Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2023 10:47:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 3:07:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm down here in zones 6&7, but I'd start small with raspberries, blackberries, and
blueberries.  After that, I'd plant some apple and pear trees.  I tend to choose
what's grown well for me with the least amount of maintenance.

I could list some zone 4 varieties and cultivars, but you can find them easier
and more efficiently.

Good luck with your planting!  
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m even lower down. My son planted raspberries this year. I doubt they can handle the heat.

We have peaches, figs, pears, blueberries, and citrus. Trying to establish domesticated elderberry and mulberry.  We have native elderberries, dewberries, and blackberries.  Pecans are our big tree nut crop.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
A trip to a local nursery helps to narrow your choices to what grows well in your area. Not a big box store unless that is all you have, they usually aren't as knowledgeable as an independent nursery owner.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not far from you, and I have a ton of wild black raspberries around my property. Once ripe, the birds pick them clean pretty quick so I've only got a day or two to pick. I keep meaning to move a bunch to my garden in hopes they hold out better. Apple trees seem to do well if the deer don't destroy them. I'm going to add some strawberries this year hopefully. Blueberries need very acidic soil, and died on me before ai figured that out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Blue berries or saskatoon berries- dont need acidic soil like blue berries do.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Apples, northern cold hardy type.  Nut trees.  Berries, whatever grows in the local conditions.  Transplant ramps/wild leeks if found at all nearby.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Look into currants and gooseberries. They are very hardy and can handle drought. They also like some shade, so they can be planted near trees.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Bears can and will destroy fruit trees if they bear fruit.

I know a person with 20 mature apple trees and they ravaged by bears. Only reason they survive is that they are mature FULL SIZED (not dwarf or semi dwarf like the ones sold at home depot and consumer nurseries) and there are 20 of them to share the effects.

If you do plant fruit trees, fence around them to keep deer from eating the tender leaves and branches, and pluck all fruit off early in the season until they reach a good size.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:19:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 3:09:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Apples, you have alot of options for different varieties.  You get tons of chill hours.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I think pawpaws will survive in that zone.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have apple trees planted at our current properly, I've been SO thinking of taking them with. Mix of Snowsweet and Honeycrisp (maybe a Zestar in there), and they are all 8-10 years old now, so just starting to get into their prime.

I'm just not sure they would survive the transplant well into that drastically different soil conditions, I'm sure they will be stunted for years, and mature apple trees always increase property value/appeal.
View Quote

I'd probably risk it for two or three (so you still get cross pollination).  The time saved versus starting over would be worth it... to me.

Only thing I know is you want to transplant when they go dormant for the fall/winter.   And get as much of the root ball as you can.   And keep the roots wet during the move.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bears can and will destroy fruit trees if they bear fruit.

I know a person with 20 mature apple trees and they ravaged by bears. Only reason they survive is that they are mature FULL SIZED (not dwarf or semi dwarf like the ones sold at home depot and consumer nurseries) and there are 20 of them to share the effects.

If you do plant fruit trees, fence around them to keep deer from eating the tender leaves and branches, and pluck all fruit off early in the season until they reach a good size.
View Quote

The best bear meat I ever had was tagged in an old apple orchard by my hunting buddy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top