Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2022 2:35:20 PM EDT
This thing is pretty sweet. I emailed the maker of the radio, and he has them available direct from China. The website says shipping delays, but they are in stock if you are interested. You can fast forward a bit in the first video, he has some snow and kid stuff at the beginning. Second video is someone using it I am not sure where.
10w with external power or battery, and 5w with internal battery.
FX-4C He said he would take care of any issues on radios bought from his site, but not from ebay. Apparently this is being copied and sold right out of the chute.
"Honey, Who Shrunk My KX2?" FX-4C QRP Radio

Transceiver QRP FX-4C short test

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty cool! XT-60 power connector is kinda genius for all the folks that use LiPo RC batteries. We live in a good time for having lots of equipment options. 10-15 years ago the only multi-mode QRP rigs available were the FT-817 and IC-703 (few more options for CW only rigs - KX1, PFR-3B, etc). Now there's a ton - Icom, Yaesu, Elecraft, Lab599, Xiegu, QRP Labs, uSDX, FX-4C, CTX-10, etc. etc. Some are better than other but take your pick!
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Neat! I'm gonna see how it goes doing QRP when my CW transceiver gets here. If I like it, I may buy something like this to give me more than just CW.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Slick form factor.  I went cheap and uBitx.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow.  That's actually really cool.

Tag for updates.  Would love to see a video review from one of the typical guys.

ETA:  The build in sound card interface makes this thing very interesting.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is another interesting QRP radio, (15w max) that has a lot of features for the money. This one comes with or without internal battery.

HF SDR Transceiver RS-918 mcHF
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is another interesting QRP radio, (15w max) that has a lot of features for the money. This one comes with or without internal battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC4mlC5_U-4
View Quote
I've been using an RS-918 for about 2 years as my portable radio.  It's a good functional radio with a few little quirks you need to get used to.  They advertise doing 15W, but the reality is they are achieving that by over-driving the finals and it really only gets that amount of power on a few bands (40, 30, 20M) where the design is optimized for and you risk shortening the life of the transistors at that PO.  I recommend if you get on, hook it up to a good power meter and used the software alignment menu to back the power off to a max of 10W on all bands you can.  For 10 meters, it will max out at 6-8W, even with the adjustment maxed out.

Other than that, it's not very rugged so you have to be a bit careful with it, but I've taken mine on a lot of trips and it's still chugging along.

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Neat! I'm gonna see how it goes doing QRP when my CW transceiver gets here. If I like it, I may buy something like this to give me more than just CW.
View Quote

There must be something wrong with me. I have the G90, but would like to have one of these for portable use. I don't think you will have issues getting contacts if your antenna works well. If they can hear you, they will work you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Slick form factor.  I went cheap and uBitx.
View Quote

Reminds me of an old GE RANGR control head.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I am still eyeing this radio, but for another 100.00 I can get a xiegu x6100 which has a tuner and internal battery.
There are several videos, most of them short, of folks making contacts with the FX-4C.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool stuff!

Amazing they get so many features into the small packages.  

It’d be interesting to see their real power consumption.  That is the main thing to look at right after the does it work as intended.  

I love the full color pan adapter screens but I wonder how much battery that uses.   Two hours at the park may not matter but a three day weekend probably would if you’re not packing solar or spare batteries.

Love that the Xeigu radios have antenna tuners.  That is getting to be a must have in my opinion.  I did just break down and bought a LDG Z817 Tuner for field use.   I won’t always need it but Sometimes it may be necessary.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I think my G90 will tune a lawn chair, and the tuner in the 6100 is the same one.
Folks have hacked the 6100, so I expect some pretty cool things will be developed for it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Found a new video review. This guy used it for a couple weeks on ssb and cw. Pretty good review of basic functions and performance.
#355: Radio Review: FX-4C SDR QRP Transceiver | Review of features and operating controls
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Have they worked out all the bugs in the 6100?  I have wanted a QRP SDR radio with an internal tuner and an OLED waterfall display.  

It's beena few years and I haven't been following them closely, but I remember there being some issues with firmware bugs or something.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]
They have been updating the software frequently. There is also a group that has hacked the programming. Not sure what they are up to. Programming turns my brain into an amoeba.
They have fixed a lot of the issues.
I would love to have one, going to have to save up again. I spent my radio money going to joker1's place to help the dogs. It was worth it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC4mlC5_U-4
View Quote

Looked into these last night.  It looks like the RS-918 is a clone of the open source mcHF radio project and runs the same firmware.  The developer is understandably upset because he does not allow commercial use of the design, but China being China, it's out there.

The real mcHF radio has to be bought as a kit and assembled.  You can get the boards with all the SMD already installed and then just do the remaining through hole stuff.

That's something I'd love to build but don't have enough free time with kids and job and all that.

So I'm wondering which would be the better radio, the RS-918, Or the X6100?  The Xiegu has a similar layout and a much bigger screen.  But I've read reviews comparing it to an IC705 and the audio is supposedly inferior (which I guess isn't a fair comparison).
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Looked into these last night.  It looks like the RS-918 is a clone of the open source mcHF radio project and runs the same firmware.  The developer is understandably upset because he does not allow commercial use of the design, but China being China, it's out there.

The real mcHF radio has to be bought as a kit and assembled.  You can get the boards with all the SMD already installed and then just do the remaining through hole stuff.

That's something I'd love to build but don't have enough free time with kids and job and all that.

So I'm wondering which would be the better radio, the RS-918, Or the X6100?  The Xiegu has a similar layout and a much bigger screen.  But I've read reviews comparing it to an IC705 and the audio is supposedly inferior (which I guess isn't a fair comparison).
View Quote

The X6100 has a tuner that kicks the IC705's ass. I wear headphones for 95% of my radio time, and am mostly deaf, so audio is not something I would be able talk about.
I check the mcHF site regularly to buy a kit, but have never seen them in stock.
I would buy the X6100 for the tuner and warranty. The price difference isn't much when you get the 918 with internal battery.
The 6100 gets regular updates from xiegu, Not sure on the 918.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The X6100 has a tuner that kicks the IC705's ass. I wear headphones for 95% of my radio time, and am mostly deaf, so audio is not something I would be able talk about.
I check the mcHF site regularly to buy a kit, but have never seen them in stock.
I would buy the X6100 for the tuner and warranty. The price difference isn't much when you get the 918 with internal battery.
The 6100 gets regular updates from xiegu, Not sure on the 918.
View Quote

Okay that's good to know.  I definitely like the idea of an internal tuner.

I have been holding out for a similar offering from yaesu.  When they released the FT-818 I was surprised it was just an 817 with minor changes.  But I also worry that as soon as I buy something, yaesu will release one within a year.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Okay that's good to know.  I definitely like the idea of an internal tuner.

I have been holding out for a similar offering from yaesu.  When they released the FT-818 I was surprised it was just an 817 with minor changes.  But I also worry that as soon as I buy something, yaesu will release one within a year.
View Quote

I find it interesting that the Xiegu radios are regularly compared to radios that cost twice as much. The feature set for the money is pretty amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top