Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2018 10:57:11 PM EDT
Have a boat for fishing but it's now too small to take out my wife and kids (teen and almost teen). Thinking about getting a fishing toon like Sun Tracker fishing barge with the fishing package (troller and fishfinder). Have Cabelas and Bass Pro both about the same distance away from here. Thoughts? Will tow with my wife's Pathfinder.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Very interested in the responses to this as well.  Looking at the Ranger tin boats or a fishing pontoon myself and running into the same problem with wife/kids wanting to come along
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't seen any Cabelas branded boats but I'd bet

they were made by Tracker since Bass Pro bought Cabelas.

The Trackers seem to be fairly well built as far as the pontoons and framework is concerned.

They do cheap out on all the deck hardware and seating compared to a Bennington or other

high end pontoon but they are just fine for a "fishin' rig".

What engines are you looking at?
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The Bass Pro/Cabelas boats are soldd with the largest motor recommended. So the 20' Fishin Barge I'm looking at will come with a 90hp Merc.. I'm looking at fishing package version that comes with Motor Guide troller and Lowrance Hook 5 (?) for an extra $1300.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 1:25:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Finally bit the bullet. Bought the 20 with the 90H Merc. Haven't picked it up yet as the boat I wanted was not on the lot (they sold a bunch since May I guess). I'm not going with the fishing package, Bass Pro guys didn't recommend the gear that would've been included. I'll get more gear for less when I sell my old 14' johnboat and Yammy 15H, I'll install it all myself.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Sun Tracker (and all Tracker products) is a great boat for the money. It's a package (boat, motor and trailer) boat and that has been Tracker's claim to fame since day one. As far as Sun Trackers go, they have as good of a warranty, if not better than, most other pontoon brands on the market (limited lifetime on the deck/structure and 10 year bow to stern). Pretty much every pontoon brand out there will give a "limited lifetime" warranty on the deck/structure of the boat but not everyone is giving 10 years bow to stern. No, Sun Tracker doesn't have quite as nice of a fit and finish and they may not use "high-end" materials for their interiors and they may not have as many options, but they stand behind everything they offer. Plus, like I said, it's a package boat.

Another nice thing is Tracker (White River Marine Group) sets the price for their dealers and that is the price the dealers have to sell for. Takes a lot of the "shady salesman" vibe out of the process.

Congrats on your new boat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top