Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2021 12:57:11 PM EDT
Thinking about capturing some duck/geese hunts next fall on video.  I’ve seen the shotkams and tacticams that are cool looking at target itself, but curious about a head mounted go pro.  Anyone here do that, and if so how did it work out?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The Arfcom way is, get both haha.

A GoPro has a very wide-angle lens. Flying birds are very hard to spot unless they are SUPER close through that kind of lens.

I want a Shotkam but dang they are pricey.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My buddy ran a go-pro 8 or 9 on a few hunts this past fall.  Ducks at 5 yards look like they are at 15 yards on video.  Ducks at 15 yards look like they are at 30 yards on video.  That being said, there's dozens of guys on youtube that are monetized and doing most of their filming with nothing more than gopros and shotkams.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, looking forward to next fall already.  Ducks and geese are flying everywhere in MN now with some water opening up
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Debo, I see you are in FL.  I just got back from there and was curious to learn about bird hunting there.  Is it popular?  Mostly sea ducks?  What kinds?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hardrock4195:
Debo, I see you are in FL.  I just got back from there and was curious to learn about bird hunting there.  Is it popular?  Mostly sea ducks?  What kinds?
View Quote

Up in North Florida there is a decent amount of duck hunting.... In south Florida there is a diehard group of hunters that hit Lake Okeechobee, the Kissimmee lake chain, and the wildlife management areas on the edge of the Glades. Trump Jr. has hunted Lonely Island, a private club, several times. Duck hunting down here is not for dilettantes. It's tough hunting and usually requires quite a bit of travel to get to the hunting areas. It's rare to shoot a multi-man limit. Not unheard of, just tough. Mainly we see Florida mallards, Green wing teal, ringnecks, and spoonies. I don't think sea ducks get to Florida.

I try to hunt Arkansas at least once a year, if that gives you an idea of what it's like hunting in Florida haha.

I've heard of hunting saltwater for divers in the Tampa Bay area but I've never done it.

If you want to hunt saltwater, you need to hunt the Laguna Madre area of Mexico before you die. It's the best duck hunting I've ever experienced.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Here’s some GoPro footage, head mounted
Kansas Hunt 2017 Greatest Hits

Pheasant & Quail 2021 11 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top