Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2018 12:23:14 PM EDT
After looking at used and all the possible issues that can come up with used/old motors and cost to fix, wife and I are debating on just getting a new boat with warranty. Rational is that instead of being out of pocket 5-6k for a decent boat of similiar size,  use half that for a down payment and the other half towards the first years payments.

Uses: Cruising intercoastal and fishing.

The Mako is priced right, very low frills, but exactly what I am looking for.

Cons? All the videos.post I've seen on this particular boat have been very positive, with most negatives about Mako being their other/older boats.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Biggest con to new boats is the depreciation.  At least, it is around here anyway.  $40k new boats 3 years down the road I see sit on craigslist for months at 20k asking.  Too many 5-9 year old boats at $10-15k price tags and the difference in boat isn't much.

The money you lose in depreciation alone in the first couple years could have probably bought a new motor for your older boat and still come in cheaper in the long run.  Yes, it took some work(zero shop work...all done myself for very little money), but my 38 year old Johnson outboard on my $1500 bass boat would start and run like a top.  I can't tell you the amount of times I would put in right next to a 3 year old boat, fire it up, and head out while they were still cranking and swearing at it.

I don't know anything about Mako boats themselves, however, if you have the coin and aren't too worried about re-sale, I say go for it.  New boats have that feel you can't get anywhere else.

JMO - Post pics if you get it though!
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
OP,

Curious as to what you did if anything?

I'm a big fan if buying used, for the same reason that the above poster stated, depreciation.  There are a ton of boats out there that people just get tired of, after sitting in their storage unit or back yard for years.  When they finally sell, motor not running due to length of time, you have a great opportunity to buy.

As for Skiffs in general:
Pros: inexpensive, can run in some darn skinny water (6"+), and rather simple to clean and set up to your liking.
Cons:  Do not like choppy water - it will be a wet ride in these conditions.

Having said that, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on a good deal Skiff.  Under the right conditions, they're nice bay boats.  You can use a trolling motor to easily get them into the marshes to chase some nice Redfish . . . .

CMOS
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for replies, forgot I posted thi. We ended up going with an 18' Tidewater cc for a great price. I understand the used aspect, but didn't want to worry about any issues and wanted a full warranty. I posted some pics in the photo it thread.

Eidt: it was a 2017 left over, new with a 115 Yamaha.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
For the intercostal waters, the Mako you are looking at is great.  The bow design gets a bit choppy if you go offshore and it kicks up a bit.  I have friends with them who would buy them again, so it’s a good choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top