Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2020 1:36:06 AM EDT
I'm looking at some Harvest Right freeze dryers. They have the option of an oil pump, a premier pump, or an oil-free pump.  Can someone clue me in on all this means?
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link

Comparing our Different Vacuum Pump OptionsFreeze drying does not happen unless there is a complete vacuum during the process. That is why all freeze dryers have to also have a vacuum pump. Harvest Right currently offers our standard oil pump along with two upgrade vacuum pump options. One of the most common question we are asked is "what's the differences between the pumps?"

The Standard Oil Pump is what comes with the purchase of a freeze dryer. This pump can last years but does require some maintenance. New hoses have improved the vacuum process, but oil in the pump still needs to be drained and filtered after every 4-5 batches. Filtering the oil only takes a few minutes. Basically, you open a valve, drain the oil into the top of the included oil filter, wait a few minutes for the oil to filter, and then pour the oil back into the pump. The standard pump also runs at a volume of about 64 decibels.

The first available pump upgrade is the Premier Oil Pump. The Premier Pump still uses oil but rarely needs to have the oil changed or filtered. The pump has a gas ballast feature that makes it so water does not stay in the oil. Because of this, the oil in the pump will be pristine and clear, even after 30 or more batches. You simply won't need to change the oil until you have run 20 or more batches. This pump is also lighter, more durable, and requires a little less power to run. It runs at 52 decibels.

The final pump upgrade is the Oil-Free Pump. Like all these pump options, the Oil-Free Pump can be used with any size freeze dryer. It is quiet, fast, and easy to use. These pumps do not require oil changes and do not require regular user maintenance. It is the most maintenance-free pump available. The Oil-Free Pump runs at 62 decibels.

When deciding which pump to purchase, the most important question to ask is how much maintenance are you willing to do. While filtering the oil is relatively simple, some people would rather not have to spend the time or effort it takes. The Premier Pump is a great idea for anyone that would like to have less maintenance or wants the quietest pump. The Oil-Free Pump is perfect for the person that wants almost zero maintenance.

You can learn more about our different pump options by visiting our online store.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Buddy has one, he uses milking pump oil, a lot cheaper than the specified oil. I haven’t had a chance to play with one yet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]
We opted for Oil Free. I'm glad we did. That filtering and changing oil looks like a huge headache.

If you're on FB there are several Freeze Drying Groups that are a wealth of knowledge.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We opted for Oil Free. I'm glad we did. That filtering and changing oil looks like a huge headache.

If you're on FB there are several Freeze Drying Groups that are a wealth of knowledge.
View Quote

I appreciate the idea, but being a Christian and conservative, there is no way I'd be on Fakebook.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buddy has one, he uses milking pump oil, a lot cheaper than the specified oil. I haven’t had a chance to play with one yet.
View Quote

That's what I use in mine. It's fairly inexpensive at the local farm supply store. I would love the oil-less pump, but it costs about half what the freeze dryer did. The premiere pump wasn't available when I got my freeze dryer.

Tried the flush filter kit but it was a PITA and was the source of a lot of vacuum leaks. Could have been operator/installer error, but my life is simpler without it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#6]
HR doesnt recommend using dairyland oil with the PREMIUM pump. Premium pump needs much less maintenance oil filtering and changes compared to regular pump. Premium pump is considerably more quiet than the regular pump and the oilless pump.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm looking at some Harvest Right freeze dryers. They have the option of an oil pump, a premier pump, or an oil-free pump.  Can someone clue me in on all this means?
View Quote

Get the oil-less one. Promise.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#8]
All of hr's pumps are made in chy-na. I went for the American made pump.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a Harvest Right pharmaceutical. They gave me the oil pump when I bought it free, as the oil free I paid for wasn't shipping yet.
The oil free is the way. No hassles or messes at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top