Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2020 6:54:25 AM EDT
Thought I would throw this out to the group here to see if anyone has an answer.

So, my boss bought a large boat/yacht (saltwater).  Does anyone know if there are purchasing programs out there for discounted marine diesel fuel?  

In aviation, we have several options to choose from... companies like Colt/World fuel, UV Air, and more, where you buy a membership and then have volume discounts on fuel purchasing at airports around the nation.  Anyone know if there's something along those lines for boats?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 9:18:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve never heard of such a thing. The reality is - marinas make so much money on fuel (it’s the only real way the make money these days), they won’t support such a program. The only thing a marina has going for it is location, and they’re not going to give that up easily (or cheaply).

The best you can do is make a deal with a local fuel service. That means having a private dock or public dock that will allow it. In all my years of boating I’ve only taken fuel 2 or 3 times from a marina. The rest of the time I get a fuel truck to come to my house and pay around $2 to $2.50/G (when diesel was $3.50 to $4 at all the marinas). Every Marina I’ve seen has big sings up saying “no fuel trucks allowed.”  They’ll claim it’s because their insurance doesn’t allow it, but in reality they just don’t want to lose their money from fuel sales.

When in Fort Lauderdale your best bet is Peterson’s Fuel Service. They have fuel barges with ~40,000G of fuel and high speed pumps positioned around the water where they drop spuds and become a mobile fuel fill station. You call ahead and get an appointment, and I’ve always gotten fuel in the low $2’s there.

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BlackFox:
I've never heard of such a thing. The reality is - marinas make so much money on fuel (it's the only real way the make money these days), they won't support such a program. The only thing a marina has going for it is location, and they're not going to give that up easily (or cheaply).

The best you can do is make a deal with a local fuel service. That means having a private dock or public dock that will allow it. In all my years of boating I've only taken fuel 2 or 3 times from a marina. The rest of the time I get a fuel truck to come to my house and pay around $2 to $2.50/G (when diesel was $3.50 to $4 at all the marinas). Every Marina I've seen has big sings up saying "no fuel trucks allowed."  They'll claim it's because their insurance doesn't allow it, but in reality they just don't want to lose their money from fuel sales.

When in Fort Lauderdale your best bet is Peterson's Fuel Service. They have fuel barges with ~40,000G of fuel and high speed pumps positioned around the water where they drop spuds and become a mobile fuel fill station. You call ahead and get an appointment, and I've always gotten fuel in the low $2's there.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4267/Skyline_fueling-633921.jpg

View Quote
Awesome info, thank you!  I'm sure the boss will appreciate that.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By KingAirDriver:
Awesome info, thank you!  I'm sure the boss will appreciate that.  
View Quote

Drop me a PM with any questions. Glad to talk to the boss.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 8:14:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BlackFox:

Drop me a PM with any questions. Glad to talk to the boss.
View Quote
Thank you very much for the offer!  He knows much more about what he's doing than I do; when he asked about fuel programs (not even to me, it was to his office assistant) I thought I might be able to help find something as I know there are a lot of options like this for aircraft.  I'll reach out if he ever asks anything more pointed to me.  Thanks again.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top