Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2021 12:40:20 PM EDT
Kiddo is in scouts and we have a Kelty for him. Forget the model but it’s heavier than he needs.

Just looking for what others are using.

He’s 12, probably building up to a philmont trip in two years
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd hold off getting thing expensive one right now. He's going to be growing a lot and pack for that kind of trip needs to fit him. I did Philmont along time ago and I was 17 and the crew leader.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I  like external frame packs nut as Buckman said you might want to wait a bit before spending a lot on something he will outgrow soon.
Ebay and Goodwill etc. have been known to have good deals on packs especially for something that will have only short term use.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Philmont is a blast.   Gear today is so much better.  My pack was a external frame North Face it worked fine.   Make sure you get one with a nice waist belt.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I did Philmont- he will love it.

Personally I like externals - but they are all but extinct.

The main issue is that even if you put money on lightweight gear- the whole crew almost has to have that attitude -and a lot of parents my not be able to afford newer light gear or understand it.

If using the issued crew gear - it may be very hard to use a real lightweight pack that only carries 30 pounds well - especially with the potential water carrying requirements.

Ula circut comes to mind as a good potential choice
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a 85 liter Osprey.  It has been to Philmont once in 2017 and will be going back this coming summer.  I did Philmont in 87 with an external frame.  Fantastic warrenty
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got an Osprey and a Gregory.  Both are nice. They Osprey's a bit more durable. I'd say go to a shop that has a few and have him try a few with a decent load and see what feels best.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By spuddicus:
Kiddo is in scouts and we have a Kelty for him. Forget the model but it’s heavier than he needs.

Just looking for what others are using.

He’s 12, probably building up to a philmont trip in two years
View Quote

What's his size?  Get his torso size and make sure he's properly fitted and knows how a pack should sit and feel.  He may end up outgrowing his pack in two years though...

I like Osprey, Granite Gear, and Gregory for off-the-shelf backpacking packs.  Recommend going to a good outfitters store like REI (if they still have competent sales people), get fitted and then find an older model on Ebay for 50% or more in savings.  A lot of people buy a pack for one trip and never backpack again...good way to get a good pack for much, much less than retail.

If you really loved your son, you could invest in something like Seek Outside where the frame has extenders and you can upgrade to larger belt sizes, and even swap packs for different volume/carry loads.

Honestly, I try to avoid the one-pack fits all deals.  Some do have adjustable torso sizing, but unless you know what you're doing, you either buy a cheap pack or don't know how to properly adjust the torso length...

ROCK6

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Osprey and Gregory are the go to packs for comfort in my experience.  They keep the weight around your waist, instead of hanging off your shoulders.  Wife and I are long time primitive backpackers and have tried many brands of packs, on many different trails.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 5:31:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Osprey would be a strong choice. Depending on his pack weight, the exos series can be really nice and not overly expensive.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By moreammoplz:
Philmont is a blast.   Gear today is so much better.  My pack was a external frame North Face it worked fine.   Make sure you get one with a nice waist belt.

https://i.imgur.com/xLhGfm1l.jpg
View Quote
We're going next year, 10 day trek. 8 scouts and 4 ASMs
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Osprey seems to be the pick these days

70L is a nice size
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Many Osprey packs have an adjustable harness that covers 3-4 inches of torso length. When he outgrows it in a year or 2 you could probably find another Scout that can use it. Being fitted by someone who knows what they’re doing and with weight in the pack, with weight distributed for CG (which will be the most comfortable), is really essential. Have him walk around with it for an hour, up and down stairs if there are any.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Gregory is or was owned by Bianchi or the same group if that helps.   I had a two really good Gregory packs
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:18:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ajroyer] [#14]
We want to start hiking and have also been looking at packs. Haven't decided yet, but here's some things we're considering:

My 12 year old is smaller than his peers.  We were in REI trying on packs, and some of the women's packs fit him better. The size and fit really limited the in-store options.

We looked at the waist band, then the backing, then the zippers and straps.  We want good fit first.  We also want ease of access to pouches while walking, can you reach the water bottle, the snacks, whatever. Then we thought about access.  Are we going to have to dump the pack or dig through the bottom to get stuff?

I currently use a Sandpiper of California (SOC) bugout bag.  It has held up well for years.  No breathable backing, but sturdy waist strap and good compartments. I carry a lot of weight usually and it has held up well.

My buddy has taken his Maxxpedition Gyrfalcon on hikes.  He crams a ton of weight in it.  He reports comfortable fit, and really likes the extra compartmentalization.  The bottom pouch comes off and adds versatility in setup.

Several years ago I did an adventure race.  The big names were selling some custom packs that looked nice.  Lots of compartment access, designed for movement. Adventure racing packs might be another place to look though. The brand they made is "OutThere".  The guy I raced with bought one of the smaller packs. I haven't tried them.  They have videos on their website about using the packs.

Following to see what you end up getting.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 4:42:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 161Infantry] [#15]
I started out my boy with a kelty, he noe has a Gregory 65l

I use a Zpack arc haul 62l, weighs 22.5oz,

https://zpacks.com/products/arc-haul-backpack

UQB 20F down quilt 22oz
6 moons duetshes+ tarp 16oz
Klymit sleep pad 18oz
900 titanium pot 4 oz
Chinese tit stove 1 oz
Stove fuel 5oz
OR rain jacket 6.5oz
Puffy jacket 11oz
Sawyer squeeze water filter 3oz

Total 6.81 lbs

I add or subtract season depending
.base layer 11oz
Food
Water..I use smart water bottles
Extra socks
Small 1st aid kit
Bug head net
8 ounce external battery

I can last up to 7-10 days with food.

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Seek Outside pack that is 6400 cu in I can't remember the name of it though
I also have a HMG Southwest not sure on the size though
My 14 year old son did a hike of Resurrection Pass this summer and used an Alps Mountaineering Denali that worked just fine for him I don't think an Alps Pack would be to terrible for a kid He was going to use an unmodded ILBE pack and I decided that he didn't need a pack that weighed 1/10 of his body weight.  Osprey, Kelty and Gregory would all work as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 10:30:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Abbysdaddy04] [#17]
I’ve been using a 75L Osprey Volt (I guess their budget pack) and I really like it a lot. My 16 year old daughter has been using a 65L REI Tarn for 4 years and it’s been a good pack as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Until this year my summer overnighter/weekender pack was an Osprey Manta AG 36, but the Osprey Kestrel 38 that replaced it is more comfortable and rides closer to my back. Tonight will be my last time this year for using it and my summer gear (45F WM bag, uninsulated NEMO air mattress, etc), but there’s a G-3 solar storm hitting tonight and temps will be in the upper 30s under a crystal clear sky.
For temps from the mid-30s down to single digits I use an Osprey Atmos AG 50, it’s just barely big enough for everything when I use my 0F NEMO Sonic bag and pack my Marmot Greenland down parka. I’ve had it up to 35lb and it rides so comfortably I hardly know it’s there.
I have an Osprey Aether AG 70 for colder temps, I haven’t used it yet but may try using a sled for snowshoe camping this winter to keep the weight down on my snowshoes. I haven’t dialed in packing it yet, but it’s still very comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:40:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Well let’s see, I have an Osprey Talon 11, Osprey Stratos 22, an Osprey Kestrel 48, an Osprey Atmos AG 65, a Black Diamond (50ish something), and two old REI packs, 40 and 65 liters IIRC.

I really should put a few up in EE.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Ive used Kelty back in the day but coming from a hunting background Im pretty found of Kifaru, or Kuiu packs. I like the Kuiu rack system since it lets me choose different bags like a 1850 for a day pack, or 6000 for a longer hunt.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Is anyone running a GORUCK brand bag? I have a nice canvas Duluth Pack laptop pack but I am considering getting a second bag.

I am done using/buying  imported asian nylon packs. Total garbage.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Gregory and Osprey make really good backpacking packs.  Arc'Teryx does as well but they seem to be a little heavier and a lot more expensive.

My son has an intro level osprey pack, it's enough he can carry some clothes and his sleeping bag in.  I started off as a kid with an outlet store external frame and I did just fine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I have been through too many packs.  Right now, I use a HMG Southwest (40 liter) and a Z-Packs Arc Blast.  My back is fried, so I try to stay as light on my "big 4" as I can without inducing a suffer-fest in camp.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I went to Philmont twice. First time was with an external pack (still have it), second with a Gregory internal. The answer is internal, hand's down. Far easier to manage on the copious up- and downhills. I haven't done multi-day hikes in awhile, but the last was with an ULA P1 with a USGI sleep pad as the frame.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#25]
ULA Circuit or Ohm if going moderately lightweight.

Rei Flash 55 for something with a more robust frame and load capacity. They used to go on sale a couple of times a year or use a member coupon.

If the Troop does not practice lightweight backpacking a frameless or minimally framed pack will suck. Think less than 14 pounds baseweight plus fuel, food, and water.

My son's were running about half the weight of the other kids in the Troop on backpacking trips. No extravagant gear, no $700 Dyneema tents. Just careful planning, cutting unnecessary gear, practice to learn what is really needed. For example the kids would take a couple of pairs of pants and a few shirts but ended up wearing the same clothes for several days.

Backpackinglightdotcom has a Philmont forum with good info.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the Opsrey Packs. We have three of them total. But I would recommend going to a place like REI and letting their experts fit your son. I did it recently with my son and we ended up with a different pack than what we thought we would get. It was still an Osprey, but different model. But we found a few possible packs that could have worked by doing this. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#27]
What I've had and what's still around and serviceable.
2 1 TNF
1 0 Dana
1 USMC ILBE
5 4 Gregory
4 Black Diamond
1 Osprey
1 0 A5

The Gregory packs are my backpacking packs, the z55 and z65 weren't all that great, but a welcomed lightweight change from the older expedition packs I used to happily sport.  My go to backpacking packs are now a Baltoro 95 and Zulu 55.  The Baltoro 95 is a ridiculous size, but climbing gear, photography gear and 10 days of food will fill it out; if you need more space or ease of access to lighter stuff, you can always strap another 25L pack to the 95L; if you hate happiness.  The Zulu55 is a great size, sturdy carry, good feature set.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:39:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#28]
Originally Posted By TheDuckhunter:
I have been through too many packs.  Right now, I use a HMG Southwest (40 liter) and a Z-Packs Arc Blast.  My back is fried, so I try to stay as light on my "big 4" as I can without inducing a suffer-fest in camp.
View Quote

My back is toast too, I use a HMG Junction 2400.
ETA: Just picked up a 3400 during their sale.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah,  I own 10 or so backpacking packs.  Currently use a zpack nero.  So in my 20 years of backpacking went from a 80L gregory to a 38L zpack.  

For a kid I wouldn't recommend a frameless zpack yet.  An osprey or gregory will work fine.  But don't get a freaking huge pack,  go with 50-60L.  It will force him to prioritize whats important and be more comfortable anyway.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 7:59:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ME2112] [#30]
I’ve really grown to like my Granite Gear Crown2 packs (38l & 60l.) They’re amazingly comfortable, but if I go much over 30lb in the 60l it gets uncomfortable. I’m going to buy a 1/16” sheet of carbon fiber to make a frame sheet and see how it affects the carry. The major con in my mind is the shoulder harnesses aren’t adjustable for torso length, so someone in the early teens might find even a small men’s pack too big. But they’re light (not UL, though), have a GREAT compression strap system, hip belt pockets are easy to open while wearing the pack, and come in interesting colors.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Getting fitted is a great start.

I replaced my old 1980's EMS monster large with a Exo mountain gear K3 6400 that's a little smaller and can be sized down or up depending on how long I'm out there. I've been super happy with it, but they are spendy.

https://exomtngear.com/collections/packs/products/k3-6400-pack-system

-P
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Anyone have experience with waxed/oiled canvas backpack?  Or are they just hipster-ish?
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Javak:
Anyone have experience with waxed/oiled canvas backpack?  Or are they just hipster-ish?
View Quote

Waxed canvas sucks in any kind of heat. Gets gummy and tacky. There are a lot better (lighter) options these days. Canvas is durable and easily repairable, but you pay the price with weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top