Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2007 6:08:22 PM EDT
What can you tell me about these dogs?  Post pics if you got them.

BTW Anyone know any breeders in Texas?
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know anything about them But they sure are a pretty dog and loyal
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a German Wire Haired Pointer.  Best bird dog I ever owned.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#3]
http://forum.versatiledogs.com/

You want to know about GSPs or any other versatile (multi-purpose, European) hunting dog, check out this forum.  Lots of breeders from all over the U.S. and Canada frequent the site, too.  I know that there are many breeders in Texas.

Also, look at this breed-specific page: http://www.shorthairs.net/
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you looking for a hunting dog specifically? If so, look for breeders who have proven hunting lines. The breed club website:
http://www.gspca.org/
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Please meet the breeder and pups parents. My club has ALOT of GSP's and they are so different from scared dogs to the best versatile breed you ever seen that it all depends. My friend has two GSP's and one is a paper weight while the other, still a pup, shows some better progress. Good luck with your searching!

OFFTOPIC:
Myself, I stick with Brittanies. Great family dogs, awesome hunters in a multitude of environments and did I mention great temperament and great nose!

Hunting dogs are so unique and personable, you'll have fun with whatever you get.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 2:32:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine's a Brittany, too.  Fun little dog.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 2:37:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 2:39:08 AM EDT
[#8]
pattymcn a member here is a breeder you can IM or email her for some info I'm sure.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 2:45:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#9]

Link Posted: 10/17/2009 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Best hunting dog I have ever had. She is definitely my dog, she will play with my wife and daughter, but if I leave the room, she goes with me.  She is very protective of my kid, when the coyotes start to howl or the neighbor’s dog is loose, she is glued to my daughter.  
GSP are the only dogs I will ever buy for myself.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Wonderful Dogs. This ones my 2nd. My wifes 4th. She says this one is the craziest of all. VERY high energy/maintenance. That said, she hunts like the devil, runs like the wind and will chase balls/frisbees/sticks till her paw pads fall off. Loyal, highly trainable, obedient, intelligent and protective of my 2 kids.  Make sure the breed is right for you and you will be rewarded handsomely. If this is NOT the breed for you, well, consider yourself warned. Only you can make that decision.

As a pup they need work each and every day. They need to be run each and every day. Not necessarily in the field. but they need to burn off energy or they can develop bad habits. They may not be content to sit still and watch football on Sundays - and never leave chicken wings on a TV tray while you go fetch another beer.

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Zoomer302:
Wonderful Dogs. This ones my 2nd. My wifes 4th. She says this one is the craziest of all. VERY high energy/maintenance. That said, she hunts like the devil, runs like the wind and will chase balls/frisbees/sticks till her paw pads fall off. Loyal, highly trainable, obedient, intelligent and protective of my 2 kids.  Make sure the breed is right for you and you will be rewarded handsomely. If this is NOT the breed for you, well, consider yourself warned. Only you can make that decision.

As a pup they need work each and every day. They need to be run each and every day. Not necessarily in the field. but they need to burn off energy or they can develop bad habits. They may not be content to sit still and watch football on Sundays - and never leave chicken wings on a TV tray while you go fetch another beer.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/Zoomer302/IMG_1360.jpg

I think you nailed it––––––––-all of it! Never ending energy, second only to my Vizsla. Both are inside dogs and rainy days are rough. Keep them in and deal with them bouncing off the walls or let them out and be prepared for a couple baths. I think once they turn 8 or 9 things will settle down a bit, at least that's when my 1st GSP settled down.

Link Posted: 11/11/2009 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I lost my GSP to cancer almost 2 years ago.  Still can't find it in me to replace her after almost 13 years together.  They are hunting fools with all the energy anyone could ask for and then some.  Smart, loyal, great with kids, and a nose like a vacum cleaner, nothing gets past them.  

This was her in the fall before she died.  I like GSPs with more liver color.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Karcus47:
What can you tell me about these dogs?  Post pics if you got them.

BTW Anyone know any breeders in Texas?

If you're still intersted IM me and I'll give you my website.  We'll probably be doing a litter in early 2010.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By vladimirchild:

I think you nailed it––––––––-all of it! Never ending energy, second only to my Vizsla. Both are inside dogs and rainy days are rough. Keep them in and deal with them bouncing off the walls or let them out and be prepared for a couple baths. I think once they turn 8 or 9 things will settle down a bit, at least that's when my 1st GSP settled down.

I think you two both nailed it perfectly. They have ALOT of energy and have to have lots of exercise every day. Rainy days are very hard. My dog needs 4-5 hours outside every day, and he just runs laps, chases squirrels, birds, leafs anything. I don't think I have ever been able to wear him out completely. He burns so much energy every day I just can't keep any weight on him, he is too skinny and he eats 2x the amount of my 2 Labs, and it puppy food. He passes out every night around 8:30 because of all the activity. He is one of the most loving and protective dogs I have ever had. He has brought life back to my older Labs he gets them up and playing every day. I believe he would of made a excellent field dog, but I just don't hunt.

I would not recommend a GSH unless you have a house and yard they can spend a lot of time in, they require lot of exercise and attention every day.
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Been hunting over a buddy's GSP's for over 20yrs. They are a very birdy breed that will learn as much as you are willing to teach them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#17]
They will hunt all day for you.  At the end of the day they will be laying on the couch with you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RileyF:
Originally Posted By vladimirchild:

I think you two both nailed it perfectly. They have ALOT of energy and have to have lots of exercise every day. Rainy days are very hard. My dog needs 4-5 hours outside every day, and he just runs laps, chases squirrels, birds, leafs anything. I don't think I have ever been able to wear him out completely. He burns so much energy every day I just can't keep any weight on him, he is too skinny and he eats 2x the amount of my 2 Labs, and it puppy food. He passes out every night around 8:30 because of all the activity. He is one of the most loving and protective dogs I have ever had. He has brought life back to my older Labs he gets them up and playing every day. I believe he would of made a excellent field dog, but I just don't hunt.

I would not recommend a GSH unless you have a house and yard they can spend a lot of time in, they require lot of exercise and attention every day.

All are correct in there statements. I have owned GSP's for over 20 years now. I have rescued more than 12 dogs in the last 15 years. There personalities are very unique, the breed, can vary to be very lovable like a lab, but more intense to be just the opposite. I recommend you do a lot of research and meet with breeders and owners to see how they act. They are great dogs with the right people or they can be “terrorist” for the other people.

Link Posted: 7/4/2010 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine is 8 months old and my first hunting dog, smartest bestest dog i have ever had, great with kids, easy to train, but very high energy
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 3:44:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 8/9/2010 3:59:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mryuck] [#21]
My dog Theoden off a link from the breeders site:  

I can say that this boy and I have gotten a lot of pheasants together.  We overlook each others short comings so that we can have days like the one in the picture above.  Its really hard to convey the joy in hunting with a great dog,  I hope you find yours.

I can't say enough good things about the folks at idahohuntingdogs.com  Mark and Cheryl are two people that care about their dogs and follow the progress of their pups and the homes they go to for the long haul.  

True story on the chicken wings, or in this case, my best friends 1lb of buffalo steak that his wife left on our counter for 5 minutes while she and my wife were drinkin and involved in deep conversation ...    which was 4 minutes and 30 seconds too long for a counter surfer...

Regards,

C.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:59:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PBOutdoors] [#22]
Mine is great, She is a wonderful Pheasant dog and a great family dog.

Taking a nap with my GF
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Mines now 1 year and doing great on birds, also a perfect family dog, they are counter surfers, mine goes after the kids captain crunch lol
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I am thinking of getting a GSP, dog in general, and this whole forum has been helpful.  When you train them, do they need to be on a leash. I hate keeping dogs on leashes.  And I don't want to be responsible for the death of a dog.  People told me dachshunds had to be on leashes.  Have two that are never leashed, and I get yelled at for it daily at the local park/state park, but they listen.   And most have warmed up to my 2 dachshunds.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By wwestfal:
I am thinking of getting a GSP, dog in general, and this whole forum has been helpful.  When you train them, do they need to be on a leash. I hate keeping dogs on leashes.  And I don't want to be responsible for the death of a dog.  People told me dachshunds had to be on leashes.  Have two that are never leashed, and I get yelled at for it daily at the local park/state park, but they listen.   And most have warmed up to my 2 dachshunds.

Mine pictured above is very rairly on leash. They are such fun dogs to train because they learn so fast. My pup will be 2 in July!
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 12:27:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bobweaver] [#26]
Awesome breed, not for the first timer unless you have the time to raise it correctly and the lifestyle they require.  If you want an all around bad ass hunting/family dog then give Gary a call at Westwind GSPs.  He's got true German blood and has an amazing line with genetics from some of the top GSPs in the books.  Velspar VD Westwind is my loyal hunting partner and my best friend.  He is amazing in the field and around the house.  If you decide to go the GSP route then don't make your selection without contacting Gary.  Sorry for all the pics.  I'm just so proud of him and would never have imagined what a wonderful bird dog he'd end up being with such little training.  Love him!
Day I picked him up:

Hunting quail in the Hill Country:

20 pheasant in the panhandle:

Dove hunting; his favorite:
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 1:18:16 AM EDT
[#27]
pretty much everything has been said above..and it is accurate.

We had a GSP several years ago...she was a great hunter, endless energy, but very aloof. All she wanted to do was run/hunt/chase balls....She did not like to be touched much, showed no affection towards any family members at all. When the day was done, she went into her crate and slept. Very "mechanical/professional"...She enjoyed being a hunting dog.

Many hunters/guides love a dog like this..We loved her, but always wished she was more of a 'pet" as well as a hunting partner. She also felt zero pain...She would bloody her paws often, and needed stitches a few times from running like crazy through the woods during "recreation"...We had to exercise her for at least 2 hours a day during the summer or she would be unmanageable...she would swim for hours too...

I own a Vizsla now...great bird dog, and super affectionate...loves to be by my side at all times.

As others have also said, every dog has a different personality...breeders/bloodlines are very important.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#28]
The breeder is exstremely important, dont be afraid to have a god shipped if you cant find what you want localy, my GSP is 19 months now and we had a fantastic year last year on wild birds in N. Dakota and here in Idaho, I also hunted waterfowl quite a bit in some really bas weather conditions, dog loved it and never gave up. He is also almost oo clingy in the house, to big to be on your lap all the time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I love my GSP she is a great bird dog and is like a sister to my daughters. I was practing some coyote calling in a field behind my house with my dog Lilly and a coyote came charging from a area I didnt see. My dog sprang up from next to me and got in between the coyote and me and didnt back off till the yote backed off and ran. I never had a dog so loyal and easy to train. Here are some pics of her:

And here is one of her pups for sale at the moment:
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 11/28/2011 1:11:24 AM EDT
[#31]
I have owned 3 GSP's and currently have 2....a 2yr old and my pride and joy 4yr old. GSP's are the best dog in the whole wild world in my opinion (though you couldn't tell by my username) They are great family dogs with great temprament and ar e very very intelligent. You do have to be sensative with them at times because they are a dog that aimes to please the owner and coming down hard on them can make them jumpy.....so all the love in the world is all they need to become the dog you want. They are very energetic and need alot of exercise!!! I would highly recomend doing the obedience training before you get them on birds as well....once that is done everything else will fall into place.

Here are a few crappy pics of my dogs

Doing some in house feild training on kitty cat huntin

And my old buddy Gunner who we had to put down last thanksgiving....He was a true freind and is deeply missed

I highly recommend this breed and am positive you will be happy. They are great with kids and are an all around great dog!

Link Posted: 4/20/2012 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Didn't want to start a new thread, and it seems the OP got his questions answered so..............................................................

MY Choc. Lab pup is no longer a pup.

He will soon turn 12 and unfortunately after many deployments, he never did get trained as a bird dog.

My intent was for him to be the "all around dog" . Family pet, protector, and a some hunting on the side.

I never got another dog over the years, as I didn't think it would be fair to him, to spend more time with the new dog, and to be honest, was reluctant to get a new dog, because didn't want same situation to occur.

I have owned/worked many different breeds of dogs personally and professionally. I know they all have their "issues".

A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to pheasant hunt over some outstanding dogs, but was very impressed with the GSPs.

So, thinking maybe it is time for a new pup.

This past year, I finally found that I had the time, and decided that I like waterfowl hunting.

My research has revealed that the GSPs can be a do all field dog, which brings up my question,

Does anyone here use the GSP as a waterfowl dog?

I know they are great upland dogs, but I don't see very much information on using as a water dog.

I would primarily use in the south, so temps would be around 10 degrees - 70 degerees. ( depending on our fluke weather).

Will be in small blinds and from a duck boat.

This dog will be like my others and will not be a kennel kept dog. He/She will be a member of the family and live in the house.

How much difference in needs are they from my Choc. Lab?

I have a fenced yard, I am able to be around majority of the day, take my lab to the lake or river every week for "Swim Thereapy" (really to let play)

One of the reasons, I am considering a GSP, is because all of My Labs have been 75-110 lb dogs.

I am looking for a smaller version, hunting machine, family pet, protector. I know some GSPs can get big, but looking for a 40-60 lb. dog.

I know everyone says Bloodlines, and I believe that is 97% true.

All of my other dogs have been non-papered/registered, and came from families whose dogs had pups.

They have all been great dogs. Everyone that sees my current Lab, says he would of made one heck of a duck dog. (and he came from a non hunting farm/family pet litter)

I beleieve any dog can be taught, but sometimes it is just alot easier if they have the natural instinct.

Which brings up the next point/question.

I am not opposed to getting an older 2-3 year old rescue dog. BUT..... looking online at the different GSP rescues, the majority of the "Older dogs" all say gun shy. I know from experience this is a 50/50 on being able to correct.

Also at what point is to "Old" for a GSP to hunt. I know it is based on individual as with anything, but the average?

Waterfowl training is not cheap, just looking for best decision and money spent.

THANKS
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#33]

I have an English pointer and this is my dog in a nutshell. We had to put her on doggie prosaic she she was so spooled.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By supremeweasel67:
Didn't want to start a new thread, and it seems the OP got his questions answered so..............................................................

MY Choc. Lab pup is no longer a pup.
He will soon turn 12 and unfortunately after many deployments, he never did get trained as a bird dog.
My intent was for him to be the "all around dog" . Family pet, protector, and a some hunting on the side.

I never got another dog over the years, as I didn't think it would be fair to him, to spend more time with the new dog, and to be honest, was reluctant to get a new dog, because didn't want same situation to occur.

I have owned/worked many different breeds of dogs personally and professionally. I know they all have their "issues".
A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to pheasant hunt over some outstanding dogs, but was very impressed with the GSPs.

So, thinking maybe it is time for a new pup.
This past year, I finally found that I had the time, and decided that I like waterfowl hunting.
My research has revealed that the GSPs can be a do all field dog, which brings up my question,

Does anyone here use the GSP as a waterfowl dog?
I know they are great upland dogs, but I don't see very much information on using as a water dog.

I would primarily use in the south, so temps would be around 10 degrees - 70 degerees. ( depending on our fluke weather).
Will be in small blinds and from a duck boat.

This dog will be like my others and will not be a kennel kept dog. He/She will be a member of the family and live in the house.

How much difference in needs are they from my Choc. Lab?
I have a fenced yard, I am able to be around majority of the day, take my lab to the lake or river every week for "Swim Thereapy" (really to let play)

One of the reasons, I am considering a GSP, is because all of My Labs have been 75-110 lb dogs.
I am looking for a smaller version, hunting machine, family pet, protector. I know some GSPs can get big, but looking for a 40-60 lb. dog.

I know everyone says Bloodlines, and I believe that is 97% true.
All of my other dogs have been non-papered/registered, and came from families whose dogs had pups.
They have all been great dogs. Everyone that sees my current Lab, says he would of made one heck of a duck dog. (and he came from a non hunting farm/family pet litter)

I beleieve any dog can be taught, but sometimes it is just alot easier if they have the natural instinct.
Which brings up the next point/question.
I am not opposed to getting an older 2-3 year old rescue dog. BUT..... looking online at the different GSP rescues, the majority of the "Older dogs" all say gun shy. I know from experience this is a 50/50 on being able to correct.

Also at what point is to "Old" for a GSP to hunt. I know it is based on individual as with anything, but the average?
Waterfowl training is not cheap, just looking for best decision and money spent.

THANKS

From what I read, GSP are a lot like my English pointer. That being said, Annie absolutely loves the water and swims like a fish. The only problem I see with using one as a water dog is 1) getting them to sit still in a blind and 2) keeping them warm. I saw a guy post on here that his dog ignores pain. That could be a problem for a short haired, skin and bones, muscular  type dog in possibly cold waters. I would hate to see my dog get half way to a duck, ignore a physical problem, and get Im a predicament.  That's my thought on it but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By pumbaajk:

SNIP

THANKS

From what I read, GSP are a lot like my English pointer. That being said, Annie absolutely loves the water and swims like a fish. The only problem I see with using one as a water dog is 1) getting them to sit still in a blind and 2) keeping them warm. I saw a guy post on here that his dog ignores pain. That could be a problem for a short haired, skin and bones, muscular type dog in possibly cold waters. I would hate to see my dog get half way to a duck, ignore a physical problem, and get Im a predicament. That's my thought on it but I could be wrong.

My Lab has fairly short hair, But I saw this online while researching.

terrificpets.com––-

A dense undercoat protected by the stiff body hair makes the dog water resistant and better adaptable to cold weather.

The German Shorthaired Pointer breed was developed in Germany during the 1800's for hunting. They were created by crossing old Spanish pointers with numerous other breeds such as scent hounds and tracking hounds; Foxhounds, Italian Pointers, German Tracking Hounds, German Bird Dogs, and English Pointers. The combination created a responsive, lean, hunting dog with great versatility, being able to retrieve both fur and feather, on land and water. Breeders focused on the basis of function rather than form, in creating the breed.

Wiki––-

Like the other German pointers (the German Wirehaired Pointer and the less well known German longhaired Pointer), the GSP can perform virtually all gundog roles. It is pointer and retriever, an upland bird dog and water dog. The GSP can be used for hunting larger and more dangerous game, and in addition has a scent hound's talented nose. It is an excellent swimmer but also works well in rough terrain. It is tenacious, tireless, hardy, and reliable. In short, it is a superb all-around field dog that remains popular with hunters of many nationalities

From the AKC website..........

A versatile hunter and all-purpose gun dog, the German Shorthaired Pointer possesses keen scenting power and high intelligence. The breed is proficient with many different types of game and sport, including trailing, retrieving, and pointing pheasant, quail, grouse, waterfowl, raccoons, possum, and even deer. A medium-sized breed, he has an aristocratic bearing and can be solid liver or liver and white in color.

Of course you can't "believe everything you read".
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#36]

SNIP

THANKS

From what I read, GSP are a lot like my English pointer. That being said, Annie absolutely loves the water and swims like a fish. The only problem I see with using one as a water dog is 1) getting them to sit still in a blind and 2) keeping them warm. I saw a guy post on here that his dog ignores pain. That could be a problem for a short haired, skin and bones, muscular type dog in possibly cold waters. I would hate to see my dog get half way to a duck, ignore a physical problem, and get Im a predicament. That's my thought on it but I could be wrong.

terrificpets.com––-
A dense undercoat protected by the stiff body hair makes the dog water resistant and better adaptable to cold weather.

The German Shorthaired Pointer breed was developed in Germany during the 1800's for hunting. They were created by crossing old Spanish pointers with numerous other breeds such as scent hounds and tracking hounds; Foxhounds, Italian Pointers, German Tracking Hounds, German Bird Dogs, and English Pointers. The combination created a responsive, lean, hunting dog with great versatility, being able to retrieve both fur and feather, on land and water. Breeders focused on the basis of function rather than form, in creating the breed.

Wiki––-
Like the other German pointers (the German Wirehaired Pointer and the less well known German longhaired Pointer), the GSP can perform virtually all gundog roles. It is pointer and retriever, an upland bird dog and water dog. The GSP can be used for hunting larger and more dangerous game, and in addition has a scent hound's talented nose. It is an excellent swimmer but also works well in rough terrain. It is tenacious, tireless, hardy, and reliable. In short, it is a superb all-around field dog that remains popular with hunters of many nationalities

From the AKC website..........

A versatile hunter and all-purpose gun dog, the German Shorthaired Pointer possesses keen scenting power and high intelligence. The breed is proficient with many different types of game and sport, including trailing, retrieving, and pointing pheasant, quail, grouse, waterfowl, raccoons, possum, and even deer. A medium-sized breed, he has an aristocratic bearing and can be solid liver or liver and white in color.

Of course you can't "believe everything you read".

Your probably.right. besides, they make doggie wet suits so you can protect them in extreme cold. Does your lab have some meat on its bones or is it rail thin?
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#37]

SNIP

THANKS

Your probably.right. besides, they make doggie wet suits so you can protect them in extreme cold. Does your lab have some meat on its bones or is it rail thin?
My Lab is an 87 lb. Bulldozer. Nothing gets in his way.
He is still very active at 12 yrs old, but not young enough for a full day of hunting.

He is not overwieght, and a couple of years ago, I felt sorry for the guy wearing the suit, that had to catch him for protection training.

Strong lock on bite, but will gently take treats from my little one's hand.

But that doesn't help make my decision for a GSP

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 3:18:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dtrosch] [#38]
Someone had free GSP/mix puppies in TX in a thread here within the past week.   Lemme see if I can find it.

Link Posted: 5/31/2012 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I dought it gets cold enough to hurt a GSP in Texas, i use mine in very cold temps without problems here in Id. my dog will sit just fine in a blind and has retieved over 100 ducks, I did get a Chesapeak to use at some of the exstreme cold days, 0 and below but the GSP will do it. they are great all round dogs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#40]

When she's dead.  Seriously.

GSP do alright in cold conditions, far below freezing is fine if they keep moving.  They have a considerably denser coat than, say, their Viszla cousins.  A Viszla will insist on a coat if you're wearing one.  The metabolic fires just burn hot in a GSP.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#41]
My vet says my GSP's will calm down 2 years after they're dead.  

I havnt visited this thread in a long time.  My GSP "Skeet" is addicted to water now.
I would have no problem hunting her over ducks (assuming she will sit still long enough
NOT to scare inbound birds), and this would really be my concern starting out.  She swims
so much (usually chasing ducks and geese on a pond) that she starts NOT to follow commands.

More than once I waded into said pond to convince her to come back to me - NOT good ju-ju in my book.
She was on the verge of drowning and only her nose and eyes were above water.  Good God did she go
crazy when the ducks "started their takeoff". They get so focused on one thing.....

They were bred to be "do-all" hunters and I'm sure a little time in the training mode will reap all the rewards you seek.
My .02 anyway, so take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Pontius:

When she's dead.  Seriously.

+1

They are very stubborn breed always willing to please even when they cant do it anymore.

I had a rescue that was abused really bad he was 8 when i rescued him and hips were starting to give out, but stubborn and still wanted to go out. He would tire out fast and drag his back legs using his front legs to keep going. Had to carry back to the truck. After about 3x out again  i think he finally realized he couldn't do it anymore and wouldn't demand to go out anymore when he saw the shotgun. About nine months later we had to put him down due this hips went completely out.

The bugger fought even the day i had put him down with the meds they used to put him to sleep. The vet stated hes some fighter.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#43]

He was 9 when we adopted him.  He wound up with a fused disc & pinched nerve in his back after getting older.  He is still kicking and still has all the energy of the puppy but we can no longer let him run loose for fear of doing further damage to his back (it's happened a few times now and we've almost had to put him down).  Friendliest dog every.  Loves kids, dogs, stuffed animals, and chasing deer, squirrels, birds, etc.  He will sit at the window all day long and stare at the wildlife outside.  I will miss him dearly when he is no longer here.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 9:51:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jdfworth] [#44]
Todd and Stacey Anderson of Anderson Ranch Gundogs in Decatur, TX are the best.  Todd's daughter Stacey has been training these dogs since she was running around next to her daddy at about 7 or 8 years old.  In the recent NSTRA trials in Oklahoma, 11 of the top 15 dogs were trained by Stacey.  Here is the link and below is a picture of my GSP Daisy (out of Todd's kennel) on point with some old guy that kind of looks like me:

Link Posted: 5/13/2013 9:59:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jdfworth] [#45]
Originally Posted By jdfworth:
Todd and Stacey Anderson of Anderson Ranch Gundogs in Decatur, TX are the best.  Todd's daughter Stacey has been training these dogs since she was running around next to her daddy at about 7 or 8 years old.  In the recent NSTRA trials in Oklahoma, 11 of the top 15 dogs were trained by Stacey.  Here is the link and below is a picture of my GSP Daisy (out of Todd's kennel) on point with some old guy that kind of looks like me:

http://nansonsp.smugmug.com/Family/Hunting/i-g8wPx95/0/X2/0526-X2.jpg

By the way, Stacey also took second in the NSTRA Nationals in Montana with Babe, owned by Dave Lacey.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Growing up as a kid, my dad and I raised bob whites and provided alot of birds for field trials around Texas. We had extra long flight pens built and maintained a strict minimal contact with the birds policy. We had birds that would get up and absolutely scoot which resulted in some awesome invites to watch the dogs work. I spent many weekends following my birds and watching some amazing animals with some incredible skills work the birds. The pictures above make my heart jump with memories!
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:43:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pathfinder03] [#47]
Here's a couple spoiled rotten Texas dogs!!

They're my moms dogs out in Texas. The GSP is an amazing dog. Both come from really good blood lines but have never really been trained. Mostly babied spoil rotten treatment. She's a great family dog but she will hunt, if she hears a gun action cycle she starts jumping in circles. Jumps on a pretty point without a day of training. I'm not sure how's shed do if she wasn't allowed to run free in the middle of nowhere in the woods though. She's been known to disappear for a couple days just nonstop chasing animals. She usually shows back up, drinks a whole bowl of water, eats some food then passes out for a day Haha and sometimes limping. She parties hard. Great dog though, I'll definitely own one at some point.

She got them both from a field dog kennel that had property behind her property, I'll see if I can round up some info for ya,

-edited for wrong picture
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I love my GSP.  He's 15 months old now.  He's a bit of a timid dog, very energetic, loving, and obedient.  He loves the water and chasing those pesky birds out of the yard.  He stays inside with us.  Yesterday, we left him out of his crate for 8 hours during the day with us gone, and he did fine.  He's pretty lazy if he's home during the day.  In the evening is when he gets fired up (when I get home).  He's responded very well to the e-collar.  He will hunt fairly far away on occasion but will come back in when I beep his collar.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#49]
They are definitely "high" energy.  But what a great dog for upland hunting.  They will hunt all day if you let them.  I used to take mine to a field at least 4 -5 times a week just to burn off the energy.  Doing this kept the better half happy too since the dog was bouncing off the walls.  Unfortunately I had to put her down last January and I am not afraid to admit I still miss her.  Plans are to get another GSP next spring.  I should have her trained for fall pheasants.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top