Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2021 12:36:40 AM EDT
Anybody have one?

Is it worth the money?

For some reason I’m wanting a Tomahawk.  The word itself makes me want one.  I really like the one on the POF advertisement from about 2014.

I know absolutely nothing about a Tomahawk, except it’s like a hatchet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Google "Beaver Bill Forging Works" to see some beautiful tomahawks. Probably not what you are looking for in a "using" hawk but they are something to see.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know how to put a link to it (Yea, I now ), but on page two under the "survival discussion" forum there is a thread titled "tomahawk makers". There are several links in it that may help.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.

I’ll check out both of your recommendations.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Got the Benchmade version for free years ago. Worthless POS. Lives under the passenger seat in my truck next to the fire extinguisher because it would be really good at braking car windows or prying open a door in an emergency. Other than that I can’t think of a use for one.  

The handle can’t be used for normal hatchet work. The blade is thick and the bevel is basically a splitting bevel. Crowbar end is too short because the dang handle is in the way!  

No way I would spend good money on any of those “Warhawk” style POSs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]
HB forge has some good options that are not too pricey if you want a handmade one.  They have a few different styles.  I prefer this type over production ones for looks

http://www.hbforge.com/
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know absolutely nothing about a Tomahawk, except it’s like a hatchet.
View Quote

Yes and no.  Most tomahawks have lighter heads and there's a bunch of debate on handle length.  As a "tool", they're better than a belt knife at chopping but not quite as efficient as a hatchet or smaller axe.  If used for lighter chores than an axe, they can be augmented very well with a belt knife and small saw.  

As a weapon, they have some controversial history, but there's not denying they can be quite effective.  For an outdoors hawk, I like a wood handled, friction fit head.  Cold steel or Condor Knife and Tool are good, inexpensive options.

There are a ton of "tactical hawks" and some are pretty high end and some are cheap pieces of shit.  Most are marketed as "breaching tools" but don't have robust-enough construction.  Some are pure weapons first, utility second.  

What's your budget?

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Preferred budget would be around $100.

When I first started looking, I was surprised at the price.  The Gerber is about $225.

This may sound stupid, but I do have an initial use.  I’m remodeling my house and removed the window in my office.  The office only has one door and it faces the kitchen.  Later, I will be adding an “escape exit” on the opposite wall.  I thought a Tomahawk may be a good tool to have in there to hack through some drywall in case of a fire.  Once the exit is added, I would put the Tomahawk in my SxS for other uses.

The term “breaching tomahawk” caught my attention.

The sledgehammer sitting in the corner of my office is somewhat.... ugly.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When I first started looking, I was surprised at the price.  The Gerber is about $225.

This may sound stupid, but I do have an initial use.  I’m remodeling my house and removed the window in my office.  The office only has one door and it faces the kitchen.  Later, I will be adding an “escape exit” on the opposite wall.  I thought a Tomahawk may be a good tool to have in there to hack through some drywall in case of a fire.  Once the exit is added, I would put the Tomahawk in my SxS for other uses.

View Quote

@livinfree

start reading
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Show-me-your-ccw-hatchet-tomahawk/5-2397309/

lots of good info and I went from zero tomahawks to I think 3 and a few hatchets based on this thread.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve been reading a lot since this post about tomahawks.

Do you guys really throw one of those beautiful hand made ones?

Cool stuff.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think this would serve you better trying to get through a wall.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-30-in-FatMax-Xtreme-III-FuBar-55-120/203710083?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_1_HAND_TOOLS-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-HandTools_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_1_HAND_TOOLS-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-HandTools_PLA-71700000034127224-58700003933021546-92700060764889393&gclid=CjwKCAjwu5CDBhB9EiwA0w6sLcpgiWTXkMxbDAWjFfNDyG2Nbf33_LQNEmkDejE8SLhOEKo0ZSZpiBoCpEcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I’ve been reading a lot since this post about tomahawks.

Do you guys really throw one of those beautiful hand made ones?

Cool stuff.
View Quote

I don't have any of the handmade ones, but I do throw the other random ones I have. it's fun but not something I see the need to do. Honestly I think hawks are pretty much set up as a weapon or car extraction tool. I wouldn't pick one up for what you're trying to do. I have this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEAD-ON-TOOLS-Annihilator-18-in-Wrecking-and-Utility-Bar-with-12-inch-bar-AN18/202268983?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-203710083-_-202268983-_-N

and i have used it to destroy tons of stuff for years
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one. It came very dull and was not the easiest to sharpen. More of a breaching/wrecking type axe than anything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top