:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustAverageJoe] [#10]
Yeah. I just read a new book "Surviving In America Under Siege 2nd Edition" (started a post) which threw me for a loop.

I got it free, so couldn't complain. I expected it to be like patriots and the others like it, but it wasn't. The main character Joe Anderson didn't have tons of money, stuff, or good looks etc. The book was really different from most stuff I have read. Written by a guy by the name of Paul Andrulis that I had never heard of before. He had some other books on Amazon, but this was the only SHTF fiction I found. Says it is based upon conspiracy theorys, but dang it could happen tomorrow.

I couldn't believe how good the book was. Royal kickass with lots of action.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#11]
has anyone read " the survivalist" by  Arthur Bradley?   just finished two of the mountain man books,  and all four of DJ's books.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Yeah - I'm wading through Mountain man now, and it's okay.  A lot of "he stopped to scratch his balls", drinking himself into a coma every day (but he's always kind of sober when he needs to be) and other things which are a little odd.  I love the concept of the 2nd level of the undead threat and where he went with Roxanne, though (trying not to post any spoilers ).  I'd rate it between 3.5 and 4 stars overall.  

On the other hand, I've been really happy to find out that a friend's son is writing some fantastic stuff.  Check out the kindle page for DJ Molles.  His work is some of the better zombie/survival STHF stuff I've read in a long time.  I'd strongly recommend his 3 books ($10 for all three via kindle - no paper books are planned at this time).  His three books are definitely 5-star material.  He's currently rated #3 in the horror genre (above Dean Koontz, Stephen King and Max Brooks) and #14 in action/adventure (above Stephen Coonts and one below James Rollins) - just to put it in perspective
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Eyespeck:

I just finished Mountain Man by Keith Blackmore.

Overall it was an enjoyable read and hard to put down.  I finished it in roughly 4 hours on my kindle.

It is a Zombie book but they seem to be more of a side thing once the story really develops.

I liked it for many things but it touched on some of the topics we regularly discuss/dbate.  Alcohol, depression, toilet paper, floss, etc.

I'm loading up Safari - Book Two

I'd love to sit down with DJ Molles and sip a beer. Then I'd have to slap him for the blatant stupidity of some of the things he writes as it pertains to the military.

Stuff he has written:

- HMMWVs have keys just like any other truck.

- HMMWV windows roll down.

- Big one - The US military would house a single person of officer rank, with access to numerous bunkers.

- No access to those numerous supplies without the magic black gps box.

Ugghhhh... A bunch of other stuff that I can't remember now but those were the ones that ruined it for me.

Seriously, I'll buy him a beer because I did enjoy the series. I promise not to slap him. And I would be glad to help him reduce the glaring issues with some of the situations his characters are in.

Shoot me a PM I'd love to help. He does have a talent with writing.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:
has anyone read " the survivalist" by  Arthur Bradley?   just finished two of the mountain man books,  and all four of DJ's books.
View Quote

Read both books recently. Pretty good and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
Main character seems to be based on a Raylan Givens type personality.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know what has peeked my interest, but I have read about 7 books the last 2 weeks (on kindle)--here's what I would recommend:

Going Home, Surviving Home, and Escaping Home by A. American
American Exit Strategy
The Survivalist 1+2 by Aurthur Bradely
299 Days Series
Holding Their Own Series
Oh Sh!t, the awakening
The Prepper, part 1 The Collapse
Apocalypse Law 1-3

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JHill:
I don't know what has peeked my interest, but I have read about 7 books the last 2 weeks (on kindle)--here's what I would recommend:

Going Home, Surviving Home, and Escaping Home by A. American (read)
American Exit Strategy
The Survivalist 1+2 by Aurthur Bradely
299 Days Series (starting soon)
Holding Their Own Series  (read)
Oh Sh!t, the awakening
The Prepper, part 1 The Collapse
Apocalypse Law 1-3

View Quote

Overall these books were entertaining and not informative.  It does raise severa what if questions.  I also read "One Second After" recently it was more realistic IMO.  If you have read and enjoyed any of the titles above check it out.   Jill what part of TN.?  What book/s did you enjoy the most?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Read the Restoration series from Terry Blackstock a few years ago and got the wife to read it too. Excellent look at life after solar pulses shut down all electronics. There are four in the series beginning with Last Light, Night Light, True Light, and Dawns Light. Blackstock is a Christian author but the stories don't come off as preachy. They are based in a suberb of Birmingham Alabama and I was living about 45 miles away when I read the series so I could really relate to the area.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#17]
has anyone read " the survivalist" by  Arthur Bradley?
View Quote

Didn't care for it.  

1. Fortified cabin that coons get into. Do you have any idea what coons do to a cabin or any building they get into? How about that generator that uses all kinds of biomass? Or that with his fortified cabin, that it's easy for someone to break into while he sleeping in it?

2. Catholics don't believe in the Rapture. He might want to bone up on what Catholics believe when making a Priest a main character.

There are other points, but this is enough.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#18]
PATRIOTS, a must read for any newcomer to the "prepping/ survival" world.
Yes, it may contain a partial must have list of things but it certainly got me going.
That was six years ago.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:46:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mccray] [#19]
I Didn't see it mentioned but The Warlord serries was great reading when I was in high school 20 years ago. It's about an Ex Special forces soldier of American Indian ancestry and whats left of his family surviving after The Big One destroys California and knocks half of it into the ocean causing a nasty SHTF scenario.. Well written and violent if you are into that sort of stuff.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Mccray:
I Didn't see it mentioned but The Warlord serries was great reading when I was in high school 20 years ago. It's about an Ex Special forces soldier of American Indian ancestry and whats left of his family surviving after The Big One destroys California and knocks half of it into the ocean causing a nasty SHTF scenario.. Well written and violent if you are into that sort of stuff.
View Quote

+1 For the Warlord series. Excellent EOTW/doomsday books that are intelligently written. Worth a look every time you go into a used book store.

Also check out the Traveler series by DB Drumm. It is about a post apocalyptic nuclear war scenario and every goes all road warrior. Good reads.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Patriots was a good read.  It was a best case scenario for the worst case scenario.

Everyone can do it,  first get a couple of million dollars buy a secluded farm, buy a couple of vintage vehicles, rebuild them, buy at least 300,000 rounds and everything under the sun you will want or need for at least 5 years, surround yourself with other like minded wealthy adults with no children ,

Bingo.  Sit back and watch the world burn.

Actually I really enjoyed it but it's not very realistic for my economic situation.  
The first half of the book, as someone posted earlier could be taken from the near future of the US in our current state.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Just finished "On The Beach".

That was a gloomy one for sure.  Good read all in all.  

My wife has my library copy of The Last Town on Earth, so Its off to the local library for some more reading material.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Any good fiction or there that isn't peachy, and doesn't involve an infallible desperado main character?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Any good fiction or there that isn't peachy, and doesn't involve an infallible desperado main character?
View Quote

Lots of good commercial stuff out there if you look around
Might be a bit dated or might deal with situations years after the actual disasters that destroyed civilization.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll keep looking.  Zombie fiction is good at it, but teotwawki books are kind of hard to find that aren't pushing religion too hard, and/or have a main character who goes from regular guy to super soldier in one day.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#27]
yeah, The road.

[URL=http://killersurvivalskills.com]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:25:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlvinYork] [#28]
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance  by Barack Obama.

Oh and Lucifer's Hammer.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By coctailer:
Slow Burn by Bobby Adair.

Very entertaining series. I think it's like .99 on Amazon Kindle.
View Quote

The Slow Burn series, although having zombie content, is an excellent read. Worth it to buy the trilogy off the bat, instead of buying on at a time. Can't wait for his next Slow Burn book.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm sure this has been asked time and again but my search skills apparently are lacking.

I've read:
Lights Out
One Second After
Patriots
How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It
The Road

I really enjoyed them and am ready for another that would rank as high. Any recommendations?

I've ready other books that are less riveting and more about general entertainment like-

The Zombie Survival Guide
The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks
So Now You're a Zombie
World War Z

They were great to fill time, but nothing to spark interest in prepping, safety, planning, etc.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Early plowing through John Varley's Slow Apocalypse

Current day family in LA when some scientist develops a bug that knocks oil production off the map.

So far not bad. As a scenario, could probably be written by just about any reader of this forum.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:09:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#32]
Walking in the rain by William Allen is free for kindle unlimted on Amazon and is a great series so far. It is more a young adult book I suppose, teenage protagonist and high adventure, but my 13 year old self would have lost my mind at these books. I read all the ahern survivalist books and tons of stuff from zebra press back in the day as a kid and this would fit right in.

I found them a thoroughly enjoyable light read. the author ties up some of the "how does a 16 year old kid know how to do that" with some pretty clever backstories. Lots of reasonable tips as well that don't include carrying $40K in gold on you at all times and using tampons for bullet wounds (looking at you Rawes).

If you've got a couple of bucks or kindle unlimited give them a shot.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Sure most of you have them already but the first three books of the slow burn series by bobby Adair are currently free in kindle format on amazon ("box set")

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MARJTYO/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1435240536&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=slow+burn&dpPl=1&dpID=51MyooxF-EL&ref=plSrch
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:08:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#34]
Delete
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I am surprised that no one has mentioned "Adrian's Undead Diary" .  
I have found it very entertaining, and the main character is anything  but an infallible super-soldier.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SC4eyes:
I am surprised that no one has mentioned "Adrian's Undead Diary" .  
I have found it very entertaining, and the main character is anything  but an infallible super-soldier.  
View Quote

toe pusher
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:22:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tc556guy] [#37]
Originally Posted By AlvinYork:
View Quote

You need to stop posting while drinking

Man, I just realized your post was old
This thread really got resurrected
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:45:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePitt] [#38]
Holy crap I cannot believe the number of people suggesting to read "The Road".  What a terrible book.  Should have read the negative reviews on amazon before wasting the money.  

I have recently enjoyed reading "Tomorrow War" by JL Bourne and started reading his "Day-by-Day Armageddon" Series.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
Originally Posted By AlvinYork:

so what if the post is two years old, still a scary story...........and fiction at that.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 6:06:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ThePitt:
Holy crap I cannot believe the number of people suggesting to read "The Road".  What a terrible book.  Should have read the negative reviews on amazon before wasting the money.  

I have recently enjoyed reading "Tomorrow War" by JL Bourne and started reading his "Day-by-Day Armageddon" Series.
View Quote

Agreed about The Road. Having to reread paragraphs after you figure out you're now reading dialog sucks.  Punctuation exists for a reason.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Eyespeck:Wool by Hugh Howey - It's a 5 book series.  Post APOC scenario.  Excellent character development and intriguing concept that I haven't come accross yet in my reading.
View Quote
Thank you for mentioning this one.  I had not heard of it, and just finished it.  VERY well done, and I enjoyed it immensely.

It is now one of a 3-book series- the novellas have all been combined into "omnibus" editions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 5:57:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I suggest you and DJ get a little perspective. His concept of the military is very weak, and it's something he needs to develop, especially if it's going to be the conerstone of his writing.

Beside being shot through with mantra's that sound as if they were penned by "Demo" Dick Marcinko, There's nonsence like this:
"One of his instructors was a Navy SEAL, as the Coordinators received cross-instruction from several different Special Ops communities. They never received a ranger tab, or a trident, or any other marker that designated them as Special Forces. But what they received was a vast knowledge of tactics and strategies and most of all, a drive that never quit."

Followed by:" Although they were equal rank, Abe had more time on and more combat experience than Lee. Though Lee had done time as a Ranger in Iraq in ’03 and ’04, Abe had served as a Delta operative for five years in Afghanistan before...."

Really.

View All Quotes
.... a friend's son is writing some fantastic stuff.  Check out the kindle page for DJ Molles.  His work is some of the better zombie/survival STHF stuff I've read in a long time.

Really.

Haven't read any of his but have read a few where it was obvious the author new very little about the military. Knowing little about the military is fine but if that's the case don't make it a cornerstone of your novel.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#43]
One Second After - William Forstchen

Incredibly realistic book on post EMP USA. Realistic because the guy is a military technology historian. Boom forwarded by Newt Gingrich and spoken of on the House Floor in an effort to promote the hardening of America's infrastructure. Good read, entertaining and informative.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Steven C. Smith- The Reversion, The Revival, The Renewal.

Three pretty good books.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TheNuge:
I'm reading Patriots now and it's kind of funny. I'm enjoying it but I've definitely noticed a trend with these types of books that the author is writing about some fantasy life or something. All the characters have awesome jobs and make tons of money, happened to find the perfect girlfriends and wives, prepared perfectly, etc.

Also, I found the details are all messed up. The book must have been written a long time ago but updated with current dates because the author talks about dial up modems and zip drives like it's high tech stuff. I totally forgot what zip drives were until reading this book.
View Quote

Patriots is just prepper porn.  IIRC, it was originally written in the early to mid 90s.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Here's the one I've been reading. The US is attacked by an emp, and nothing electrical works. Chaos ensues, of course. 7 book series, I'm starting number 3.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0142181498/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_qso6FbQ9KTVB7

The End by G. Michael Hopf (Book 1 of 7)
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:01:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 97tjgunner] [#47]
Figure this hasn't been updated in a while I'll throw some I've read through the last couple months.
Boyd Cravens III Has done a few I enjoyed.
Good Fences
Behind the curve series
The devil dog trilogy

Nicholas sandsbury Smith
"The trackers series"
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Franklin Hortons "the borrowed world" series was pretty easy to enjoy. Simple read, not too much of a "gear queer", and has some useful insight. Easy to like the characters (I like Lloyd).

Good series.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By NWJohnny:
Franklin Hortons "the borrowed world" series was pretty easy to enjoy. Simple read, not too much of a "gear queer", and has some useful insight. Easy to like the characters (I like Lloyd).

Good series.
View Quote

Decent ideas in it too.

I rank it near one second after.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been reading the Black Autumn series by Jason Ross and Jeff Kirkham. I am on book 6 now and all have been good. Book 4 was a little slow but the rest are great. Probably one of the best TEOTWAWKI books or series I have read.
Page / 6
Tacked Good EOTWAWKI Books? (Page 5 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top