Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2021 8:47:25 PM EDT
Thinking of upgrading my Garmin from the e10

Would like to get a US map download  

Navigation in a world where things are getting shut down and restricted could be tricky.

Then again, this all relies on satellites not being shut down.  

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like my GPSMAP 64ST.

I use rechargeable batteries in it. I primarily use it for navigation on my ATVs and RZR. Have RAM mounts for them. I’ve also used it for hiking and it works well for that too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:54:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like my GPSMAP 64ST.

I use rechargeable batteries in it. I primarily use it for navigation on my ATVs and RZR. Have RAM mounts for them. I've also used it for hiking and it works well for that too.
View Quote
Have the same (plus others) and love it. I use eneloops and got the SEUS topo from gpsfilesdepot.com. There are maps for just about anywhere there.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Have the same (plus others) and love it. I use eneloops and got the SEUS topo from gpsfilesdepot.com. There are maps for just about anywhere there.
View Quote

I think I got the recommendation for gpsfiledepot map files from you and have downloaded maps from there for my use. I have had a few problems downloading maps and getting them to work and it seems like a rather complex process. Have you seen the same or similar issues with their maps?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:39:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it's kind of a process. You download the map to your computer, then you have to use a program to download it to your unit. Before basecamp there was another garmin program to transfer files but I think they did away with it and you have to use basecamp now.

To make it more confusing you have a choice to download it to the unit or a card (if your unit takes one). If the unit or card is not big enough you can choose just the section you want, on my vista I am limited.

To make it more confusing if you move the map file you downloaded to a different place on your computer it won't work.

If you are downloading the map file to a card it takes a lot longer to do it through the unit, than if the card is plugged directly in the computer.

Once all that's done you have to go into setup maps and make sure you have the maps selected that you want to display.

It's been awhile since I've done it but I think those are the steps I followed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:48:27 AM EDT
[#5]
If your going anywhere near or on water get one of the Garmin 78 series.
Waterproof and floats.

I really need a new one and hopefully will have enough saved by spring.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah, it's kind of a process. You download the map to your computer, then you have to use a program to download it to your unit. Before basecamp there was another garmin program to transfer files but I think they did away with it and you have to use basecamp now.

To make it more confusing you have a choice to download it to the unit or a card (if your unit takes one). If the unit or card is not big enough you can choose just the section you want, on my vista I am limited.

To make it more confusing if you move the map file you downloaded to a different place on your computer it won't work.

If you are downloading the map file to a card it takes a lot longer to do it through the unit, than if the card is plugged directly in the computer.

Once all that's done you have to go into setup maps and make sure you have the maps selected that you want to display.

It's been awhile since I've done it but I think those are the steps I followed.
View Quote

I’ll try a couple of those tips next time I try to download a map.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe I saw some SD cards that come preloaded with maps of certain areas right?

I’d probably just buy the area I’m looking for.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I got a bluechart map for mine when we got a boat. They're kind of expensive.

Keep in mind the storage capacity of your unit. I like to map out certain regions with my own tracks and waypoints. I think you can direct where things get written.

Also be careful of what you delete, some people delete the wrong files making their unit inoperable.

I used to frequent the gps and garmin forums, I've gotten a little rusty but plowing through and manipulating the files on your unit can be tricky.  I frequently back mine up. Garmin basecamp kind of does this but I've never really warmed up to that program. I used to use easy gps to make sets of data. I've mapped 3 hunt clubs and have the data saved but have removed some sets from my gps mostly so I can free up names.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top