Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2020 12:59:08 AM EDT
Every year I take a trip with friends down to southern Louisiana to go inshore and offshore fishing. This year we decided to extend the trip by adding a hog hunt, off airboats. I've never been hog hunting before. The guide said that the best thing to bring is a 12ga shooting 00 buck but said we were free to bring whatever. I'm planning on taking a 300blk shooting the 110gr. Barnes Tac-Tx. I'm shooting a Larue SUURG which is an 11.5 barrel with suppressor. I don't think this is a situation where there will be a lot of shots at great distance, more of a drive by type of thing.

The rifle right now has a NF NX8 on it. I was thinking about using it mostly as a red dot on low magnification. Alternatively, I was considering taking off the NF and putting on an Eotech w/magnifier.

What do you guys suggest? Anything else I need to know or be thinking about?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:10:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Relax, have a good time. Don’t drink too much until after you shoot your piggie. Make sure you practice with your rifle and Ammo so you’re comfortable and familiar with it.  Just enjoy the good time. Take lots of pictures and post them here.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:04:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive hunted pigs for years but different geography than what you're doing.

But I would suggest keeping the 1x8. Nice to be able to use the magnification if needed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#3]
If you shoot a big old boar, don't grab him by the pecker when you go to field dress it.  If you do, watch out for the splooge.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest a softer bullet. Maybe an SST, Ballistic Tip, Game King...

The Barnes 110s don’t expand enough at 300BLK SBR velocities, imo.

I’d bring a shotgun with 00 buck too, as the guide suggests. It’s the same pita flying or traveling in general with two long guns as one.

Sounds like a fun hunt! Good luck with the hunt and the fishing too!
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ive hunted pigs for years but different geography than what you're doing.

But I would suggest keeping the 1x8. Nice to be able to use the magnification if needed.
View Quote
Quoted:

I’d bring a shotgun with 00 buck too, as the guide suggests. It’s the same pita flying or traveling in general with two long guns as one.

View Quote
The above and a Therma cell for the mosquitoes with very light weight long sleeve shirts. The airboat will aid the sun in blistering you to a new level of missery!
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Therma Cell is good advice!
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I've tried it both ways (dot w/magnifier and 1-'whatever' power scopes).  I've found that I personally like a low power scope (typically 1-6x) best, especially if it has a center that illuminates and I can use it like a red dot so to speak when using the 1x power.  For me, I find it easier to zoom a scope to the magnification I need than to slap a magnifier and hope the magnification is what I want it at.

I remember going on the first 5yrs of hog hunting trips and at some point in the trip I wished I had brought something else too.  What you eventually learn is to be as proficient with as simple of a setup as you can.  At that point you'll kill hogs like second nature.

Good luck!!!! and enjoy your trip!!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the good advice. Sighted her in yesterday. Ready for some bacon.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like you’re going to be in great shape. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

If you are a deer hunter, practice by googling pictures of hogs and thinking quickly about where you would shoot them. Many shots at hogs take place in a short time window, and on my first hog hunting trip I placed most of my shots behind the shoulder as you would on a deer. It resulted in lots of lost hogs. Shoot them in or just behind the ear, and they’ll drop on the spot, but you have to train your mind to do that quickly and under a little pressure!
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Appreciate all the good advice. Just got back from the trip and it was epic. In the end we smoked 15 of the intruders. Absolute adrenaline rush spotting them running through the canes and then trying to chase them down on airboats.

Here are a few of the departed swine.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:02:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Outstanding....that looks like it was a blast!
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Appreciate all the good advice. Just got back from the trip and it was epic. In the end we smoked 15 of the intruders. Absolute adrenaline rush spotting them running through the canes and then trying to chase them down on airboats.

Here are a few of the departed swine.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202376/IMG_5006_jpg-1318088.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202376/IMG_5013_jpg-1318089.JPG
View Quote
A pile of pigs always put a smile on your face.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I sure don't know where you get your information from but this proves you wrong....

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I sure don't know where you get your information from but this proves you wrong....

https://i.imgur.com/2wwE37D.jpg
View Quote

Sorry bro, JPK has SIX dead pigs in his avator, you only have one in your pic.
Ima gonna go with JPK on this.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Where did you book your trip if you don't mind sharing?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Where did you book your trip if you don't mind sharing?
View Quote

Sure.  It’s Elite Airboat Hog Hunting based out of Violet Louisiana.  Look them up on Facebook.  If you are familiar with the show Swamp People, one of those guys was my captain.  Great bunch of guys.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#17]
duplicate.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:54:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks like you’re going to be in great shape. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

If you are a deer hunter, practice by googling pictures of hogs and thinking quickly about where you would shoot them. Many shots at hogs take place in a short time window, and on my first hog hunting trip I placed most of my shots behind the shoulder as you would on a deer. It resulted in lots of lost hogs. Shoot them in or just behind the ear, and they’ll drop on the spot, but you have to train your mind to do that quickly and under a little pressure!
View Quote

Had a buddy who said the same thing. Interesting on how the anatomy of the animal plays into a clean, ethical kill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top