Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2022 9:12:37 PM EDT
So what container are you using for generator gas storage and where are you storing it?

Availble storage locations for me are garage or storage shed in the back yard.

Container size, 5-10 gallons.

Optionally, I could convert to duel fuel (propane).

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Um, gas cans?  

I store mine in the garage, because that's where the generator is.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I was looking into a dual fuel conversion for my champion, but ended up buying a dual fuel duromax 4850. It's been great.

Obviously runtime could vary greatly for everyone depending on many factors, but during our last multi-day outage a few years ago I consistently got 12 hours of use (one day for me since I shutdown at night) with a 20lb tank with some leftover in the tank. I've got a 100lb tank with a 20' hose setup in addition to my 20 lb tanks.

When it looks like we have a hurricane coming our way I fill up a few 5 gallon cans, but the rest of the time I don't store gasoline. The gas is backup if I deplete propane or need it for vehicles. If storm passes, it goes in the cars.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Um, gas cans?  

View Quote
Paper, cardboard, plastic, steel, etc.? Sealing, pouring? How safe is the container in 90*-100* ambient temps?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I use both plastic and metal cans.

They are stored in my metal shed that gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter with no issues.

The metal cans seal better and are good for at least a year.

If my fuel gets a year old or so I run it through our vehicles and refill the jugs.

It rarely gets that old since I use if for mowing, my outboard, motorcycle and other small engine items.

Only buy ethanol free fuel and use fuel stabilizer.

Our generator is dual fuel so I keep a decent amount of propane cylinders on hand also.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Paper, cardboard, plastic, steel, etc.? Sealing, pouring? How safe is the container in 90*-100* ambient temps?
View Quote

How frequently does answering this question result in someone disclosing too much information and getting themselves jacked?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How frequently does answering this question result in someone disclosing too much information and getting themselves jacked?
View Quote
What?

The response above yours was very helpful.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the idea of using race cans. Throw in some stabilizer. Recycle annually.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#8]
If you aren't using it for other things, like mowers, etc. I'd do like what others have said and run it through some of your vehicles so it stays fresh.  I always add Sta-Bil to mine over the winter.

Also, it goes without saying, but run your generator at least once per quarter.   I small space heater makes a great resistance grid and run it like that for 30 minutes or so.  That keeps everything in good running order and keeps the carb with fresh fuel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#9]
5 and 6 gallon plastic cans stored in a shed. Use Stabil

I have about 80 gallons stored
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:50:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I have gas that is over 3 years old and is fine. I don't use fuel stabilizers, they are a gimmick. I use ethanol free gas and store it in metal cans with a good seal on the lid. Gas does not go bad because it is old, it goes bad when the volatiles evaporate, which can happen in plastic containers. The plastic allows the fumes to pass through. Those who rode vintage dirt bikes know this, it's why the decals on the tank kept peeling off.

The "varnish" that you find in an old tank or carburetors is what's left after a long bout of evaporation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:01:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Wavian.

https://www.zoro.com/wavian-528-gal-20-l-red-cold-rolled-steel-gas-can-2238c/i/G8589104/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping%20feed&utm_content=free%20google%20shopping%20clicks&gclid=CjwKCAjwyaWZBhBGEiwACslQo6SwSXwpOGH2jVSgR02ru4Gqx4hWrFuMxNKhcYoucZkgx8-ZGkZFVRoCbDMQAvD_BwE
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:25:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Avoid Ethanol boosted gasoline - (AKA Run the Pure Stuff) - it will last longer with fewer issues - especially in carbureted small engines.

Fuel Stabilizers are great if you will keep it a year, but I rotate my fuel cans about every 6-9 months up to a year into the towing truck with zero issues.

I'll pour a 5 gallon jerry can in - fill with "fresh gas" from the pump and refill the jerry can with fresh "Straight" gasoline.  I made a simple tag with a zip tie & folded over duct tape that I write with a sharpie the fill date of the can so I can see how long it's been in storage.

Hope this helps!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:59:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I use primarily diesel and propane for my generators but do store about 65 gallons of gas and 25 gallons of diesel. I have two steel job boxes and the gas and diesel cans are in the job boxes. One holds 12 cans of gas and the other smaller job box holds the diesel and propane. I always have one can out to be used so I have 13 cans of gas in constant rotation. Each can is numbered and lets say I use can number 10, it gets refilled and I put it back in the job box and pull out can number 11 to use next etc.

I use metal NATO cans from Atlantic British. I’ve tried a lot of can types but have settled on the NATO cans as the best ones for my purposes.

I use only ethanol containing gas and run it in everything with zero problems. Gas will keep for many years as long as it’s well sealed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I have tried a number of different gas storage strategies and the think that works the best for me is five gallon Wavian gas cans.   They aren't cheap but they are worth it.  

I tried 55 gallon drums but getting fuel out of them was a chore and I always ended up with gas some place that I didn't want it.   Rotating fuel supplies was a hassle as well.   I would be filling one drum while using fuel from the other.  

The plastic cans with CARB compliant nozzles take forever to dump fuel from.   That isn't so bad when filling the lawn mower or generator but a real pain when trying to rotate it through the vehicles.   I would stand there for multiple minutes for each can waiting for it to drain into the vehicle.  I tried switching some of the nozzles for universal "water" type nozzles and adding vents to the cans but and although not dealing with the valve in the nozzle was nicer, the gas didn't flow much faster.  

Wavians are the way to go.   Wavian cans seal really well.   You can leave a full gas can in your vehicle for weeks and not be able to tell that it is back there.   Gas also pours really fast from the Wavians.   I timed it and I think that it is about 40 seconds to empty a can if I recall correctly.   I put the nozzle into the fuel neck of the vehicle, invert the can, and stand there for a few seconds, and the can is empty.   Rotate the can 180 degrees and remove the nozzle from vehicle fuel neck.   If any gas is spilled it is measured in drops.  

I keep a few Wavian cans, without stabil, locked in the shed which is away from the house.  Generally I put cans away or get cans out later in the evening to not draw too much attention to it.   How many you need really depends on you.   How big is your generator?   How long do you want to run it?   How large is the load?   Do you need gas for lawn equipment?  Your vehicles?   Generally I will refill a can within days of emptying it and I keep them rotated.   Gas is often stored for more than a year without issues and I think a lot of that is due to the cans sealing.  

I hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Ethanol free in a dozen MFCs in my fuel storage shed away from the house.
I add a double dose of Stabil just in case.
Rotate it through my yard machines.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Usually have a couple of 55 gal drums Sunoco race fuel ,several 5 gal race cans with "clear" ,and 4-5 propane tanks all stored in a shed  or my enclosed trailer during riding season.
Have a dual fuel Champion generator that I picked up from TSC late last year ,only issue is keeping a charge on the generators battery ,no power in this shed.
Had a new panel installed last year that included a breaker for the external 50 amp plug outside the garage for using the generator.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#18]
If you prefer the metal NATO style cans (as I do) and store them in an unheated shed, a good tip is to set your cans on one of those rubber horse mats that you can buy at any hardware store instead of letting them stand on the floor.  The holes in the mats will help reduce the chance of your cans rusting from contact with the moisture on the floor.  

I prefer metal cans for storage over plastic.  Plastic cans can become brittle as they go through heat/cold cycles, especially in an unheated shed.  However, I keep some plastic cans around as they make pouring easier.  

I don't like to store gas or propane in my (attached) garage due to the fire risk.  However, your shed (like mine) probably isn't as secure as your garage.  It's not an easy decision but I would prefer the shed over the garage for that reason.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#19]
NATO cans are the best. The donkey dick sometimes leaks a bit, but when well kept, they’re very user friendly, tough, and flow well.

Second are generic plastic with a separate vent for me. Sometimes I leave the vent closed when filling the walk behind mower, so it doesn’t flow so quickly and over fill the little tank.

I’ve stored pump gas with ethanol for over a year using Stabil. Usually we rotate stock every 6 months, or if the price of gas plummets, I’ll cycle it out.

Doesn’t seem to be an issue stored in my shed, away from my house. They’re in the shade but the shed is well vented. I try not to store any bulk flammables like that in the house. Besides having to remove them so I can grind and stick weld in the garage… it’s just another overall hazard mitigated. My neighbors are close enough (60ft?) that I could see flames jumping. It won’t be a great loss if my shed goes up.

Propane definitely keeps better, and is much safer to handle. Can just wheel a 100lb tank around on a dolly, or use a good long hose if possible.

Remember to drain the tank and fuel bowl in your generator for long storage or you’ll have a gummed up carb when you need it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you aren't using it for other things, like mowers, etc. I'd do like what others have said and run it through some of your vehicles so it stays fresh.  I always add Sta-Bil to mine over the winter.

Also, it goes without saying, but run your generator at least once per quarter.   I small space heater makes a great resistance grid and run it like that for 30 minutes or so.  That keeps everything in good running order and keeps the carb with fresh fuel.
View Quote

I run my genny about once a quarter but I run it with the fuel off before I shut it down; is that a bad idea?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Forget Stabil……it’s shit, order yourself some SENTRY it never goes bad, had fuel in my generators for YEARS only poured one cap full of sentry in each and gas was always clear and good to go.

Yes you don’t want to store your generator with gas still in the Carb……..turn full off and let it run till it stops.  It’s always wise to manually drain what’s in the carb before storing it or running it with fuel off to burn up what’s left in the carb.

Link Posted: 1/21/2023 5:40:32 AM EDT
[#22]
20L cans in the garage. I keep around 60 gallons on hand, but cycle through it frequently.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been storing about 40gal of ethanol free in plastic cans out in the shed. I use Stabil and mark the month/year of the gas on the can. I try to cycle the gas every year.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Plain Jane 5gallon gas can, every other month I pour it into my vehicle and refill the can and put it back in the shed.
Course I fire my generator and other gas powered yard tools up pretty regularly, so sometimes I just refill the gens tank, pour what's left into my truck and fill the can back up and put into shed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Ethanol free gas in 5 gal Wavian Jerry Cans in the shed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
5 and 6 gallon plastic cans stored in a shed. Use Stabil

I have about 80 gallons stored
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Ethanol free in two 50gal drums with GPA hand pump. Diesel in a 100gal tank with GPA hand pump stored in the barn.

I have a few 5 gallon cans with a petcock style drain I use for filling my generator up by the house.

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I use new wavian cans with ethanol free gas and PRI-G stabiliser.  Rotate every year.

Didn't want plastic cans full of flammable.  Also keep paint thinners and the like in a steel cabinet,  don't have a fireproof, but it is close.

Hoping the above buys time in the event of a fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top