Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2018 1:06:40 PM EDT
I have a new 4wt fly rod and reel and am trying to figure out what line to go with.  The rod is a Douglas DHF 7ft 6" 4wt.

So far I have considered a Wulff Triangle Taper and the Rio Trout LT, with dry fly being my primary interest for this rod/reel.  I love to cast a caddis fly under an overhanging branch so most of my fishing is from close range (25 feet or so).  I roll cast perhaps 25 percent of the time depending on how tight the river/stream is.

I have other rods for other tasks, but lately dry fly has been what I do most.

My casting ability is a bell curve of mediocrity, with an occasional outlying cast of perfection balanced by a horrid snaggled shitshow on the other.  I like medium or medium fast rods and have in the past overloaded a medium fast rod by a full line weight to smooth out my twitchy input.

I am not brand-centric and have had lines from most of the major manufacturers, so if you have a line you love please share!
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I just put a WF Rio Gold on my 4 wt, but have yet to get out with it.   I also looked at a Rio Grand WF4 but went with the Gold.  For short casting the Grand might be better suited as I believe it runs heavy, almost a full weight above stated weight.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just put a WF Rio Gold on my 4 wt, but have yet to get out with it.   I also looked at a Rio Grand WF4 but went with the Gold.  For short casting the Grand might be better suited as I believe it runs heavy, almost a full weight above stated weight.
View Quote
My son has a reel with Rio Gold on it so I should try that out.  I had forgotten about that.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Be aware that Rio Trout LT varies considerably in weight between WF and DT. The WF version is about a line size heavier whereas the DT is true to weight.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Be aware that Rio Trout LT varies considerably in weight between WF and DT. The WF version is about a line size heavier whereas the DT is true to weight.
View Quote
Ah, thanks.  The number of fly lines and variations is confusing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ah, thanks.  The number of fly lines and variations is confusing.
View Quote
Yes it is, very confusing.

If your rod is a current production model, Rio has a line selector on their web site that might help.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes it is, very confusing.

If your rod is a current production model, Rio has a line selector on their web site that might help.
View Quote
I used their line selector and the two that seem to fit the best are the Rio Trout LT WF and the Rio In Touch Trout LT WF.

I wish they would name their fly lines with a bit more creativity to help the customer differentiate.  Avid Trout, Mainstream Trout, Trout LT, In Touch Trout LT, Rio Gold, Rio Grand, In Touch Rio Gold, In Touch Rio Grand...

Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
#4.. I did not know they made fly rigs that light. I thought 6 was the lightest.
Florida..I have a #9
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Rio gold are great lines.  Fishing dries that short a distance a wf 4 wt line should be fine.
If you were nymphing or fishing giant bushy dries a wf 5 wt would probably be better.
I'd probably stay away from the triangle taper for dries, short powerful head is great for shooting line on long cast, but sucks for mending on moderate length dry fly/indicator cast
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rio gold are great lines.  Fishing dries that short a distance a wf 4 wt line should be fine.
If you were nymphing or fishing giant bushy dries a wf 5 wt would probably be better.
I'd probably stay away from the triangle taper for dries, short powerful head is great for shooting line on long cast, but sucks for mending on moderate length dry fly/indicator cast
View Quote
Cool.  I rarely shoot line very far as most of the streams I fish are only 30 feet wide at most.  For some reason I get a special thrill out of chasing tiny brook trout in the small streams in the White Mountains of NH.  I don't know why but the coloration of the small brookies in those streams is particularly vivid.

I will be going out to Idaho this summer for a different kind of fly fishing, but I will still bring along a 4wt for yuks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
#4.. I did not know they made fly rigs that light. I thought 6 was the lightest.
Florida..I have a #9
View Quote
Orvis and maybe Sage came out with 1 wt rods maybe twenty years ago.  I think that is too light, and will leas to excessive mortality in trout if doing catch and release.  If you want to feel the fight, then target big fish, don't wear out a 8-9" fish.

I have a couple 3 wts.  They are OK for small streams and were the fish are mostly smaller stocked ones.  Otherwise its 5 and 6 wts for most of my fishing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Florida..I have a #9
View Quote
wow my 2wt fiberglass would confuse the shit out of u, lol, I think Hardy does (or used to) make a 0wt for real small flies and streams and I think Sage still makes the "little one" 0wt.

J-
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#12]
OP take a look at 406 Fly lines. Small company but they are my go to for my dry fly rods.

406 lines

For other lines I like the SA GPX and the their trout lines too.

I run SA lines for about 95% of my single hand rods and have never had good luck Rio lines, just never seem to hold up for me and the kind of fishing I do.

If you can get into a shop they will let you try a few lines on your rod first that is ulimately the best way as you may not need/want a 4wt line on your rod. A 5wt or 3wt may be better based on your rod and casting stroke just no way to tell until you cast them.I have several rods that have either a line wt heavier or lighter on them to cast the best.

J-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top