Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2019 2:34:00 PM EDT
Looking at boats again - Focused on Outboard powered boats, wide deep V style (90"+ beam), in the 17-19' range.  Something I can fish out of, yet still take the kids tubing on the odd occasion that they go with me.

Seem to be a LOT of 4 stroke Yamaha 115hp outboards on boats such as these.  Anyone have opinions on these?  I don't know anyone with a yamaha outboard at all...

I'd really prefer to stick to a Mercury or Honda outboard, and I'm seeing SOME mercs but almost zero Hondas.  I only seem to see them on Pontoons.

Any others I should be open to?

Are the 90's models Johnson/Evinrude good?  Parts availability?  I had 77 Johnson and parts were still fairly easy to get, but they were simpler back then....
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Long drive but I have a well maintained 2007 ( I think) Kenner 18 footer with a Merc 90. Stored inside and has a bolt on Bimini top with rocket tubes. Nice GPS. $10k  I'd have to go look but I believe it has about 30 hours on it. I have 3 other boats and I'm getting ready to move. Selling out of everything prior to the move. Welder's gone, one generator is gone, MUCH more to go as I just started.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yamaha's are good motors.

Lots of them and mercs running around here in AK.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 8:44:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPK] [#3]
First hand experience with Yamaha, Suzuki and they are excellent.

I hear Honda is gtg.

Pass on Mercury. Mine sucks and is a constant pita.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By eclark53520:
Looking at boats again - Focused on Outboard powered boats, wide deep V style (90"+ beam), in the 17-19' range.  Something I can fish out of, yet still take the kids tubing on the odd occasion that they go with me.

Seem to be a LOT of 4 stroke Yamaha 115hp outboards on boats such as these.  Anyone have opinions on these?  I don't know anyone with a yamaha outboard at all...

I'd really prefer to stick to a Mercury or Honda outboard, and I'm seeing SOME mercs but almost zero Hondas.  I only seem to see them on Pontoons.

Any others I should be open to?

Are the 90's models Johnson/Evinrude good?  Parts availability?  I had 77 Johnson and parts were still fairly easy to get, but they were simpler back then....
View Quote

Stay away from the 90's model Johnson/Evinrudes parts are hard to get. Everyone I talked to that's had Yamaha seems to like them. Honda's are expensive but don't seem to see them in the shop like you do the Mercury's. But then again Mercury's probably out sale them ten to one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a Yamaha 70 on my pontoon, it was never an issue.

Re-powered with a Mercury 115 which has also been great.

No experience with this, but was told by several people to avoid Suzuki.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
Long drive but I have a well maintained 2007 ( I think) Kenner 18 footer with a Merc 90. Stored inside and has a bolt on Bimini top with rocket tubes. Nice GPS. $10k  I'd have to go look but I believe it has about 30 hours on it. I have 3 other boats and I'm getting ready to move. Selling out of everything prior to the move. Welder's gone, one generator is gone, MUCH more to go as I just started.
View Quote
haha, thanks for the offer!  You don't see bay boats or center consoles up here at all, so while that would be real cool to have, I don't think I'm in the market to drive a boat 20+ hours home.

....unless it's free...  
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Stay away from the 90's model Johnson/Evinrudes parts are hard to get. Everyone I talked to that's had Yamaha seems to like them. Honda's are expensive but don't seem to see them in the shop like you do the Mercury's. But then again Mercury's probably out sale them ten to one.
View Quote
Exactly what I've been thinking, thanks.

Sucks that the newer model Johnnyrudes aren't as desireable.  I loved that old motor....thing started and ran like a top once I got the grounds cleaned up.  It was a bit of a PITA before that though....but that's also the reason I got the entire Ranger boat for $1500.  Ended up selling it for $2300 several years later once I got it running without issue.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By vatopa:
I had a Yamaha 70 on my pontoon, it was never an issue.

Re-powered with a Mercury 115 which has also been great.

No experience with this, but was told by several people to avoid Suzuki.
View Quote
Appreciate the input, I've not heard any real strong opinions on Suzuki, and so far in this thread it's 1 for and one against.  I think I'll avoid them for now, luckily I rarely see any of them around here.

Seems to be Mercury, Yamaha, distant third is Johnson/Evinrude, then Honda....I can't remember the last time I saw a Suzuki on anything but a jon boat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:08:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PossumKing] [#9]
I have a 4-stroke Honda (8 hp ) that has been great.  With that said, the local boat motor mechanic told me that hondas are good but suck if they do break because parts are far more expensive than others.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#10]
As long as you have the Yamaha checked out before you buy it

they are GTG. I don't see too many Yamaha's in my shop, but the ones I see

only need regular maintenance and the occasional plugged up carbs from stale

ethanol fuel. Stale fuel is not the fault of the engine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#11]

haha, thanks for the offer!  You don't see bay boats or center consoles up here at all, so while that would be real cool to have, I don't think I'm in the market to drive a boat 20+ hours home.

....unless it's free...  
View Quote
I know I know.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
As long as you have the Yamaha checked out before you buy it

they are GTG. I don't see too many Yamaha's in my shop, but the ones I see

only need regular maintenance and the occasional plugged up carbs from stale

ethanol fuel. Stale fuel is not the fault of the engine.
View Quote
Good to hear.  Thanks!

How much do you think is 'fair' for checking out an outboard?  I can pressure check cylinders myself, I plan to test the boat in the water before buying it if at all possible.  Guessing they can hook up to a computer and see issues?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Love the 90 horse yamaha 4 stroke on our pontoon.  7 years old, zero issues.  I run ethanol as long as I know the boat isn't going to be sitting for weeks after fueling.  occasionally fill with non oxy.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Good to hear.  Thanks!

How much do you think is 'fair' for checking out an outboard?  I can pressure check cylinders myself, I plan to test the boat in the water before buying it if at all possible.  Guessing they can hook up to a computer and see issues?
View Quote
An hours labor is what we charge to "check out" an average outboard. During our inspection

we check compression, spark, drain a few drops of gear lube out looking for water or milky

lube, check prop shaft for straightness and give it a good look visually. We are looking for

leaks, bad/brittle wiring (older Mercs especially) signs of past overheating and if the throttle

linkage has been tinkered with. We will also "plug in" to it (if applicable) and read hours or stored codes.

Then we will run it on the hose or in a test tank if it's a small outboard.

Some outboards require more time if you have to remove components to check compression.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Look at the boats of fishing guides, you’ll see a lot of Suzuki motors. Freshwater and salt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top