Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2021 11:57:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Adder13]
Yesterday, my youngest and I decided to go and check out a creek that I had heard about. I had heard that the creek holds some nice fish for our area and it was not too far of a drive. We headed out fairly early but not too early. Once at the creek we got out to check it out and it looked like it could be promising and the water was nice and cold. While getting ready, I realized that I had forgotten my weighted nymph box at home. Oh well, I thought, I would just have to make do with what I had with me.

The fishing was slow with only a few chubs coming up. We decided to hike upstream to see if there were better holes.

After fishing a couple of places wit nothing to show, we went up even further until we came to a nice looking spot.

After a little while, the hole produced the first trout of the day for both of us.

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Deciding to check out the creek further, we went further upstream. We caught several more fish along the way.

The trip was cut a little short when I slipped on a submerged slimy rock, fell, hit my knee on a large cut my fingers open on a sharp rock and dropped my phone in the water. After a night in a bag of rice, my phone seems to be ok and I was able to get the pics off of it. I told my wife that had the phone died, I was 50/50 for ditching the smartphone and going back to a flip phone.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Good work getting going on fly fishing ! Starting young he'll be a great fisherman , maybe he already is !

Nice looking rainbow .
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
"Fishing a creek with my youngest"

Unless you're trying to catch a gar, I'd try worms.

Looks like a fun time!  Nice looking creek.  Sorry to hear you were injured though.  

I haven't been fishing in a long, long time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome pics!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Adder13:
I told my wife that had the phone died, I was 50/50 for ditching the smartphone and going back to a flip phone.
View Quote

Aren't most phones waterproof to some degree these days?
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WhyTanFox:
Awesome pics!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WhyTanFox:
Awesome pics!

I told my wife that had the phone died, I was 50/50 for ditching the smartphone and going back to a flip phone.

To me its the "to some degree" that bites you in the ass.

I bought a waterproof camera ($130) and I don't worry about it anymore. It is designed to be in the water and I am not risking my smartphone considering what they cost.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, yeah that’s a fun little creek and we had a great time. My youngest is starting to get more proficient with a fly rod and he is starting to enjoy it more. I made him leave his ultralight spin rod at home. I told him when I made the jump to fly fishing, I had to leave my spin stuff home so I didn’t default back to using it. Fun fact: the fly rod he was using that day my wife got for me as a Father’s Day gift six months after he was born. I told him that he was fishing a rod that was almost as old as him.

As far as the phone being water resistant. I actually still use my 6S as I’m not much of a phone guy. I’ll spend money on good firearms, fly fishing equipment, kayaks, cameras, and other things that I enjoy. For me phones aren’t really a thing.

I used to take a DSLR with me fishing. However, there came a point in time where taking all the photos and processing them became almost like a full time job and stopped being enjoyable . At that point I decided to slow down on the fishing reports and just use my phone to take a few pics. I suppose I should just invest in a waterproof point and shoot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you two had a great day!

I don't know how to wet/nymph angle -- wish I did, but dries sure are fun.  What were you using?  Just curious.

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys, yeah that’s a fun little creek and we had a great time. My youngest is starting to get more proficient with a fly rod and he is starting to enjoy it more. I made him leave his ultralight spin rod at home. I told him when I made the jump to fly fishing, I had to leave my spin stuff home so I didn’t default back to using it. Fun fact: the fly rod he was using that day my wife got for me as a Father’s Day gift six months after he was born. I told him that he was fishing a rod that was almost as old as him.

As far as the phone being water resistant. I actually still use my 6S as I’m not much of a phone guy. I’ll spend money on good firearms, fly fishing equipment, kayaks, cameras, and other things that I enjoy. For me phones aren’t really a thing.

I used to take a DSLR with me fishing. However, there came a point in time where taking all the photos and processing them became almost like a full time job and stopped being enjoyable . At that point I decided to slow down on the fishing reports and just use my phone to take a few pics. I suppose I should just invest in a waterproof point and shoot.
View Quote

That's what I did mainly due to me not wanting to trash my smartphone.

The cameras now are Bluetooth, so downloading pics is extremely easy and fast. I ended up with a Fuji Finepix 130, there are others probably even cheaper now.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:

To me its the "to some degree" that bites you in the ass.

I bought a waterproof camera ($130) and I don't worry about it anymore. It is designed to be in the water and I am not risking my smartphone considering what they cost.
View Quote

Some degree is relative to how lucky you are. I had my iPhone in a “waterproof” case in my wader pocket. Had to wade deep to net a client fish and some water, not much, got in my pocket. Maybe a couple ounces tops. My phone was toast.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Those images of your kids doing what we all love are the most important possessions. The best thing to do is buy your kids a waterproof camera. Then you can see their world through their eyes. My daughter loves taking pictures with hers. She gets some good ones too!

Happy Father’s Day!
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice photos and fish.  Hopefully he continues the love of fly fishing his entire life.
One of the greatest gifts from my Dad.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I used to take a waterproof digital camera with me when fishing. After awhile I stopped taking pictures of fish.
It got to be a distraction from the fishing and after a couple dozen fish pictures whats the point.

My kids never got the fishing bug, if they did and went with me I'm sure I'd see it different.

The small water fall area looks man made.

Nothing better than exploring new water except when you ad one of your kids with you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top