Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2018 5:17:19 PM EDT
Has anyone ever tried flex seal to seal outdoor connections?

In the past I've used self amalgamating silicone tape but I've discovered some splitting recently and need to re-do a few.

I was thinking flex seal might be a good alternative... buy a can of the stuff, dip/brush on the connections.  Has anyone used this product for this (or other purposes) that might be able to shed some light on its suitability for this purpose?

A quick google search revealed no answers, other than a thread on QRZ that quickly went off into the weeds, failing to answer the question (shocker)
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I just saw some of this stuff at mallwart. Take a coax jumper and a barrel connector, put it all together in a loop, seal the connections and hang the thing outdoors on your deck etc. and see if any water gets into the coax.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
A liberal coating of dielectric grease might be too easy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A liberal coating of dielectric grease might be too easy.
View Quote
Good for secondary protection or if the connection is inside an enclosure, but I wouldn't trust it alone long term on exposed connections.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used Flex Seal for a variety of stuff, and find it goes on too thin and peels off to easily for this type of application. It works awesome if you're applying it to a rough or porous substrate  (cloth, screen doors!), but on hard metal or plastic it's mediocre at best.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.cheapham.com/coax-seal-out-of-stock/

This is what I've used. People tell me Home depot type places have some roof seal stuff in a roll.
My installs never seem to stay up long enough to recommend for long term sealing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd avoid flexseal.  My company hired an ex-roofer who swore by the stuff, it caused nothing but problems.  I'd try a self sealing membrane product like Grace Vycor, or a flashing tape like protecto wrap.  Vycor is a construction supply house staple.  Protecto wrap is at homedepot, of the two really try and find Vycor.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#7]
This works great and can be removed. I have had it exposed for several years without problems...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSXAH06/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I would not use it. It will not stick to shiny or polished surfaces. A tiny crack is all it needs to let water in.
So far the best stuff I found is a Coax Seal from HRO. It seals very well and stays flexible. I have several coax connections sealed with it 10 years ago and it still looks fine, no cracks, no water penetration. You can wrap the connector with teflon seal tape prior to applying Cox Seal for easy removal in the future. I never did.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had pretty good luck with Plasti-Dip.

For anything from Field Day up to a year or so I usually just do the silicone tape wrap, I've had good luck with it. Other stuff I've done with Scotch 33 and then plasti-dip coated, or just do the plasti-dip alone as it can be removed if needed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Coax Seal. Nothing I've used it on has ever leaked. If you wrap your connections with a good quality electrical tape first, make sure the coax seal extends beyond the end of the tape, it isn't messy to get off. I've also used the Scotch silicone tape which seems to work well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Dielectric grease and some of those barrel boots and your fine. You are overthinking this OP.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I've always wrapped connections with 3M electrical tape, then a layer of Coax Seal over the top of that.  I've never had a problem with water getting in.

I once took apart a connection that had been sealed like this for 10 years, and exposed to dirt, mud and the weather.  It looked as good as the day I had sealed it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I read about using 3M electrical tape (33+) & butyl masking tape.
- Apply 3M around the connection, overlapping 1" on each side.
- Apply the butyl masking tape, overlapping again 1" on each side, then press on the tape to mold it around the connection.
- Then wrap again with 3M, overlapping by 1" on each side.

I found 3M 2228 Scotch Moisture Sealing Electrical Tape
Perhaps you can save time and just apply one layer of the above.
I'd call 3M and ask. They'll either confirm the above or suggest a different product for your application.
Their customer service is excellent.
I never trust those infomercials. Especially when they supposedly cut boats in half and seal it with their flexiseal, and say that it's waterproof as they skoot across the water
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Times Microwave Professional Weatherproof Self-Bonding Silicone Sealing Tape for Coax Connectors / Antennas

This is what you seek.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I read about using 3M electrical tape (33+) & butyl masking tape.
- Apply 3M around the connection, overlapping 1" on each side.
- Apply the butyl masking tape, overlapping again 1" on each side, then press on the tape to mold it around the connection.
- Then wrap again with 3M, overlapping by 1" on each side.
View Quote
I do cell site installs professionally (sometimes) and this is basically what we do/use, with a few minor changes.  We use Super88, not 33+, wrap the first wrap just across the turning parts of the connector, and do it sticky side out.  You described our butyl step perfectly.  Final wrap is actually three, half-lapped, layers of Super88.  Sometimes suppliers give us 2" Super88 for installs.  That's a nice luxury.  Usually it's 1".  Now imagine how long the weatherproofing might be on 1-5/8" coax.  That's a lot of laps

edit: I should mention that we don't actually do a lot of tape & butyl weatherproofing these days thanks to another wonderful 3M product called a Slim Lock.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the input.  Looks like a few other people have had success with the silicone tape, so I'll just try that again.  The connection that I discovered had split was probably 3-5 years old.  It was well shaded so I doubt that it was UV... maybe a squirrel chewed on it.

Quoted:
I've had pretty good luck with Plasti-Dip.

For anything from Field Day up to a year or so I usually just do the silicone tape wrap, I've had good luck with it. Other stuff I've done with Scotch 33 and then plasti-dip coated, or just do the plasti-dip alone as it can be removed if needed.
View Quote
Hmm.  I like the plasti-dip as a secondary coating for UV and additional abrasion connection. Good call.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#17]
The key with the silicone tape is that you have to S-T-R-E-T-C-H it... you can feel when you're reaching the elastic limit, pull it all the way out to that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I have no experience with the flex seal stuff.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I've been using this to wrap my coax connections for past several years with no ill effects:

Temflex Rubber Splicing Tape

I use a layer of the Temflex stretched well followed by some good quality vinyl tape. Never had a leak & the rubber wrap doesn't gunk up the connectors if you need to take them apart later.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 12:00:27 AM EDT
[#19]
33 electrical tape followed by unvulcanized rubber tape, followed be more 33

Never had one fail even under water
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top