Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2019 1:26:30 AM EDT
When you go fishing do you have a strategy in mind about which lures you will use first, then what you will go to next if that doesn’t work? Or if it does work, maybe something that will exploit that area?

For example: using spinnerbait first to cover more water. Then trying a jig or worm if that doesn’t work.

What lures are usually the first ones you cast?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:17:38 AM EDT
[#1]
What are you targeting?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:28:54 AM EDT
[#2]
https://www.outdoorlife.com/10-best-topwater-lures-for-bass#page-2

I've had great luck with Jitterbugs for decades.

Zara Spooks have been very good for me.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 5:04:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ydididothis] [#3]
Busting banks, I'll keep it simple and throw a wacky or neko rig first to locate fish, you can cover a lot of water fishing that way. I'm in and out after a few shakes because most of the time it get's bit on slack line. I keep 10 rods on the deck with variations of bait that I have the most confidence in. There are several different ways to break down a lake.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ydididothis:
Busting banks, I'll keep it simple and throw a wacky or neko rig first to locate fish, you can cover a lot of water fishing that way. I'm in and out after a few shakes because most of the time it get's bit on slack line. I keep 10 rods on the deck with variations of bait that I have the most confidence in. There are several different ways to break down a lake.
View Quote
This.  Focus on what each lure excels out, and honestly listen to the lake and what it is telling you. If you catch 2 fish in a row on a similar bait/location its not chance. Its a pattern forming.  Also understand what sun does on your body of water.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
FRAGS
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]
My 8 year old gets a thrill from hooking even the smallest bluegill.  All we use are worms.  Stop at the convenience store on the way out, grab a coffee and 2-3 packs of worms and head out.  No strategy really, just get the line in the water and see what happens.  He has been crushing it this summer.  Mostly bluegill, rock bass, pumpkinseeds, etc., but also some nice smallmouth.  Caught his first brown bullhead the other day although that was on powerbait.  But yeah worms seem to do the trick.  This morning I managed a beautiful lake trout on a little  worm.  I have other lures but we never get to them.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By M4A1Carbine:
When you go fishing do you have a strategy in mind about which lures you will use first, then what you will go to next if that doesn’t work? Or if it does work, maybe something that will exploit that area?

For example: using spinnerbait first to cover more water. Then trying a jig or worm if that doesn’t work.

What lures are usually the first ones you cast?
View Quote
What season is it

What fish am I trying to catch

Temperature

Water level I’ll be fishing

Water temperature

Time of season

Time of day

What I want to take

I don’t give out secrets man. But these are the most general questions to ask yourself.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 3:40:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#8]
Deep? Shallow? Structure? Grass? Clear? Murky? Weather? Windy? Calm? Is it spawning time?

Lots of variables. That’s what prefishing is for... finding patterns for plan A, plan B, plan C.

Catching fish when you know what to throw and where the fish are is easy. That’s how guides get paid. Knowing the where and how is what separates the consistent money winners from the donation pool.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Old thread, but info is good.  A bobber and a worm.  Tried and true.  Works, cause it works.  Also, rooster tails.  They're freaking crack for anything that swims.  And you cover a lot, of water, very fast with them.wanna get real technical and shit, time to bust out the fly rod and the stomach pump...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top