Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2021 8:18:05 AM EDT
Anyone here had both?  I sold my old 5' rotary cutter as prices here are very high for used equipment, and it just wasn't wide enough after I widened my rear track width.  (now right at 6')

I don't need the ability to take out brush or small trees, just maintaining woods trails and creating pasture, keeping fence rows clear, etc.  I'm looking at an off set flail mower like the Deere 25A, I'd be cutting 6-9" outside of the right rear tire.  

Flail mowers aren't too common around here, they seem to be more so down south/TX way.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Flail mowers around our parts are used a lot for light brush clearing, corn stock shredding, things like that.

They’re significantly more maintenance prone than a rotary cutter. More moving parts, teeth that have to be replaced, etc. However they also leave a much better over all finish. Plus the material it did shred, breaks down faster / doesn’t have the big clumps.

ODOT used to use flail mowers all the time for cutting the side of the roads. Once the started subbing it out, it went to rotary cutter.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in MI, and had the same needs as you.

I went with a flail and have no complaints. I've only had it one season and I'm now on the wait-list for a larger one.

I went with a 48" heavy duty model from Betstco. It's a beast, but not as refined as other pricier models. My takeaway from it is that they keep costs low by using interchangeable parts as the gearbox is probably oversized for my model, and the shoes are bolt on rather than having threaded holes for the adjustment positions among other things. All are minor gripes.

I went with 48" as their larger ones that were available were out of my HP range. Since then I found the WoodMaxx one that is within my HP rating and 62" wide. Once one is in stock I'll order it and sell the one I have to a buddy of mine. Once he saw mine in action he wanted one.

As others above said it leaves a much finer cut material than a rotary. I find it handy as it's not sticking 6' out the back.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I think a flail mower will work better for me, but I'll probably end up with both down the road.  

Been hitting some auctions and equipment is just selling for big money lately, even very well used older stuff.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Been an equipment dealer all my life.  Always heard of flails, but had zero experience.  Got to watching some vids on them last year.  I have a woods that I wanted to clear the underbrush out of.  I bought the cheapest little 48" flail I could find and put hammer blades on it.  

It's a poor man's skid steer mulcher.  It obliterated all those little finger sized trees and brush.  I was able to set it up so that it cut it all off right at the ground leaving no stobs sticking up to puncture tires.  It's like finish mowing with a bush hog and/or bush hogging with a finish mower.  You'd have to use one to make sense of that probably.  I can mow grass where I fear there are things I wouldn't want to hit with my mower and I can mow brush without leaving stobs.  I would not want one just to mow a field of grass with.  Would prefer a bush hog for that.

I really like it and would definitely purchase again.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been an equipment dealer all my life.  Always heard of flails, but had zero experience.  Got to watching some vids on them last year.  I have a woods that I wanted to clear the underbrush out of.  I bought the cheapest little 48" flail I could find and put hammer blades on it.  

It's a poor man's skid steer mulcher.  It obliterated all those little finger sized trees and brush.  I was able to set it up so that it cut it all off right at the ground leaving no stobs sticking up to puncture tires.  It's like finish mowing with a bush hog and/or bush hogging with a finish mower.  You'd have to use one to make sense of that probably.  I can mow grass where I fear there are things I wouldn't want to hit with my mower and I can mow brush without leaving stobs.  I would not want one just to mow a field of grass with.  Would prefer a bush hog for that.

I really like it and would definitely purchase again.
View Quote

That's pretty much what I was dealing with my rotary cutter, overkill for what I wanted to cut, but then I'd hit a rock or stump.  Looking at getting a John Deere 25A.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I kinda want a flail mower. But if I did, I’d get it excavator mounted.

But I really don’t need one. I have a skid loader mulcher and a medium duty brush hog and a super heavy duty brush hog.   And my 5 ton excavator I would put it on doesn’t have an enclosed cab.

Someday I’ll get froggy enough… or if I buy this Kubota excavator at this farm auction next weekend. Because it’s cheap lol. (I doubt it Will go cheap. )
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:16:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But I really don’t need one. I have a skid loader mulcher and a medium duty brush hog and a super heavy duty brush hog.   And my 5 ton excavator I would put it on doesn’t have an enclosed cab.

Someday I’ll get froggy enough… or if I buy this Kubota excavator at this farm auction next weekend. Because it’s cheap lol. (I doubt it Will go cheap. )
View Quote

I've hit over a dozen farm auctions this year, I haven't seen much that went cheap.  (generally smaller scale stuff, not 500k combines and the like)  That is my unscientific barometer of when the economy is about to tank, when stuff stops getting bid to the moon at auctions, and all the old boys just stand there sucking on their teeth.  

Nice having big equipment, but that is all beyond the scope of what I need to do.  Got a good friend with the biggest tracked skid steer Cat makes and most of the attachments and a huge Vermeer chipper for larger projects.  Fun watching that thing eat 50' of Maple tree.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've hit over a dozen farm auctions this year, I haven't seen much that went cheap.  (generally smaller scale stuff, not 500k combines and the like)  That is my unscientific barometer of when the economy is about to tank, when stuff stops getting bid to the moon at auctions, and all the old boys just stand there sucking on their teeth.  

Nice having big equipment, but that is all beyond the scope of what I need to do.  Got a good friend with the biggest tracked skid steer Cat makes and most of the attachments and a huge Vermeer chipper for larger projects.  Fun watching that thing eat 50' of Maple tree.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used iron is flat stupid right now. Trying to find a used single fold wrong rotary and they're unobtainium or priced 75% of new. I'd buy new but those are all 12 months lead seems like. Hopefully next year I can do some post bubble buying cheap.

I'd like to try a flail, they are what most of the dot runs here except the interstate median those get done with big batwing rotaries. Seems like they give a nicer finish at the expense of maintenance and less acers per hour. I have heard the flails are less apt to chuck things but can't comfirm.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  I think a flail mower will work better for me, but I'll probably end up with both down the road.  

Been hitting some auctions and equipment is just selling for big money lately, even very well used older stuff.
View Quote

I mow an orchard with a 6’ bush hog and a 60hp tractor. Just too slow.  I went through the same thought process. Talked to a commercial guy and he suggested I get a big zero turn. I’ve got the biggest one Gravely makes on order. Some “experts” said it would cut my time in half. Still got the bushhog for rough stuff and to make the first cut of the year.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Seems appropriate for this thread:

MOWER COMPETITION - Flail VS. Rotary Cutter VS. Zero Turn

Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I mow an orchard with a 6’ bush hog and a 60hp tractor. Just too slow.  I went through the same thought process. Talked to a commercial guy and he suggested I get a big zero turn. I’ve got the biggest one Gravely makes on order. Some “experts” said it would cut my time in half. Still got the bushhog for rough stuff and to make the first cut of the year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Under about 2 acres my 60 ztr beats the 7 foot rotary and cuts much nicer. The big machine is a shuttle shift so stopping and turning eats time. A hydro machine would be a fairer comparison. Biggest perk on the z is start it and cut vs the fact the mower is never on the deere when I need it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top