Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2021 2:12:32 AM EDT
So... I started hunting 3 years ago for deer. Had my first actual successful hunt last November, really fell in love with it then.

Talked to a buddy of mine and he had a buddy that needed some does culled from his property, took me out there and I got me two in one day.

My buddy asked me if I'd be interested in going and doing a guided Sandhill Crane hunt. Said, sure, why the fuck not. The next day I won a Beretta A400 Upland 20ga. God intends for this to happen.

Drove the 5 hours to his place the night prior. We stepped off at 0600 the next morning, linked up with the party of 11, got into the blind and waited.

The sun came up and the crane started flying. It didn't work out well for a few of em.

Had a blast. Really enjoyed shooting the A400. Really enjoyed my introduction to hunting birds. Can't wait to get some more.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:21:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SilkyCowboy] [#1]
Do you eat them? Serious question as I have heard about it but don't know anyone who has actually hunted them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:23:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Ribeye of the sky. Nice job.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:36:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LineOfDeparture] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Silky_Cowboy:
Do you eat them? Serious question as I have heard about it but don't know anyone who has actually hunted them.
View Quote

Yeah, they taste like steak. Don't taste like waterfowl at all.

My buddy threw some seasoning on some and reversed seared em the night after the hunt. Was pretty damned good. My wife is all excited to try some stuff with what I brought home this morning. We decided to soak all the meat I got off of em.

@Silky_Cowboy

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Making this Florida Man jealous.  Not only are we not allowed to hunt them, we have to slow down or stop when driving to let them stroll across the street through traffic.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#5]

My house sits under their spring route. Could knock down hundreds if I had an 88.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Idaholandho:
Ribeye of the sky. Nice job.
View Quote

I concur, they are absolutely delicious!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#7]
How do you hunt them?  I know they decoy, but do you call them or use motion decoys?  I assume agricultural fields?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Never tried to hunt them.  We can put in for special permit draw. That let's you shoot 1 bird.  

Looks like an awesome hunt OP!
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FedDC:
How do you hunt them?  I know they decoy, but do you call them or use motion decoys?  I assume agricultural fields?
View Quote

Just regular decoys in an agricultural field nearby a body of water. They were flying around all damned day while we were there. A stick of em would come in to land and we busted em on approach. I'm gonna see about getting after some of them next season on some of the public land out here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top