Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2020 4:13:08 PM EDT
I will be there this fall to hunt ruffed grouse and woodcock with a guide.  Anyone here hunted up there and have tips or recommendations they would be willing to share?  I plan on using an 870 20ga pump mostly, possibly an over and under.  Guide will have a dog.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Where are you hunting in Maine?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:39:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#2]
If you have a guide with a dog, I'd just take any advice they want to give you.  Your 20 ga 870 is more than enough gun.

Other than that, maybe talk with some local Maine Ruffed Grouse Society members after June/July.  Nobody and I mean nobody is going to give you specific spots where to hunt but they will let you know how the hatch went.  Ruffed grouse numbers are heavily dependent on the hatching weather.  The next 3-4 weeks are crucial.  We need warm dry weather.  Cold weather isn't a season killer but isn't optimal, same thing with wet and warm, but wet and cold will kill a grouse season.  

Also, check out the drumming reports late summer.

I always prefer hunting just when leaves begin to fall, I don't know when that occurs in Maine, it's usually 3rd-4th week in Oct in Northern MN/WI.  It's better weather/scenting conditions for the dogs, the foliage isn't as thick, food sources are easier to pinpoint, and the woodcock are coming down in good numbers.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:40:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: patdyespants] [#3]
In the east near West Grand Lake and Canada border.  Staying at Leen’s Lodge
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By beardog30:
If you have a guide with a dog, I'd just take any advice they want to give you.  Your 20 ga 870 is more than enough gun. 

Other than that, maybe talk with some local Maine Ruffed Grouse Society members after June/July.  Nobody and I mean nobody is going to give you specific spots where to hunt but they will let you know how the hatch went.  Ruffed grouse numbers are heavily dependent on the hatching weather.  The next 3-4 weeks are crucial.  We need warm dry weather.  Cold weather isn't a season killer but isn't optimal, same thing with wet and warm, but wet and cold will kill a grouse season.   

Also, check out the drumming reports late summer.

I always prefer hunting just when leaves begin to fall, I don't know when that occurs in Maine, it's usually 3rd-4th week in Oct in Northern MN/WI.  It's better weather/scenting conditions are better for the dogs, the foliage isn't as thick, food sources are easier to pinpoint, and the woodcock are coming down in good numbers.
View Quote

Thanks man.  Good info
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Hah. Just south of danforth. Spent a lot of time in the woods just north of there as the family camp is on east grand. Usually there is good grouse/ deer/ bear and moose hunting in that area. 20g is perfect. You don’t need a 12.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool, thanks.  My first trip to Maine and I’m looking forward to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top