Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2017 2:38:39 PM EDT
I need some help from the hive.  I used to be an active Fly Fisherman but have been away from the game for about 30 yrs now.  I'm trying to get back into it, but have forgotten almost everything I once knew about it.  My rod & reel are still in great shape but the 30 yr old line needs replacing.  My problem is that I don't know what type/weight backing, floating line, or tippet I need for bluegill fishing.  I am totally lost.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely a weight forward line to match your rod weight. I am using mostly Rio and Airflow lines now. The Rio Grand is one that I am using for bigger flies. Most people are using Cortland Dacron backing, 20lb will be fine for your needs.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I need some help from the hive.  I used to be an active Fly Fisherman but have been away from the game for about 30 yrs now.  I'm trying to get back into it, but have forgotten almost everything I once knew about it.  My rod & reel are still in great shape but the 30 yr old line needs replacing.  My problem is that I don't know what type/weight backing, floating line, or tippet I need for bluegill fishing.  I am totally lost.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
View Quote

You will find after being out for 30 years, like I did, that line choices now are absolutely phenomenal and mind boggling at the least.

Not all lines are created equal, and not all lines will work with all rods. Depending on your rods action, this will dictate which line will cast best with your rod.

You may want to visit your local fly shop and get some informed input there.

What rod do you have? What weight?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input guys.  I've decided to put together a whole new rig in 5 weight, weight forward floating line.  I've read online where 5 weight is a good 'all around' weight for bluegill & smallish bass ( which is what I'll be using it for ).  Man, this shit has advanced in the last 30 yrs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top