Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked Good EOTWAWKI Books? (Page 3 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Stephen King "Cell"

I'm about 1/3 of the way through this.  I got it thinking it would be a simple, modern horror story (cell phones are the means of the disaster) which it is, but it's getting into some areas that would interest you guys... though, even me, a person who's relatively new to this area, cringes at King's lack of familiarity with firearms.

I'm not sure how it ends, though, but it's definitely a major SHTF scenario, and, so far, heading in the direction of TEOTWAWKI.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By FourDeuce:
I guess it's time for The List again.

48 - James Herbert
8.4 - Peter Hernon
A Hunter's Fire - Floyd D. Dale
Aftermath - Charles Sheffield
Aftermath - LeVar Burton
After the Bomb(series) - Gloria D. Miklowitz
After the Rain - John Bowen
Airship Nine - Thomas H. Block
Alas Babylon - Pat Frank
Amerika - Brauna E. Pouns
A Place Called Attar - J.D. Belanger
Arc Light - Eric L. Harry
Armageddon(short stories) - David Drake & Billie Sue Mosiman
Ashes, Ashes - Rene Barjavel
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Breakdown - William W. Johnstone
Cold Creek Cash Store - Russell Hill
Dark Advent - Brian Hodge
Dark December - Alfred Coppel
Death on a Warm Wind - Douglas Warner
Death Wind - William C. Heine(also published as The Last Canadian)
Defiance(also published as Vandenberg) - Oliver Lange
Denver is Missing - D.F. Jones
Doomsday Plus Twelve - James D. Forman
Domain - James Herbert
Down to a Sunless Sea - David Graham
Earth Abides - George R. Stewart
Emergence - David R. Palmer
Ende - Anton-Andreas Guha
Famine - Graham Masterton
Firebrats(series) - Barbara & Scott Siegel
First Angel - Ed Mann
Free Flight - Douglas Terman
Heartland - David Hagberg
I, Martha Adams - Pauline Glen Winslow
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
Ice! - Arnold Federbush
Ill Wind - Kevin J. Anderson & Doug Beason
In Iron Years - Gordon R. Dickson
Into the Forest - Jean Hegland
Invasion - Eric L. Harry
Jenny, My Diary
Jericho Falls - Christopher Hyde
Level 7 - Mordecai Roshwald
Living is Forever - J. Edwin Carter
Long Loud Silence - Wilson Tucker
Long Voyage Back - Luke Rhinehart
Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Malevil - Robert Merle
Mister Touch - Malcolm Bosse
No Blade of Grass - John Christopher
Not This August - C.M. Kornbluth
Nuclear War(short stories) - Edited by Gregory Benford & Martin Greenberg
Omega Sub(series) - J.D. Cameron
On the Beach - Nevil Shute
One Just Man - James Mills
Out of the Ashes(series) - William Johnstone
Pandemic - Geoffrey Simmons
Path of the Pale Horse - Paul Fleishman
Patriots - James Wesley, Rawles
Power Play - Kenneth M. Cameron
Pulling Through - Dean Ing
Rankin: Enemy of the State - John Osier
Resurrection Day - Brendan DuBois
Shelter - Dan Ljoka
Some Will Not Die - Algis Budrys
Storm Rider(series) - Robert Baron
Survival 2000(series) - James McPhee
Survival Margin - David Graham
Survivors - John Nahmlos
Swan Song - Robert R. McCammon
The 40 Minute War - Janet & Chris Morris
The Big One - Kevin E. Ready
The Black Death - Gwyneth Cravens and John S. Marr
The City, Not Long After - Pat Murphy
The Day of the Star Cities - John Brunner
The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
The End of the World(short stories) - Donald A. Wollheim
The Freeman - Jerry Ahern & Sharon Ahern
The Iron Rain - Donald Malcolm
The Kraken Awakes - John Wyndham
The Land of Empty Houses - John L. Moore
The Last Ranger - Craig Sargent
The Last Ship - William Brinkley
The Long Tomorrow - Leigh Brackett
The Long Winter - John Christopher
The Man in the High Castle - Philip K. Dick
The New Madrid Run - Michael Reisig
The Plague - Albert Camus
The Postman - David Brin
The Rest Must Die - Richard Foster
The Rift - Walter J. Williams
The Sheep Look Up - John Brunner
The Stand - Stephen King
The Steel, The Mist, and the Blazing Sun - Christopher Anvil
The Survivalist (series) - Jerry Ahern
The Turner Diaries - Andrew MacDonald
The Wild Shore - Kim Stanley Robinson
Those Who Favor Fire - Marta Randall
Time Capsule - Mitch Berman
Tomorrow! - Philip Wylie
Vector - Henry Sutton
War Day - Whitley Streiber and James Kunetka
We, The Few - John L. Hawkinson
When the City Stopped - Joan Phipson
When the Almond Tree Blossoms - David Aikman
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang - Kate Wilhelm
Wolf and Iron - Gordon R. Dickson
Wrath of God - Robert Gleason
Z for Zachariah - Robert C. O'brien

Thank God!  
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I would not put The Turner Diaries in with the rest of them. I read it years ago, just because it was so reviled due to its content. It should be reviled due to its 6th grade reading level, terrible grammar, and poorly thought out story line.

The first half of Patriots is pretty good. The second half is pure fantasy about how a coalition of private militias beats off the UN after they take over the country, followed by the whole country dumping the existing political parties in favor of the LP and Constitution Party. The thing reads like a commercial for mostly obsolete products, and is deeply religiously oriented if that turns one off, but does have a lot of good ideas in the first part.

I think the author should have stopped after the first half.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By NW_TACTICAL:
Originally Posted By jrkarp:

+1

That will never be in my library.

I came across the "Books On MP3" version so the grammar may not have been as bad as in the print. I thought it was interesting if unrealistic in its expectations.

The book accurately portrayed the depravity, lunacy, and brutality of a Liberal Democratic Dictatorship in addition to a Racial Genocide. The use of arms, tactics, and strategies were plausible to me (I have never been in any branch of the military) on both sides. The end of the book was completely corny with raving hordes of Zombies and mutants still running amok over Asia.

Overall the Author tried to use this as a motivator, or prescription, and failed just as much as he did with creating his own religion to back up that effort. The Turner Diaries are like Mein Kampf, not something that polite society should forget no matter how much we desperately want to. Good and bad, this is America.
Link Posted: 11/27/2008 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#5]
try out the website scribd.com has a lot of free reading material. downloadable in PDF format or you can read from the site. very good for finding hard to find out of print books also.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen several people recommend Lights Out.  Is this Lights Out by Daniel Welsch or the online Lights Out by Halfast?
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#7]
WOW great list I am going to see if i can order some of these fast so I can read them over winter break. Thank you for the list.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By WolfAmongSheep:

Why is everybody scared shitless of this book? It doesnt contain any secret battle plans of AR2 and I didnt think it was very well written, but its nothing to have a heart attack over....

Its a "bit" racist in tone. Some people want to make sure everyone knows they are not racists I guess.

If you read it, you will notice immediately that it is written a maybe a 6th grade level. I am not sure if that is a reflection on the author or the intended audience.

In any case, it is not all that good of a book, but it does perhaps give some insight into some of the neo-Nazi/KKK thinking.
Link Posted: 12/31/2008 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree about The Turner Diaries. It is a pretty bad book, but I'm not really into banning books, no matter how bad they are. I own somewhere between 5 and 10 thousand books(still trying to get them organized and counted), and I suppose it would be funny if somebody tried to analyze me by the books I own. I have The Turner Diaries, Ecotopia, Armed & Dangerous, copies of various bibles, The X-Rated Bible, and a "few" thousand other books.
Just because I have a book on my shelves doesn't mean I embrace everything in that book. Of course, no matter how many books you have, if somebody(like the Mass Media slanters) wants to paint you one way, they'll pick out just the books which make it look like what they want to show.
Link Posted: 12/31/2008 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want to read about the end of the world as we know it, read 'Londonistan', by Melanie Philips.

Here
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 2:26:33 AM EDT
[#11]
In my humble opinion, Unintended Consequences by John Ross is a must read. Not a TEOTWAWKI story but a great read about the evolution of gun control from its beginnings and on into the future. A long book but easy reading. The only down side is it is out of print and copies are going for around $60.00 on Amazon and other places. Now to figure out where my copy is!

Another favorite is the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. Once I got started I couldn't stop until I had read the whole series. Another easy read and very entertaining.

Paul
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#12]
While not exactly a "EOTWAWKI" book, I just received in the snail mail a notice that Matt Bracken (a board member, IIRC) is now taking pre-orders for his newest book in the "Enemies" trilogy.

$20 in check/cash/MO.  I won't post the address, 'cuz that might be construed as a commercial..

You can read a hundred pages of the new book at EFAD.com
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Looking for a post apocalyptic (preferably post nuclear war) survival fiction book. A little zombie action in the story is ok also. Prefer it to be mainly modern with guns and stuff but hack and slash as a part will work.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 3:25:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By malada:
I've seen several people recommend Lights Out.  Is this Lights Out by Daniel Welsch or the online Lights Out by Halfast?

The one by Halfast
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 2:36:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vokouns] [#15]
Anyone know of a book that is similar to the movie The Edge?  I just found a 5 year old Borders gift card and want to look into getting like a mountain survival type book.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PUBBOY:
Originally Posted By DanishM1Garand:
The Road

I just finished it in two days... couldn't put it down...

Fantastic book.

There is a movie being made, but so far I can't find the trailer...

Anyone know if the "movie tie-in" book is different from the original?
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 2:36:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been reading "Deathlands" since about 1990. I like the series but some books area better than others in the series. They are a great scifi post apocolypse series

I am reading Patriots now, it's great.

I saw Wolf and Iron mentioned, that was a good book about a single guys survival as I recall. He ended up with a wife living in a cave making black powder weapons. I recall that a wolf played a role in the book he  befriended it. I enjoyed that book.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been reading The Last Centurion by John Ringo.  While it sure does seem to qualify as a "TEOTWAWKI" book, it is one that approaches from a different angle than most of the genre.

Long story short:  A dual-whammy of another ice age and a worldwide plague which wipes out a large chunk of the earth's population.  The main character is stuck in Iran, along with a mere company of troops, to guard a gigantic stockpile of military equipment that was hastily abandoned when all the troops were called home to deal with the situation.

Entertaining reading, but about zero in the way of useful insight on how to deal with such a situation.  Just a fun read.  IIRC, it was on the best seller's list last year.  Currently, only available in hardback.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 12:22:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mmj6213:
Swan Song by Robert McCammon; survival in a post-nuclear war United States with a bit of the supernatural mixed in.  Kinda like the The Stand.

www.robertmccammon.com/novels/swan_song.html

I read that book years ago, and have been trying to remember the title so I can get it again. Thanks for posting that!
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ilbob:
Originally Posted By WolfAmongSheep:

Why is everybody scared shitless of this book? It doesnt contain any secret battle plans of AR2 and I didnt think it was very well written, but its nothing to have a heart attack over....

Its a "bit" racist in tone. Some people want to make sure everyone knows they are not racists I guess.

If you read it, you will notice immediately that it is written a maybe a 6th grade level. I am not sure if that is a reflection on the author or the intended audience.

In any case, it is not all that good of a book, but it does perhaps give some insight into some of the neo-Nazi/KKK thinking.

I've never read it, but it has been my understanding that it is a POA for 88's thinly veiled as fiction, and, thereby, protected speech.

I think what would make for some interesting SHTF fiction would be a derivative work based on the Turner Diaries. Ya' know from the other perspective.

Something along the lines of "Some the more hateful white folks finally went off the deep end, and me, others like me, and white folk who don't hate us are fighting the good fight."

Just to be clear - I'm a white guy, and 88's can go suck start a glock. kthxby.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm just about done with Mathew Bracken's Foreign Enemies.  Not quite as entertaining as his last novel, but pretty good nonetheless.

Just about all the action occurs around the MS/TN border area.

http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Reading One Second After now....

one
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Now about a quarter of the way through World War Z.

I may have to force myself to finish it.  Although, those with short attention spans might like it; it is composed of many very short stories.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I just searched my local libray and any of the books they had in their search were lost or long overdue...

That sucks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling is a new MUST READ - it is the start of a trilogy......set in now time - however an event causes all elec. and explosives (gunpowder included) to not work......very good writing and character development........set in Oregon, Montana, Idaho......made me think , again, of preps and who do I know who has such and such skills........
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:50:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evil_Donkey] [#26]
I personally loved "One Second After". Great read. THEN I followed it up with "The Patriot".... Which to me is a really good base book on how to prep for a SHTF situation. I recommend BOTH... But if your married have your wife read "One Second After" FIRST as it is a good way to get her started thinking about ways to be better prepared.

Go buy BOTH those books!
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 0degreesK:
Stephen King "Cell"

I'm about 1/3 of the way through this.  I got it thinking it would be a simple, modern horror story (cell phones are the means of the disaster) which it is, but it's getting into some areas that would interest you guys... though, even me, a person who's relatively new to this area, cringes at King's lack of familiarity with firearms.

I'm not sure how it ends, though, but it's definitely a major SHTF scenario, and, so far, heading in the direction of TEOTWAWKI.

Unfortunately King can't seem to wrap up his stories well. I didn't think Cell was anywhere near as good as the Stand as a SHTF book..
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone know of a post-massive earthquake story, fiction or non-fiction, that occurs in California or the West Coast.  I would really like to get a perspective on what possible consequences could develop and the extent of damage.  Something similar to The Rift but more West Coast specific.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 11:17:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GySgtD] [#29]

Originally Posted By trg-s338:

Anyone know of a post-massive earthquake story, fiction or non-fiction, that occurs in California or the West Coast. I would really like to get a perspective on what possible consequences could develop and the extent of damage. Something similar to The Rift but more West Coast specific. Thanks.

Not about earthquakes, but Lucifer's Hammer and Deep Winter both occur on the left coast. The former is a classic that is available at any decent bookstore, and the latter is an internet download.

FWIW, I intend to pick up a copy of The Battle after Armageddon later today.  Not a TEOTWAWKI book per se, but more of a SHTF kinda book.   At least, that's what I understand.
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone know of a post-massive earthquake story, fiction or non-fiction, that occurs in California or the West Coast.  I would really like to get a perspective on what possible consequences could develop and the extent of damage.  Something similar to The Rift but more West Coast specific.  Thanks.

Aftermath, by Al Steiner is set in California(specifically the Auburn region east of SF). It's a comet story, sort of similar to Lucifer's Hammer, but a bit more "adult". It's at www.storiesonline.net

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#31]
couple of months ago i finished failsafe and on the beach....

both are very good older books...post nuclear books
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 1:11:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I just finised "One second after".  It's about a massive EMP attack on the U.S. and the after effects.  Great book.

-Mark.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Here's a sleeper if you can find a copy. "The Devil's Advocate" by Taylor Caldwell. No has nothing to do with the movie. Written in '53, it provides you with an America ran by the far left, and the resulting effects. Fiction and kind of an Atlas Shrugged type of read.
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#34]
+1   for "Aftermath" by Al Steiner......    It's got "adult situations" and ALOT of them... But if you get to the heart of that book its a really really good book about the SHTF/End of the world.   It is set on the west coast and about survival.....  VERY good read.
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I picked up 'One Second After' and another book that this board might find interesting if it doesn't already know about it.

'World War Z' - by Max Brooks
It's an oral history of the fictional Zombie War written from the perspective of the guy tasked to write the 'Zombie War Commission Report' (think 911 Commission Report). After he writes the official report he sets out to give a less political take on the war with survivors telling what they actually experienced in their own words from Patient Zero all the way to afterwards.

Really interesting idea for a novel and very well researched in the areas of an apocalyptic virus.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I've read one second after, patriots, world war z, & zombie survival guide. The previous list is huge; can someone narrow it down some? Looking for books along the same lines as I've previously read. Thanks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#37]
World War Z
Max Brooks

Not really a great informational book, but it's an awesome read and if youve read the zombie survival guide, it offers more of the same great stuff.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 1:18:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: davebone42] [#38]
I liked the story of "One Second After" but the editing was terrible.  I get pulled out the story when I read a stupid editing mistake.  I thought "Patriots" was much better and I loved how the author went into great detail on the supplies and knowledge that group gathered.  I kept a little pack of sticky pads with when reading so I could mark pages that I wanted to find later.

P.S. I thought I should mention that I made the mistakes to show what I mean when reading "OSA"
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 3:22:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreglFaggins] [#39]
Must confess I didn't go through all six pages, but The Last Centurion by John Ringo is an outstanding book that was written around 2007 with the assumption of a democrat President being elected in '08 ( a Hillary Clinton type in this case). The guy really seems to know his shit and it is a highly entertaining story written blog style (which takes some pages to get used to). I didn't put it down until I was done with it.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Just started book 8 of "THE SURVIVALIST" by Jerry Ahern, have 1 to 14 so far, I believe there are at least 20 in the series!.  Great 80's Cold War Pulp Fiction
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#41]
just started reading the newest revision of "patriots" and i think it is the best version ever so far! -fed
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Not all the stories are EOTWAWKI, but many are post apocalyptic.

There Will Be War series edited by J.E. Pournelle

Some really outstanding excellent military, sci-fi stories and poetry there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I read a Sci-Fi book when I was younger that I am trying to identify.  Very post apocalyptica.....What I can remember of the story is this:

Earth is attacked by Aliens (NOT Battlefield Earth) who set up the planet as a game preserve for ET animals.
They use humans specially bred as "hounds" to chase the creatures.
Normal human/survivor gets captured by these and forced to become one of the pack.

Anyone remember this and an author?
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By Evil_Donkey:

I personally loved "One Second After". Great read. THEN I followed it up with "The Patriot".... Which to me is a really good base book on how to prep for a SHTF situation. I recommend BOTH... But if your married have your wife read "One Second After" FIRST as it is a good way to get her started thinking about ways to be better prepared.

Go buy BOTH those books!

That's what I'm doing. My wife is more paranoid than I am about this stuff, it's just that I know a little more about it.

Now, if I just had the money.....
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#45]

Anyone know of a post-massive earthquake story, fiction or non-fiction, that occurs in California or the West Coast. I would really like to get a perspective on what possible consequences could develop and the extent of damage. Something similar to The Rift but more West Coast specific. Thanks.

Aftermath, by Al Steiner is set in California(specifically the Auburn region east of SF). It's a comet story, sort of similar to Lucifer's Hammer, but a bit more "adult". It's at www.storiesonline.net

"8.4" is based on the New Madrid fault. Not California, but still interesting.

That is, without all the "drop a nuke in the hole to stop the quake" bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By Bodie:

Just started book 8 of "THE SURVIVALIST" by Jerry Ahern, have 1 to 14 so far, I believe there are at least 20 in the series!. Great 80's Cold War Pulp Fiction

Don't forget "The Guardians" by Eric Austin.
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 3:07:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 8:07:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brotherzoo] [#48]
Go-Go Girls of The Apocalypse by Victor Gischler is a great read. Not 'realistic' or 'veiled POA' SHTF - but a great, gun heavy, fun, quick reading, post apocalypse novel. He has some other good (non-SHTF) books as well.

+1 for a lot of the books listed here, but especially Alas Babylon. Read all of Frank's books, they're all great, and "How to Survive the H-Bomb, and Why?" is an awesome read (and 1950s time-capsule) that talks about some things I've never read in any other post-nuke-survival books - if you can score an old copy on Amazon. It's a little in the vein of Dean Ing's "Chernobyl Syndrome" which, along with "Pulling Through" are a great SHTF books, (one guide, the other fiction).

If you liked Patriots, look for Rawles' screen play "Pulling Through" online (same name as the Dean Ing novel).
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#49]
World War Z, Zombie Survival Guide.......which one do you read first? Or doesn't it matter?

Link Posted: 4/1/2010 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Tacked Good EOTWAWKI Books? (Page 3 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top