Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2022 4:15:17 PM EDT
How many hams also have a GMRS license? I've got a few of the GMRS/FRS radios, but don't use them a whole lot. There are GMRS repeaters in the area, but not sure how much I'd use em. I guess for $35, it probably can't hurt.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I accidentally let mine expire.  Didn't feel like getting a new callsign.  I don't really miss it, even though there's at least 1 GMRS repeater I can hit with an HT from the house.

Now that FRS is 22 channels, there's less of a reason to bother with it.  Basically it's just for mobile and repeater use.  Anyone I need to talk to on radio is a ham around here, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I accidentally let mine expire.  Didn't feel like getting a new callsign.  I don't really miss it, even though there's at least 1 GMRS repeater I can hit with an HT from the house.

Now that FRS is 22 channels, there's less of a reason to bother with it.  Basically it's just for mobile and repeater use.  Anyone I need to talk to on radio is a ham around here, anyway.
View Quote

My main reasons are 95% to be able (legally) to use part 95 radios instead of bubble pack FRS. The other 5% is random gee whiz, using repeaters, having a backup, etc.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a couple active GMRS repeaters in Houston, so I keep mine up on the off-random chance I might choose to join a net someday.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have mine. But other than my son and I goofing off around the house, I've never used them. We have two GMRS repeaters around here. Haven't heard anyone on there so far.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I do...

Used to have a GMRS repeater running. Just need a new mast to get it set up again.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:47:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I do, mainly because I'm riding with lmr radios.  Still carry a Rino as a spare radio/gps.  
Handful of repeaters in a few areas I ride, so I'll add those to my arsenal.  Rarely use them though.

For the price, if you're already in the system, what's another callsign to manage.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 2:54:47 AM EDT
[#7]
No interest in funding usurpers of human rights.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No interest in funding usurpers of human rights.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#9]
[ colonel Stonehill] No!  2 meters iis vexing enough!!

[/colonel Stonehill]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have mine. But other than my son and I goofing off around the house, I've never used them. We have two GMRS repeaters around here. Haven't heard anyone on there so far.
View Quote

I've actually picked up a fair amount of GMRS repeater traffic in the area; some are hams that want to get away from the local ham repeater politics.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I had mine, let it lapse and then reapplied for it for reasons unknown to me (I have VHF and UHF itinerants). I was going to program up the two repeaters here in DFW but one requires MDC and while most of my UHF radios support MDC...I'm curently too lazy to go find them as I've got a EFJ VP6330 sitting on my desk that isn't licensed for MDC (I'll add it to the list of features I need to have added to it but not a top priority right now).
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I've thought about it.  I use the GMRS repeaters and commercial radio and honestly $35 for 10 years isn't bad to be legit.

There's not many reasons TOO do it but there's also not many reasons not to.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a GMRS license, but never really use it. The only time those radios get dragged out is when I am out with the Jeep club. They use them to manage the group of Jeeps out on the trail, and I doubt if any(?) of the others are licensed.. I haven't gone on a trail run in a long time. I should get the radios out and see if I can pick up anything local...
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm a HAM that also has a GMRS license.  For $70 for 10 years I figured why not? Its the price of one Gourmet shit coffee from Starbucks once a year.

I also got in before the HAM License $35 fee so I dont know if thats also a contributing factor of yours as well.  Its cool to have both I suppose. Im just a General though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Have both my Tech and GMRS.

I use my amateur radios almost daily.
I only use my GMRS when doing something like Camping, Geocaching, Hiking, Off Roading.  

To be honest, I have shitty Cobra Bubble packs that aren't programmable or Repeater capable.  
Also, we have no GMRS repeaters within 80+ miles of us that I've seen on any official listings.

The neat/positive thing is, I have scanned 24x7 for weeks and every so often and never heard a peep in my AO.
So that means, I pretty much have multiple wide open, uncontested Channels to use when we want to use them, providing we stay in acceptable range of each other.

Worth while or not depends on each users needs and expectations.
If the range will work for you, then they are awesome, cheap and easy to use.  Even the programmable ones and Chirp.
Many are looking for a bit too much, range wise for GMRS and too me fair, Many are looking for more than they'll realistically get out of a 2m Simplex set up too though.  

Needs, Range and Wants?  Those are they key questions each person or group needs to ask themselves.  Is this right for me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Midland has really gone on an advertising blitz on FB. I see their ads all the time now.

It’s worth having a radio or two that does GMRS.  Especially for off-roading type stuff with a club or group rides, where it has almost entirely replaced CB.

Whether that means you may personally feel the need to have the license is another story. But… it’s not expensive.  Low risk. Low reward, really.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've actually picked up a fair amount of GMRS repeater traffic in the area; some are hams that want to get away from the local ham repeater politics.
View Quote
That's awesome. I kinda hope it picks up around here. I need to ID more often.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#18]
There is an active repeater group in this area, just across the river.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I paid for one last year so wife and I could use the repeater 14 air miles away on an excellent site. Then the repeater went down and couldn't be fixed. The group has a better one, but the group's tech hasn't had time to tune the duplexer. Maybe it'll be back up before hunting season. Cell coverage sucks in the hills around here. For low power simplex or FRS use, I wouldn't have bothered with the license.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I applied yesterday; got the call sign at 2am this morning. lol...for the price, why the eff not. Now to find my Garmin Rhinos (supposedly support repeater use  AND position beaconing).
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I applied yesterday; got the call sign at 2am this morning. lol...for the price, why the eff not. Now to find my Garmin Rhinos (supposedly support repeater use  AND position beaconing).
View Quote

Sounds about right.
I applied for my GMRS late last year, got it the next AM like you.

A few weeks later, I passed the tech test, between the VE sending it in and the fcc doing their part it was almost 2 weeks before I got anything from them.

Someone on here actually found mine online and sent it too me, before the govt did...

Glad I got both through, each has their uses and I enjoy "playing radios" and messing with all this stuff.

When I 1st started reading about it and getting into it, I mistakenly though, this will be much cheaper than guns...
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When I 1st started reading about it and getting into it, I mistakenly though, this will be much cheaper than guns...
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#23]
yup.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
This right here. I have found this to be the case. No local repeaters but we are working on that. The main local hams are jerks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There are a couple active GMRS repeaters in Houston, so I keep mine up on the off-random chance I might choose to join a net someday.
View Quote

yea im on gmrs in houston all the time.. it,s a tool.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

yea im on gmrs in houston all the time.. it,s a tool.
View Quote
I'll keep it in mind next time I'm over there. Are they tied together?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:36:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I’ll amend my statement to “at least one” active GMRS repeater in the Houston area. I have my dual band set up to scan GMRS channels but haven’t paid enough attention to recognize then different ones, if there is more than one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sure it's due to my moutaintop location, but I pick up legit nets (generally prepper nets) multiple times per week on MURS, FRS/GMRS where I am.

I was genuinely surprised by both the amount and content of traffic. It's more than the local 2M repeater has.

Protip: even in my advantaged location, I almost never pick up traffic on the 500mW FRS channels, so if you don't want
to be heard, FRS channels 8-14 are a better bet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 1:07:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'll amend my statement to "at least one" active GMRS repeater in the Houston area. I have my dual band set up to scan GMRS channels but haven't paid enough attention to recognize then different ones, if there is more than one.
View Quote
I'll still check it out. I'm only about 45 mins from there. So I'm usually over there fairly often.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’ll amend my statement to “at least one” active GMRS repeater in the Houston area. I have my dual band set up to scan GMRS channels but haven’t paid enough attention to recognize then different ones, if there is more than one.
View Quote

I wouldn't be surprised if there were linked multicast machines down there. We have a linked GMRS system that covers most of southern AZ and the majority of NM. Vote scan with a decent mobile makes that a very user-friendly system; I use it far more than amateur.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I was farting around this weekend, and remembered that I have a pair of Garmin Rhino 120s (GPS enabled FRS/GMRS). Sure as shit, they support repeater channels and CTCSS/PL. Luckily, my local GMRS repeater also uses tones on it's output, as this radio cannot use tones for TX only.

Kind of a handy gee-whiz. And if one were so inclined, they could use the repeater to relay location info.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#32]
What's the rule for GMRS and data.  I originally thought they were strictly voice only but the fact that radios like that rino can send GPS data suggests some kinds of data is permitted.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What's the rule for GMRS and data.  I originally thought they were strictly voice only but the fact that radios like that rino can send GPS data suggests some kinds of data is permitted.
View Quote
Data rules are quite restrictive. You can read the regulations at the following link:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95/subpart-E
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Data rules are quite restrictive. You can read the regulations at the following link:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Digital data.  GMRS hand-held portable units may transmit digital data containing location information, or requesting location information from one or more other GMRS or FRS units, or containing a brief text message to another specific GMRS or FRS unit.

I guess the text message part is something to interpret creatively.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:16:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Don't forget that there are also channel restrictions and length restrictions on GMRS data. And no data transmission allowed from mobile or fixed stations, handheld only.

That said, nobody, including the FCC, is going to notice if you bend some of these rules, with the possible exception of the channel restrictions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top