Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2019 2:08:27 PM EDT
Sure is quiet in here...  I've got fishing on the brain, so figured I would start a thread.
I took a hiatus for about 5 years.  Job constraints, and shoulder surgery.  My son is now interested in learning fly fishing, so I got out my rods and have been teaching him to cast.  Since I now will have to support two fisherman, I'd like to get a new rod for myself.  He can have my old ones.
I've been reading a ton, but I need to get to some stores to try some rods.  I thought I found a Hardy Zephrus FWS #4 8'6" for $500 in the Amazon Warehouse, but some asshole returned an old model Hardy Shadow in the Zephrus packaging.    I did take some time to cast it, and I did like it.  It was the older pre-Sintrix design.  I imagine the new Shadow to be even better.

Rods I am eyeing, probably an all around rod at #4, 8'6" to start.  Then a small creek rod later.
Hardy Zephrus FWS - Expensive, but honestly at $679 it is still cheaper than the $800+ top tier.  Seems like a bargain for the performance level.
Hardy Shadow - At $350, it seems like a good deal for a mid-level, and from what I am reading the performance is up there.
Orvis Recon - Has been getting really good reviews.  At $429, it's a bit more expensive than the Shadow, but it is made in the US, and not Korea.
I have liked Sage rods in the past (own 2), but they don't seem to be getting good reviews right now.  Would like to cast some to see for myself.

I've been looking at Galvan and Ross reels mostly.  Other recommendations welcome.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Hardy Shadow 8'6" 5wt $190

http://www.farmingtonriver.com/hardy-shadow-86-5wt-4pc-new-clearance/
out of stock

https://www.sierra.com/hardy-shadow-fly-rod-4-piece-86-5wt~p~579pt/?filterString=fly-fishing-rods~d~6866%2F - found it here. $199

I got one myself last summer. Only used it a few times. Very nice rod.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hardy Shadow 8'6" 5wt $190

http://www.farmingtonriver.com/hardy-shadow-86-5wt-4pc-new-clearance/
out of stock

https://www.sierra.com/hardy-shadow-fly-rod-4-piece-86-5wt~p~579pt/?filterString=fly-fishing-rods~d~6866%2F - found it here. $199

I got one myself last summer. Only used it a few times. Very nice rod.
View Quote
I did see that, and considered it, but I really think I need a 4 wt.  Most of my fishing is pretty small streams, with extremely small flies, like #18 and up (smaller).  I have a 6 weight for the bigger stuff anyway.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 10:49:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used Galvin Tourques and highly recommend them. They are work horses.

The basic Ross reels are just that, basic but functional. I have some higher end one that I like a lot for 4 & 5 weights.

The rods are very personal so I recommend casting as many as you can to find the love.

Good luck and enjoy your time with your son.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Got down to the fly shop today.  They had an older Hardy Jet on substantial clearance, and I took out the Zephrus as well to compare.  I tried the Jet first, and struggled a bit with it, especially in any wind.  Tried the Zephrus, and Hnnnnggggg!  I bought it right there.
8'6" 4 weight.

Took it out on our best river today, and spent the day trying to get my son his first.  Needless to say he struggled.  moving water, and trees lining your back cast did him in.  
I only caught one, but it was a nice fat rainbow.  It was one of those moments where I took the rod, showed him a few things, and sure enough hooked up.  I felt really bad for him.  I gave him the rod quickly and let him bring it in at least.
He also needs to work on his photography skills
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have used Galvin Tourques and highly recommend them. They are work horses.

The basic Ross reels are just that, basic but functional. I have some higher end one that I like a lot for 4 & 5 weights.

The rods are very personal so I recommend casting as many as you can to find the love.

Good luck and enjoy your time with your son.
View Quote
I have a Ross Evolution LT that is pushing 10 years old that I like.  I checked out the new Ross Colorado LT today at the shop.  Holy crap that thing is light!  Under 3oz.  But, it's a click and pawl, and I'm not so sure I would like that.
They also had some very nice Hardy reels, but they were expensive!  I decided the reel can wait a bit, I have an older reel and line already.  I would like to check some more out before deciding.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have a Ross Evolution LT that is pushing 10 years old that I like.  I checked out the new Ross Colorado LT today at the shop.  Holy crap that thing is light!  Under 3oz.  But, it's a click and pawl, and I'm not so sure I would like that.
They also had some very nice Hardy reels, but they were expensive!  I decided the reel can wait a bit, I have an older reel and line already.  I would like to check some more out before deciding.
View Quote
I've got a couple of Ross Evolutions as well as a Hardy Marquis (that I bought new in 1980). But dang, I've become a huge fan of Lamson reels over the past few years. I think I own 5 now: a Liquid, 2 Remixes, and a couple of Gurus. They are light, no nonsense, fairly bombproof reels so far.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 12:19:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've got a couple of Ross Evolutions as well as a Hardy Marquis (that I bought new in 1980). But dang, I've become a huge fan of Lamson reels over the past few years. I think I own 5 now: a Liquid, 2 Remixes, and a couple of Gurus. They are light, no nonsense, fairly bombproof reels so far.
View Quote
Ya know, I have never really liked Lamson's looks.  So I didn't really check them out.  I happened to see the newer models and they really do look nice.  I'll have to see if I can find some in person.  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top