Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2019 8:55:17 PM EDT
Starting my 1st GHB. Going with swiss gear backpack, not flashy. Any tips on non standard stuff is appreciated, thank you. Lots of info on the internet. I work 10 minutes from home in the core of Milwaukee as a manufacturing supervisor so it would be an interesting walk home if SHTF.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#2]
You're obviously not enduring a super long walk to get home, so you probably don't need a lot of food, water and such.

First you have to consider personal security and whether a firearm/knife are feasible to have at your workplace, or whether you can secure your bag while at work, if you keep those with you.  I don't know what Wisconsin law states about either, so I'm no help there.

Some people plan for being afoot, some just want a bag in their vehicle with certain staples inside.

Flashlights, maybe a mylar blanket, spare batteries, a SAK, some duct tape, a few snacks/water, small first aid kit for blisters and scraps, etc..

Chris
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Those 4 way keys for exterior industrial water spigots can be nice.

Don't forget work gloves. Makes climbing fences much nicer. That said, sometimes going through it is easier, so maybe a small cutter for chain link? You never know...

Cash. A hundred or two in fives and tens.

5HR Energy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Spare socks, and if you regularly wear shoes or boots you wouldn't want to be walking home in, appropriate footwear.
Calories, something that will last. I'm starting to lean toward putting a high calorie protein powder in my stuff. The water I have and can get more of, and I've always got a shaker bottle around since I use them as regular water bottles as well as shakers. 500 or so good calories plus hydration from an ounce or two of powder that will keep for a long time isn't a bad option. That will probably be the biggest shift in my gear this year.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#5]
10 miles is easily within the walking distance regardless you where you are, and short of a nuclear hit, you need to get out of your building and hit the road.  Look at the videos of the people on 9/11 in NYC.  I keep my get home bag in the trunk of my car.  If I had the room.  I'll put a folding bike in there as well.

Tier 1. Comfortable clothing and walking shoes, security equipment depending on your laws, small knife, cash in small bills, poncho, a couple of bottles of water, trail mix, a quality emergency blanket, your phone, a battery bank for your phone, N95/100 mask, headlamp, maybe an HT radio (but you need to know how to use it), and others

Tier 2. Prepare for an overnight stay - Skills, more food and water, sleeping bag, a better knife, solar panel to charge the battery bank, ...
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the mental exercise of planning GHB.  Honestly, I think a lot of people tend to over think / over pack.

KISS is important here.  You dont need 14 knives or a 6 person tent.  Getting home is going to be during the initial phase of whatever occurs, and a lot of services and infrastructure will probably still be in place.  I suspect that most people will be able to get home without additional equipment and supplies. That said, you can give yourself a fantastic advantage with a few items.  Heres my bag contents:

Maxpedition Falcon II   (I also subscribe to the grey man idea of using a quality school bag for this, as it doesnt scream: this guy has supplies, mi wife's bag is a jansport)

Hiking shoes and socks

IFAK to include ace bandages, moleskin

rain suit in a subdued color

winter hat

work gloves

space blanket

water bladder

Gerber Multi Tool Core

Mora fire knife knife

duct tape

contractor bags

paracord

solar / crank phone charger / weather radio

flashlights (handheld and headlamp, both AA, extra batteries

Fatmax crescent wrench wrench  Has a hammer face, pry tool and crescent wrench

Smooth edge can opener can opener no sharp edges, can can be re-used for a container

food items:

spork

stainelss mug

tuna packets and disassembled MRE
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#8]
to get home in a short distance?

weapon
mags
flashlight
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#9]
While 10 miles isn't much you also have to consider the conditions.  If in a downtown urban area, how is the day-to-day threat?  It will likely be worse if the SHTF is a race-riot, Antifa protest, major power outage, terrorist attack, etc.

Weather will be an impactor.  Winter and summer will have debilitating affects if not properly dressed or hydrated; hot weather seems to bring out the crazy in many people.  While you should be able to trek home easily with very little, you may get a late start, get delayed, or have to reroute and extend the distance.  It seems like most disasters kick off at the end of the day and could delay you to the point you may have to navigate at night.  A flashlight is critical, especially in an urban area.  Even deep inside a factory, a major power outage can turn into disaster trying to navigate with no illumination.

I would have some blue-collar clothes common to the area on hand, a case of water at work.  Keep a light on your body and if possible a handgun (or at least in your vehicle or office).  With an urban environment, you have additional threat vectors: fire, smoke, dust, falling debris, rubble, exposed rebar, sharp objects, broken glass, spilled fluids, raw sewage, electrical hazards, etc.  Consider even a simple dust/smoke mask, leather gloves, eye-protection, and study shoes/boots.

Have a radio or pay attention to whatever the disturbance is and have a map of your city.  A quick walk into the middle of a riot wouldn't be advisable, but a scanner could help avoid such areas.  Some roads my be blocked or are medical triage areas that you won't be able to traverse.

A good book to consider is How to Survive Anywhere by Christopher Nyerges

Back when I was on Active Duty several years ago, I had a job where I traveled a lot here in CONUS and mostly to cities where we had bases.  I built a kit I could travel with when using my truck or a rental car (used a downsized kit when flying).  Mine was pretty robust, but you can streamline with much of what I recommended above.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those 4 way keys for exterior industrial water spigots can be nice.

Don't forget work gloves. Makes climbing fences much nicer. That said, sometimes going through it is easier, so maybe a small cutter for chain link? You never know...

Cash. A hundred or two in fives and tens.

5HR Energy.
View Quote
These Knipex cutters are small, light weight  and eat chain link wire for snack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top