Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2021 10:46:18 AM EDT
Good morning,
I ended up picking up a generator and wanted to thank the suggestions from my other post.

It's a Champion 4000W is inverter duel fuel.

Shipped with no oil, but states not to use E85. That is all I have. I haven't been able to find non E gas around me. Yet.

Is this a long term issue or could I get away with a nato can or two until I can find non E?

Also, 10w30 oil.. full synthetic the best?

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Good morning,
I ended up picking up a generator and wanted to thank the suggestions from my other post.

It's a Champion 4000W is inverter duel fuel.

Shipped with no oil, but states not to use E85. That is all I have. I haven't been able to find non E gas around me. Yet.

Is this a long term issue or could I get away with a nato can or two until I can find non E?

Also, 10w30 oil.. full synthetic the best?

Thank you
View Quote

full synthetic is probably best. also, be aware that when running that generator, it probably says to change the oil every 40 hours or so, when running it full time in a outage thats a oil change every 2 days, so keep extra oil around, oil / air filters if it needs them, power cords ( enough to reach everything ) etc.

pure gasoline.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MD

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#2]
E85 gas is up to 85% ethanol. E10 is normal pump gas and containes up to 10% ethanol.

Don’t stress it. Ethanol isn’t the scary boogeyman the internet wants you to think it is. All gas goes bad given enough exposure to air and time. Ethanol in the gas will help keep your fuel system cleaner due to the solvent action of ethanol.

I run E10 gas in everything without a single issue. It won’t hurt your generator. Your generator won’t run properly (or probably won’t run at all) on E85 which is why the manufacturer says not to use it.

Since you have a dual fuel, you have the best generator fuel available to you. If I was you, I’d run primarily on propane with gas as the backup.

NATO cans are excellent and E10 gas will keep for years (yes years) if stored in a NATO can. Just make sure they are real NATO cans and not Chinese knockoffs.

I’d run a quality synthetic. There is a lot of emotional bullshit surrounding people’s opinions on oil. Personally, I’d run Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil and not worry about it. Someone will probably come along and be horrified at my oil recommendation. Funny thing is, if I couldn’t run Mobil 1 EP for any reason, I’d pick one of the other quality oils out there. There are plenty of good ones to choose from.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Great. Thank you.

I just topped off my car at the local and it was triclean? Citgo, I think.
I looked everywhere and didn't see any E ratings...

And I don't mind using propane.

We typically have 1 or 2 outages a year. And they haven't gone more than 24 hours..
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I like propane for our current 7kw portable & keep a half dozen BBQ size bottles in the tractor shed primarily for it.  Before we put in the 22kw whole house unit I used to keep 60+ gallons of gas in 5 gallon jugs for the old 5kw portable.  Propane is a lot simpler for long term storage, no worries about rotating stock or draining the tank between uses prior to storage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top