Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2018 9:28:37 PM EDT
I'm setting up fldigi and I'm having difficulty. Radio is an icom 718. The power is set to 25w and mic gain is set to 0. I used the tutorial from k4ref to set the software settings up. Problem is I seem to have a wide dirty signal and I can't figure out why. Also the diamond to the left of the AFC is black. However when I transmit or use the tune button in fldigi it will turn green. It goes back to black when transmitting is done.
 I have a feeling it's something simple but Ive been messing with this for awhile and I'm getting frustrated. Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi Chief,
When transmitting, what is shown on the ALC on the radio? Generally, I have a Kenwood TS-480HX running at 100 Watts set in the menu, I leave the power at 100 watts and drive the audio up until the ALC shows some indication and then back it off until no ALC shows. This leaves me with about 40-45 watts out put. On a 100 watt radio I wouldn't run more that 30-35 watts for continuous digital modes. Set the power out in the menu to 100 watts and adjust the audio for some output with no ALC showing by running the audio level up until the ALC shows and backing it down until it does not show. This helps keep the transmitter linear and the distortion low as possible. If the power out is still greater than 1/3 to 1/2 of the 100 watts maximum then back down the audio some more. hth
Rob
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, at this point I'm not sure the radio is even transmitting. There is a signal on the waterfall and the red PTT light comes on the signalink but the transmit icon on the front of the radio doesn't come on. Also when adjusting the volume level the power/ALC meter shows nothing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you using an interface, Signalink or the like?
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Signalink and cat cable for rig control.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
The red light on the Signalink indicates the computer is getting audio to the interface. There are a couple of possibilities here because I am not familiar with your rig. The Signalink is indicating TX (red LED), if the rig isn't going into TX, the internal jumpers on the Signalink  may not be setup correctly, or/ both, Is there a data, LSB D or USB D in your rigs menu? One of those may be needed to actuate the jack that the Signalink connects to for transmit. One other question, are you receiving any text from other stations?  
Rob
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the same signalink I used to run digipan on this radio a few yrs ago so the jumpers are right. I am recieving fine. I really do have a feeling that one small setting is not right. Going to have to put this on hold until I'm done with my week of midnight's. Lol Thanks for Ur time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#7]
No problem, pop the thread back to the top when you are ready. 73, Rob
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok,  the radio is definitely not going into transmit mode. Any ideas what could.be wrong? Radio is an Icom718 with h signalink usb.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Can you open up the Signalink and use an ohm meter to see that the key line is being grounded when the red led comes on? Check it on the jumpers in the Signaling, or check the Signalink on another radio. There may be a "data mode" setting on the radio that needs to be engaged for it to key. That's all I have at the moment.
Rob
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the help Rob. I went thru all the settings again today and the radio still won't go into transmit. I even tried another signalink and it would go into transmit mode but the radio would not transmit. Then I removed the fldigi software from the laptop and reinstalled it. Still doesn't work. There r no data settings on the radio according to the manual. I've spent way to many hrs on this and frankly about ready to quit. Venting done. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Wonder if it's possible the cable from the signalink to the radio is bad?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Hi Chief, Don't give up, we just have to find out where the key line signal is disappearing. Open the Signalink and check the wires as they cross the socket in the back. Somewhere there should be a diagram of which line is the key line. There are two things to be done,

Check the line in the Signalink for some DC voltage to ground, probably 5-12 volts DC. I am guessing a bit, but this will come from the radio's keying circuit.  If it is there, key the transmit from the computer, the voltage should go low, almost zero. Tell the computer to go to receive and it should come back up. If no voltage is found or it doesn't change, unplug the cable from the radio. The voltage, if it was there should go away. (it comes from the rig.)

Now, set your Ohm meter to 200 ohms or so, a low ohms scale, and while reading the key line to ground, high ohms reading, tell the computer to key the radio. The ohms  reading should go low, this is what keys the transmitter.

If the red LED on the Signalink comes and goes according to the commands from the computer it is functioning fine. The problem is the key circuit in the Signalink, the cable, the key circuit in the radio, or a software menu setting in the radio. Most likely, it is the cable or the Signalink itself. hth
Let us know what you find.
Rob

ETA:  paragraphs
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I am electronically illiterate and most of what u said went over my head. Lol. But u gave me an idea. I have another signalink configured for a Kenwood radio. I took the Kenwood signalink and reconfigured the jumpers for an icom. Same results, radio will not go to transmit. So that seems to rule out a signalink issue entirely.
 There r no digital settings in the 718 except setting the baud rate. So I would say that leaves the cable as the sole remaining suspect. Would u agree?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 2:42:40 PM EDT
[#14]
This is what I am seeing on tune.    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ylnWr74K2ejr3M3c2
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Also, in desperation I uninstalled the fldigi software and downloaded a new one. Same results.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Hi Chief, no problem. In your case, I'd go with trying a new Signalink cable for the Icom. If you know a local ham with some experience, locally, that would be the way to go in ringing out the cables and the keying circuit; though, a replacement cable would be low in cost. At this point I am convinced it is a hardware problem. I can't pinpoint the place with out more info. If the red light on box is coming on, the software and computer are doing their thing. No need to reinstall the software again. The baud rate for the Icom is a part of the computer - rig - control and has no part in the use of the Signalink. That is simply a key circuit and audio for receive and transmit of digital audio.
Rob
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry I am little late to this thread...I run a signalink through an IC 718 and also have fldigi, so if it helps, I'd be happy to talk by phone and do a 1x1 check through of the settings and connections. If the propagation does its thing we could probably work 40m to test between your AO and mine.

Let me know - I'd be happy to run through my configuration with you.

FWIW, I had my signalink set up for WJST-X...at some point later I added the fldigi software as I wanted to work PSK.
I changed nothing on the hardware end at all....just a couple of configs in the fldigi software to make it work.
So...if your interface worked before with that same rig, I suspect it still does and this might just be a quick tweak (I hope)

Let me know
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:57:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys, I will try the new icom cable first and see if that works. If it doesnt, Macro I will take you up on your offer. Whereabouts in PA are you?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys, I will try the new icom cable first and see if that works. If it doesnt, Macro I will take you up on your offer. Whereabouts in PA are you?
View Quote
I'm in Bucks County...out near the NJ border. I'm around today until about 16:00 ET.
Also around tomorrow and Monday.

Let me know
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the offer. I will wait and try the new cable first, it's been ordered. See what that does. Take care.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Let us know...my offer stands. Sounds like your issue is between the signalink and the rig....I was thinking it might be a fldigi issue but it sounds like that software does light up your signalink....just not getting TX out of the radio.

I have a number of thoughts for troubleshooting this...but I'll wait to see how the cable works out for you.
I will ask this...(in case I missed it)...have you had this signalink work with your rig before?
Also, a simple one....if you key up your mic, does that light up the TX on your 718? (if not, I'll bet $5 you have TX disabled on the admin menu)
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, I had used this laptop, radio and signalink to run digipan a few years ago. I havent tried voice since this fldigi journey but I will. Didn't know it was possible to turn the tx off. Do u have Ur mic compression set to 0 to keep from picking up audio during digital modes?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes, I had used this laptop, radio and signalink to run digipan a few years ago. I havent tried voice since this fldigi journey but I will. Didn't know it was possible to turn the tx off. Do u have Ur mic compression set to 0 to keep from picking up audio during digital modes?
View Quote
With the IC-718 turned off, hold in the "Set" key, and while keeping it held in turn the power on for the unit. This brings you to the setting menu. You can scroll through the settings using the "Page DN" and "Page UP" keys. On the "MoDE" setting you can select your TX mode using the VFO knob. If "TX" is lit, you are good to go, just turn off the radio and turn it back on again...nothing else to do. If its not lit, just dial the VFO until it is, and again turn off and back on again. That simple.

As far as mic compression, I've never thought about it. In theory there shouldnt be phone traffic on the frequencies you are using for digital. You can look up the ARRL customary band plan for the mode you are running and find the popular frequencies.

The only mic settings I mess around with are the sound card settings on the PC. You can adjust the mic gain to dial in the receiving sensitivity...I use very little gain at all...and manage the input signal either with the Signalink RX knob, or with whatever software I am using (fldigi, WSJT-X, etc)

Not sure if you plan to run any FT8, if so, download WSJT-X and also get JTAlert...there is a ton of traffic on all the band, 24/7, so for testing purposes you can very quickly get your sound card settings tweaked. For me they have been "set it and forget it"....I never touch my audio settings, and rarely ever adjust the TX or RX knobs on the signalink. Unless my ALC meter is at 0 or at max I generally leave things alone.

Are you able to receive and copy signals with the current setup?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I can receive just fine. I checked the transmit function and it was on. New cable should be here shortly so I will let u know how that turns out. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Hi Chief, I hope the new cable does the trick. 73, Rob
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Well guys it appears that I am a borderline idiot. Lol. It is possible to install the signalink cable into the radios accessory port upside down and it will still fit. I just happened to find that little nugget on signalink website. Of course it will not work properly. Switched the cable around the right way and presto the radio will transmit.

Now I still have the issue pictured below on tune or transmit. So far I have not figured that out.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/t2uYuNwXEIzdfxzQ2
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Glad you got it fixed, I did say it was a hardware problem. 73, Rob
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Rob you were correct about the hardware issue. Any ideas on the WIDE signal taking up the entire waterfall when I tune? See pic above. And thanks to both of you.??
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Rob you were correct about the hardware issue. Any ideas on the WIDE signal taking up the entire waterfall when I tune? See pic above. And thanks to both of you.??
View Quote
Are you sure its actually a wide signal, or is it possibly just the scale setting on your waterfall display?
Is it only when you tune? What happens when you transmit a typical signal?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 5:59:24 AM EDT
[#30]
That looks normal to me as well, unless I am missing something. With the transmit working now is the time to set the TX audio level. Set the rig up to see the AGC meter in transmit. Set the power out menu to 100 watts and adjust the audio level on the Signalink box so that there is no AGC showing when in transmit. (Turn it up a bit and back down to where the AGC bar graph just disappears.) If the resulting power out is more than 30 watts, reduce the audio some more. Running below the AGC threshold  level should get you a clean signal. The reduced power is because the digital modes are 100% duty cycle.
Keep us posted.
Rob
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:54:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks, I will. I'm gone for a week so can't mess with it until I get back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top