Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2020 10:47:43 AM EDT
I need a string trimmer. We bought our first house this fall and haven’t got a trimmer yet. Majority of use will just be around the house, trees, sidewalks, and fencing. We have almost a 3/4 acres lot. I have some Dewalt 20V tools and Kobalt 24V tools so the idea of using those batteries for a trimmer is appealing. However, I’ve always used gas equipment for lawn care. Should I consider a kobalt of dewalt trimmer or just go buy a stihl or husky 2 stroke?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not used the newest generation of battery but 3/4acre would be way too big for the past generation of batt power.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I currently have a gas weedeater. When it dies, it will be replaced with a battery powered one.  I have over an acre with a fair amount of trimming to do and am confident I could do it on one charge with a new trimmer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#3]
We have an acre.  I have both a battery powered (brand is no longer made) and gas.

I can do it with the battery unit, but it takes 2 charges to do it all.  I can get around 75% of the yard on one charge.  I think with a couple battery packs youd be 'ok'

They don't have the speed or power of the gas units - they are fine if your dealing with grass.  Not so much if you have any heavy stalked weeds (knapweed, pig weed, etc).  They are light and quiet, they dont throw grass etc. with enough force to where you need to wear jeans or something to avoid being plastered with grass.

I'm glad I have both.  I can use the gas one if I have a lot to do or I or the wife can grab the electric for a quick trim around thd patio without fooling with noise and gas.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 battery trimmers.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to stick with gas and just picked up a straight shaft Stihl FS56 from my local dealer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a 60 volt flex. Dewalt battery trimmer.  It’s pretty cool
Get some better line than the dewalt line it comes with.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Either buy a higher end gas trimmer or 2 or 3 batteries for electric so you can finish the job and not wait for 1 battery to charge and hold you back. It is just like having a spare gas can to refill.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#9]
2 stokes require minimal maintenance.  Buy gas and go.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I got sick and tired of my gas ones never working. I had Echo and Troy-Bilt and they both started great and went to crap quickly.

I switched to a Kobalt 40V and it's been great. Just pull the trigger and it goes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#11]
So far so good with this Stihl. I just did my whole yard and it has plenty of power for anything that I’ll be cutting down. I always have mixed gas ready for my saw so that is not an issue. If we get a bigger place in the future, I’ll consider upgrading to the commercial grade but for now I think this FS56 will do me well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I do 2 acres of yard, including 2 big ponds, with a Ryobi 40 volt. You’ll want an extra battery or two. Overall I find the battery unit way less hassle than a gas engine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WingsFan86:
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to stick with gas and just picked up a straight shaft Stihl FS56 from my local dealer.
View Quote

You choose wisely.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 12mm:
Either buy a higher end gas trimmer or 2 or 3 batteries for electric so you can finish the job and not wait for 1 battery to charge and hold you back. It is just like having a spare gas can to refill.
View Quote

Newer electric trimmers are much better than that. I have an EGO trimmer, could easily do OP's yard on one charge. Even if you need to recharge, it only takes 30 min. Go inside, get a drink, put away the lawnmower, and it's ready to go again.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Kilroytheknifesnob:

Newer electric trimmers are much better than that. I have an EGO trimmer, could easily do OP's yard on one charge. Even if you need to recharge, it only takes 30 min. Go inside, get a drink, put away the lawnmower, and it's ready to go again.
View Quote

Same here.  I use one of the 40V trimmers from Lowes, and have a 1 acre property.  Never have run out of battery trimming around everything.  I love the fact that it uses the same battery as the hedge trimmer and little chainsaw, charges quickly.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Had a 40V Ryobi for a couple of years, but we moved to more land and it couldn't handle the extra work or the denser weeds around the pond. Just picked up a new Husqvarna straight shaft and am loving the hell at what this thing is capable of going through. I think I need a face shield as it's like taking bb gun fire to the face with some of these plants...
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#19]
really like my Makita 36v trimmer. I'm all in on their 18v batteries/tools so it makes sense. We have about 1/2 an acre and can do it twice with charge to spare.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top