Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2018 8:25:35 PM EDT
So today i inherited a fly rod from the fiancée's family. They think it was their grandfathers and no one in the family was interested in it and they were going to throw it until i expressed interest in it.
the base of the rod is marked "Wright & McGill" on one side and "Granger Aristocrat" on the other.
Its about 9' long, looks like its made from bamboo and has 2 sets of tips with it.

It looks like its in pretty good shape all in all and is a lot more springy than my TFO 5/6wt rod.
I'm very much a novice at this as I only got my TFO a few months back and have only used it a couple times (no fish on it yet).
If anyone has any knowledge about this rod like the age of it, what weight it is ect.. it would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I am not familiar with that specific rod but I can tell you bamboo can be addicting. Depending on the rod it can be a fantastic, albeit slow, experience. Yours has a family history so go catch something with it!
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#2]
No idea, might try a fly fishing forum instead of a gun forum.   Looks like a nice rod though!
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No idea, might try a fly fishing forum instead of a gun forum.   Looks like a nice rod though!
View Quote
I probably will try a dedicated fly fishing fourm, figured I'd try it here first since apparently Arfcom has a fly fishing subfourm.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am not familiar with that specific rod but I can tell you bamboo can be addicting. Depending on the rod it can be a fantastic, albeit slow, experience. Yours has a family history so go catch something with it!
View Quote
I plan to take it out fishing eventually, I'm still not the best caster with my TFO rod and I have hit nearby tree branches with the rod tip before. I figure if im going to break a rod through stupidity I'd rather break the one that can be replaced
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Possibly this
Wright & McGill Granger Aristocrat Model 7030 Bamboo Rod

https://www.vintageflytackle.com/products/wright-mcgill-granger-aristocrat-model-7030-bamboo-rod-1
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Old 'boo rods are pretty cool.  Do a google search on the Wright and McGill Granger Aristocrat.  There is a lot of information on them.   They can be worth several hundred dollars if they are in good condition and haven't been messed with.

I'm not real familiar with the intricacies of bamboo rods but two tips were a common thing.  I'm not sure if one is a spare as they are easy to break or what.  I've had folks tell me one tip might be a dry fly tip and the other a wet fly tip, I've heard spare,  and I've heard after a day of fishing its best to rest a tip and let it recover, so use the other tip the next day.

There are several dedicated forums out there.

I have my granfathers South Bend 3 piece 9' rod.  I keep thinking about using it, but haven't in years.

Should be a number on it or on the tube label, 7030, 8040, 9053.  First 2 numbers are length, second 2 numbers are weight.  From what I read the 9' rod is probably a 6wt, the 8 foot rod is a 4 weight.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending on condition, that is a fine rod and you will easily find someone to take it off your hands if you decide to sell it.

Good place to start  http://www.ricksrods.com/

another good one   http://www.coldwatercollectibles.com/

I had  light case of boo fever, then found ARs :-)
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Old 'boo rods are pretty cool.  Do a google search on the Wright and McGill Granger Aristocrat.  There is a lot of information on them.   They can be worth several hundred dollars if they are in good condition and haven't been messed with.

I'm not real familiar with the intricacies of bamboo rods but two tips were a common thing.  I'm not sure if one is a spare as they are easy to break or what.  I've had folks tell me one tip might be a dry fly tip and the other a wet fly tip, I've heard spare,  and I've heard after a day of fishing its best to rest a tip and let it recover, so use the other tip the next day.

There are several dedicated forums out there.

I have my granfathers South Bend 3 piece 9' rod.  I keep thinking about using it, but haven't in years.

Should be a number on it or on the tube label, 7030, 8040, 9053.  First 2 numbers are length, second 2 numbers are weight.  From what I read the 9' rod is probably a 6wt, the 8 foot rod is a 4 weight.
View Quote
Unfortunately the label on the tube is long gone, it is a 9' rod though so that should help to narrow it down.
Any idea where on the rod the model number would be?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Depending on condition, that is a fine rod and you will easily find someone to take it off your hands if you decide to sell it.

Good place to start  http://www.ricksrods.com/

another good one   http://www.coldwatercollectibles.com/

I had  light case of boo fever, then found ARs :-)
View Quote
I'm planning on keeping it and now I have the itch to get a vintage reel to go with it
Those two links you posted may cost me a bit of money, thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Unfortunately the label on the tube is long gone, it is a 9' rod though so that should help to narrow it down.
Any idea where on the rod the model number would be?
View Quote
from the looking around I did - its just on the tube.   If I read it correctly the 9' rod model number is 90 for rod weight and the the weight in ounces.  So a 9054 would be 9' 5.4oz rod.

I noticed on one forum someone said a 9054 throws a 6wt line nicely.  I presume if your rod is heavier it would do for heavier line, lighter and it would like a lighter line.

My grandfathers old Southbend is 5.33 oz and IIRC likes a 6 wt line.   The weight system presently used for fly lines didn't come about until 1961, well after your rod was made.

Old vs. new line weights.

I still have an old reel loaded with silk line for grampas fly rod.  Unfortunately its an old Automatic reel that weighs a ton.   Horrocks and Ibbotson reel manufactured by Yawman & Erbe pat. date 1891.  I used it when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:05:41 PM EDT
[#11]
John57 the bigger cane rods need the heavy reels to balance them out. I have always ignored people talking about balancing graphite rods. But put a light weight reel on a grass rod and you will notice it right away.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Good point.  It's probably not so much the weight as it is the automatic action.  I haven't used it for probably 40 years, but as I recall the automatic wind wasn't easy to use.  If I were going to use the rod I'd go find a nice older battenkill or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top