Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2021 10:54:26 PM EDT
The ARRL letter for this week states that "First-Time Exam Applicants Must Obtain FCC Registration Number Before Taking Exam".  Beginning May 20, 2021, all amateur examination applicants will be required to provide an FCC Registration Number (FRN) to the Volunteer Examiners (VEs) before taking an amateur exam.  Also take note that after June 29, all applications will be required to contain an email address for FCC correspondence.  Full text of the new rules are in the page linked above.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Huh. The guy running the exam session when I took my tests suggested to me that I set up an FRN before taking the test. He said if I did that, it would make my life easier going forward. He handed me a laptop already on the necessary FCC page and coached me a little on what info to put. Having said that, it is simply filling out a form and is not difficult, and it provides you with your FRN immediately.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:21:56 AM EDT
[#2]
What's the over/under on FCC making phone number a required field too? Love having an optional field incur extra work in this era.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:38:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Not a huge deal, everybody already does it anyway, so their soc. isnt visible to the whole world.  Common sense.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:18:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree, it's not a big deal.  I set one up some time ago when I last had to renew my license.  The reason I posted this is that this is the first I've heard of it and  May 20 is only a week away.  Somebody is going to get to an exam session without an FRN and isn't going to be allowed to take the test they have prepped for.  That would be ugly!
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#5]
All the Examiners were very clear on that back in February.  It was well advised on their web page and even in radio announcement discussions on the air about the exam date.

granted it was new I believe and they might understandably slack off on the warning to get it even though it is still necessary.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I used my SSN because I didn’t have an FRN.

Have one now, of course, but looks like there’s no choice now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All the Examiners were very clear on that back in February.  It was well advised on their web page and even in radio announcement discussions on the air about the exam date.

granted it was new I believe and they might understandably slack off on the warning to get it even though it is still necessary.
View Quote

OK, good.  I hadn't heard anything about it and was afraid they were just now announcing it.  Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

OK, good.  I hadn't heard anything about it and was afraid they were just now announcing it.  Thanks for the clarification.
View Quote

It is a VERY good thing to inform people of this requirement. You might consider editing your thread subject line to add FRN Required to take Exam, or something, so that someone just skimming down the list of thread titles would know how important it is. When I went to my exam session, I did not even know there was such a thing as an FRN, and it was only because the guy running things strongly suggested I get one and handed me a laptop so that I could. I think he mentioned about not having to give your SSN, which was certainly the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is a VERY good thing to inform people of this requirement. You might consider editing your thread subject line to add FRN Required to take Exam, or something, so that someone just skimming down the list of thread titles would know how important it is. When I went to my exam session, I did not even know there was such a thing as an FRN, and it was only because the guy running things strongly suggested I get one and handed me a laptop so that I could. I think he mentioned about not having to give your SSN, which was certainly the way to go.
View Quote

Good idea.  Title edited ;)
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good idea.  Title edited ;)
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top