Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2019 5:56:33 PM EDT
My subject line is only because I know a lot of Y'all don't hunt on feeders in a lot of states. Hey I still love to hit the hard core places on my ranch and rattle. The last one I rattled in.....my rattling horns were larger them him. I let him walk. I think he just wanted to watch the fight.

I run about 8 feeders and keeping them going all year long would be damn expensive. I'm still getting used to being a ranch owner since my father passed but I can't see feeding all year long. I can turn some down I guess but I just shut them off (let the corn run out). Hell there is tons for them to eat. Every deer I shoot I cut it open to see what they have been eating. This past season was majority grass and of course corn I put out.
My first question is when should I start feeding again and my second is, should I feed the deer all year long on a low feed? I put minerals out but I'm lacking on that too. I'll fix that next trip, they go through it like candy.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Give us a little more land specific info and we can help you out.

General location
Property size
High fenced
Native tree species
Available natural water
Feral hogs present
Cattle present
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I don’t hunt over feeders, don’t feed anything, nor plant food plots.  It is not necessary if you have the right property.

If I needed the attraction of a feeder I would only do it for a limited amount of time.  Conversely I would prefer food plots.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm down the road from you on the Cherokee/San Saba border. I've done everything from no feeders to year round feed to see what works and what doesn't. I just got my protein feed going again but your question looks more about corn. I don't typically run much corn if any from mid Jan to about September. Nutrition wise, corn doesn't do much to help the deer so it's mainly an attractant. I found when I fed the same amount year round that during the summer months I was attracting a lot more hogs and coons.

I'll start running the corn pretty good in early October just so I can get a good headcount and see what's on the property. I'm not a fan of running cameras during the summer either so don't really start looking at the deer until right before season.

With all the rains and as green as it is this year you don't need to worry about it. I'm throwing a little corn but not much, mainly just to see some hogs.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#4]
There is little need to feed unless there are 1 of 2 conditions:  you are concerned about survival ( extreme winter here) or you want to attract for hunting.

In extreme winters I feed:  its simple.  I use a chain saw to hinge cut trees.  The tops are now down on the snow, and its the same feed they are living on.  I only provide more of it, to reduce winter kill.  This is a real issue here.

Other food plots are brassicas.  They are deliberately not palatable until fall.  They dont need feed!  The brassicas turn sweet during the season, and are preferred over other foods.  This draws more deer, and gives me more opportunities.  Also acts as supplemental feed for early winter, and enhances surivuval rates ( except fir the ones who are freezer wrapped!)..

Feeding year round is foolish
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're going to only feed them for a limited time, I'd feed them from the time they drop their antlers until they shed velvet. I'd also feed something other than just corn.

I run 4 feeders year round on my place. 3 are a roughly 50/50 mix of protein pellets and corn. The other is just corn. Right now, they're empty almost every time I go to fill them twice per week. I've got 3 food plots roughly and acre each and 1 small one too. The woods are full of oaks, blackberry, honeysuckle, etc. I've also got 3 mineral licks. My place is slap full of food and I could do without the feeders, but I enjoy doing the most I can for the deer. The bucks mostly hit the feeders at night, but I do get some daytime pics.

This is my first season where the bucks have had a full antler growing cycle with the protein pellets, so I don't know if it's going to make a difference yet. It's looking promising, but I'm not comfortable saying for sure.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is little need to feed unless there are 1 of 2 conditions:  you are concerned about survival ( extreme winter here) or you want to attract for hunting.

In extreme winters I feed:  its simple.  I use a chain saw to hinge cut trees.  The tops are now down on the snow, and its the same feed they are living on.  I only provide more of it, to reduce winter kill.  This is a real issue here.

Other food plots are brassicas.  They are deliberately not palatable until fall.  They dont need feed!  The brassicas turn sweet during the season, and are preferred over other foods.  This draws more deer, and gives me more opportunities.  Also acts as supplemental feed for early winter, and enhances surivuval rates ( except fir the ones who are freezer wrapped!)..

View Quote
Yep. It's really foolish to hold as many deer as possible on the land you're hunting. That's just a ridiculous idea.

Food and cover hold deer. Easy, high quality nutrition is a guaranteed win for holding deer. Give them good cover and you're there.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:32:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yep. It's really foolish to hold as many deer as possible on the land you're hunting. That's just a ridiculous idea.

Food and cover hold deer. Easy, high quality nutrition is a guaranteed win for holding deer. Give them good cover and you're there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We feed year round. Woods are thick. While there a some stands in the woods, most are on pipelines. Feeders help draw the deer out. Stalking a deer in the woods is almost impossible here.
Also, we have lots of pigs, so the feeder helps draw them out as well so we cam kill them
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#8]
During the "off season" I run a mix of corn & protein out of my feeder, dusk & dawn, for a 2 second throw.  This is more to keep the deer used to coming into the feeder than anything else, while supplementing their protein intake outside of my food plots & whatever else they're grazing on.

Depending on weather, I'll move to straight corn & 4 second throws around Octoberish.

Once the season begins, corn for 6 second throws, until I'm done hunting or the season is over, whichever comes 1st.

My approach is more about getting them to follow a pattern to better increase my odds.  Since my feeders are fenced, haven't had many issues with hogs, and the side benefit is that the turkeys come every spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top