Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2022 6:42:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: donnieR32]
On Thursday, we're heading down to the Shenendoah river for a 3 day canoe trip. I've done roughing it trips where we ate mountain house meals and carried as little as possible. Well, the group that invited me on this trip is apparently getting 15 canoes, has meals planned (I mean grilling steak), and a system them perfected over the last 25 years. Either way, I really just wanted to share pics of what I packed. I had the smaller Odyssey bag, but to be safe bought the 65L Sea to Summit bag. Between the two of them, all of my gear is safe and should stay dry.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Between these two bags I have:
cloths including a rain jacket, bathing suit, Huk shirt, and Columbia dry pants, boonie hat
bamboo butt wipes, 3 gallon Katadyn water purifying bag, ChapStick and paraffin tabs for fire, contractor bags, knife, lighter, compass, hammock
Tent, sleeping bag, inflatable mattress, multitool, 550 cord, Deet, 2 cans 30spf, a ton of Cliff bars, electrolyte tabs, solar charger (will be on outside)

I think that covers it, but I'll double check.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]
No guns?
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got back from doing 48 miles on the current river in Missouri with a very similar loadout.  Everything I had fit in a 55 liter dry bag.  I had an old army surplus sleeping bag (the lighter green one from the two bag system)    and an army surplus self inflating Thermarest- those were the bigger items.

I let the Thermarest unroll to line the inside of the dry bag and then packed everything on top of the sleeping bag which compacted nicely.  My personal tent was stored with the troops gear (BSA) and the food/cooking gear was stowed in non-water proof plastic totes lined with contractor bags.

The whole trip went pretty well.  Four days and three nights of canoeing and primitive camping, although there were canoe liveries every so often that sold ice.  The one item I wish I made room for was a small collapsible chair, or one that broke down small.  

I hope you have a great time!
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ban-hater:
No guns?
View Quote

I'll bring my M&P 9
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PWA4EVER:
I just got back from doing 48 miles on the current river in Missouri with a very similar loadout.  Everything I had fit in a 55 liter dry bag.  I had an old army surplus sleeping bag (the lighter green one from the two bag system)    and an army surplus self inflating Thermarest- those were the bigger items.

I let the Thermarest unroll to line the inside of the dry bag and then packed everything on top of the sleeping bag which compacted nicely.  My personal tent was stored with the troops gear (BSA) and the food/cooking gear was stowed in non-water proof plastic totes lined with contractor bags.

The whole trip went pretty well.  Four days and three nights of canoeing and primitive camping, although there were canoe liveries every so often that sold ice.  The one item I wish I made room for was a small collapsible chair, or one that broke down small.  

View Quote

That sounds like an amazing trip. I keep checking the water level and forecast, looks like we're between 2 and 3 ft but are expecting rain.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Post when you get back and let us know how it goes.  I wouldn't mind knowing the put in and take out points.  We try to get out of area every so often and the Shenandoah River may be an option some time.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope you packed eating utensils, a cup, and a plate.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

If you don’t mind my asking where did you put in and take out at?
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
I hope you packed eating utensils, a cup, and a plate.
View Quote

I did. I can't remember the name but it's a wash bucket, pot, pan, 4 cups, and lid set. I took the spork, 1 plate, 1 cup out to bring with.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 8:25:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: donnieR32] [#9]
Post when you get back and let us know how it goes.  I wouldn't mind knowing the put in and take out points.  We try to get out of area every so often and the Shenandoah River may be an option some time.
View Quote

I will. We're going out of Bentonville, VA. I'll track it on all trails and share.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
What about a throw rope and a extraction kit.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JTC:

If you don’t mind my asking where did you put in and take out at?
View Quote

We put in at a place called Cedar Grove and paddled to Two Rivers Canoe Rental.
Got underway at 15:30 on the first day and camped about 19:30 above a place called Akers
Second night we camped between Pulltite and Pound Spring, Third night about five miles up-river from Two Rivers.
Could have done it a lot quicker, but the boys need to swim and explore.

You can get put in further up-river, but from what I understand there were a lot of log jams further up due to some storm damage.
You can also float further down.

I see your from Missouri, have you been on the Current?  We drove over six hours from Bloomfield Indiana to make the trip.

OP, I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By donnieR32:

I will. We're going out of Bentonville, VA. I'll track it on all trails and share.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By donnieR32:

Did you make it back?  Any after action report?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:42:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: donnieR32] [#13]
Here are the pics. We didn't cover as much distance as we wanted but that was due to rain and site availability. Had a blast, only one boat sank in the rapids, but nobody was injured and all the gear was properly secured.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Beercraft Carrier

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Some of the good pics are too big to post, but we grabbed a site right after the rapids where we could watch others come down. It was a small beach with woods behind and a huge 100ft rock wall across the water. I probably could have brought less clothes, but with rain and being on the water I didn't want to risk wet clothes. All in all, it was great and I had a ton of fun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Awesome OP
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:49:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBT] [#15]

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Last night we camped at sandy Beach and watched people sink in the rapids. Also watched people who clearly knew what they were doing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top