Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2018 5:13:20 PM EDT
Anyone have any one specific brand they prefer over another that produces USA made wool short/long sleeved light and mid-weight shirts including button-up flannel type? I'm more or less looking for pro's and con's on these brands if anyone has experience with their products.

Currently the brands I am looking at are:

Minus33
SmartWool
Pendleton
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a handful of Minus33 products and couldn’t make a single complaint about any of them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:51:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Icebreaker and Ibex are quality brands, but expensive...you need a pro-discount or get them on sale.  There are some brands that are just not very durable (like Stoic); if you find a great deal on a brand that is likely made in China, you'll find out quickly why it was so cheap...

Smartwool and Minus33 are excellent brands as well.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Icebreaker and Ibex are quality brands, but expensive...you need a pro-discount or get them on sale.  There are some brands that are just not very durable (like Stoic); if you find a great deal on a brand that is likely made in China, you'll find out quickly why it was so cheap...

Smartwool and Minus33 are excellent brands as well.

ROCK6
View Quote
I tend to buy once cry once with my outdoor gear simply because I need to trust it hiking in the back country. So it looks like my choices are limited as I refuse to buy the imported garbage.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a handful of Minus33 products and couldn’t make a single complaint about any of them.
View Quote
How do the products fit? Are they true to size, run small, run large?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have quite a bit of Icebreaker and Smartwool baselayers that I wear, but I wear First Lite stuff for the most amount of time per year.

I found the Ibex stuff that I have to be meh and not that durable.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#6]
A year or 2 ago, Sam's Club had Omniwool shirts.  I picked up 3 or 4 when they were on clearance for $5.  I'm VERY happy with them for the price, but would still recommend for the ~$20-25 street price.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have quite a bit of Icebreaker and Smartwool baselayers that I wear, but I wear First Lite stuff for the most amount of time per year.

I found the Ibex stuff that I have to be meh and not that durable.
View Quote
Forgot First Lite.  There stuff is sadly made in China, but QA/QC is excellent as is material and construction...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been happy with smartwool base layers/shirts. If there are cheaper alternatives I'm all ears!
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Filson
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Forgot First Lite.  There stuff is sadly made in China, but QA/QC is excellent as is material and construction...

ROCK6
View Quote
Most of my stuff is Vietnam.

I wish it was US made, but the prices would be insane.

I forgot to mention, I do have a few pieces of TAD merino wool that are US made. I would say that the quality of sewing is second to none, but the wool is kind of meh IMO.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both first lite and smart wool in a variety of weights and sleeve lengths.  All have held up well, and I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How do the products fit? Are they true to size, run small, run large?
View Quote
Mine are a bit on the shorter side, but check out amazon reviews for a larger sample.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mine are a bit on the shorter side, but check out amazon reviews for a larger sample.
View Quote
That's what I am afraid of. I need to find somewhere local that has one or two of these brands.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#14]
www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-tst-l1-t-shirt-merino-wool/32883

And check out the pukkos and skrama
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A year or 2 ago, Sam's Club had Omniwool shirts.  I picked up 3 or 4 when they were on clearance for $5.  I'm VERY happy with them for the price, but would still recommend for the ~$20-25 street price.
View Quote
I’ve been wearing Omniwool brand socks from Sam’s Club for YEARS, and they have really held up well.  I machine wash them and don’t turn them inside out as recommend.  In spite of this incorrect maintenance they are still as warm as ever.

No holes, no failed stitching, no failed elastic.

If their other products are as good as their socks ... I’d trust my life to it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Asked my wife ...

I’ve been cycling thru the same 14 pairs of Omniwool socks for over six years.

Basically a pair a day for two weeks then laundered.

My feet get COLD easily so I wear the socks early fall on thru to early spring.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 5:36:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I have several icebreaker first layer shirts.  They seem ok but as others say, you need to purchase through a pro deal.  It’s absurd to spend $60 for a wool teeshirt.  The 200 weight military ones seem to be sized on the small side.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’ve been wearing Omniwool brand socks from Sam’s Club for YEARS, and they have really held up well.  I machine wash them and don’t turn them inside out as recommend.  In spite of this incorrect maintenance they are still as warm as ever.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have too many hobbies to spend much $$ on anything that isn't multi-purpose and or versatile.  I wear the omniwool backpacking (sleep shirt and camp work on cool nights) hunting in WV and OH, and snowboarding mostly in NY.  Usually I think those lil thumb holes are dumb, but for hunting they help keep you sleeves down with mutiple layers and snowboarding with all the motion and keeps the snow and wind away from your glove/sleeve split.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Asked my wife ...

I’ve been cycling thru the same 14 pairs of Omniwool socks for over six years.

Basically a pair a day for two weeks then laundered.

My feet get COLD easily so I wear the socks early fall on thru to early spring.
View Quote
For socks I only wear Darn Tough, Smart Wool or Farm to Feet. I usually buy 2-3 pairs when I see them on clearance on a few sites. I wonder why those two brands have not busted into making base layer clothing yet.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Outdoor Research and SmartWool are my go-to for merino clothing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Icebreaker makes very high quality clothing.  We have been using this and other brands for years and Icebreaker is the best in our experience.  The criteria are quality, durability, fit and comfort.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I wear Smartwool socks, woolx boxers. I am looking to venture into shirts though.

Nmg
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wear Smartwool socks, woolx boxers. I am looking to venture into shirts though.

Nmg
View Quote
Well I bit the bullet and got a Smartwool shirt to test drive. Got the long sleeve merino 150 base layer, so far so good in the fit department. They seem to fit pretty true to size.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Well I bit the bullet and got a Smartwool shirt to test drive. Got the long sleeve merino 150 base layer, so far so good in the fit department. They seem to fit pretty true to size.
View Quote
Thanks for the Info! They are on my short list to purchase.

NMG
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#25]
https://www.kuiu.com/hunting-shirts/

KUIU

Unfortunately I don't think they are made in the US but the are very high quality and work well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.kuiu.com/hunting-shirts/

KUIU

Unfortunately I don't think they are made in the US but the are very high quality and work well.
View Quote
Same with First-Lite.  But I will say, despite the country of manufacture, the material quality and stitching are superb.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone tried this place?

https://asbellwool.com/t/mens
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Icrebreaker for base layers, Pendleton for plaids.

I've scored all my Pendleton's at thrift stores, never paid more than $10.

I've paid full price for ice breaker and not regretted it.  Sleeveless T that I mostly wear for working out, short sleeve T that I wore out after about 3 years, and a long sleeve T that I still wear.

Men's Wearhouse has a 1/4 zip mock turtleneck mid weight merino that goes on sale every year, or get it when they do BOGO, and I've got a few of those also.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Ha!  I've got a half dozen pendleton wool shirts that my grandmother made.  I wear them a LOT and they sure do hold up.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Go LL Bean! Bought most of the others and the LL Bean are the best!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top