Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 35 of 38)
Page / 38
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 6:21:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FSAL] [#1]
For those that are interested, Rover Parts has the Valpro NATO fuel cans back in stock again (they were cleaned out after the recent pipeline issue).

https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-accessories/jerry-cans/GJC20K4/
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#2]
That's not a bad price. About what I paid for mine 12 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 2:07:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: boltcatch] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FSAL:

Do you mind sharing where you sourced the cans? Have you mentioned it to the seller to see if they have any ideas? It definitely sounds like an unusual issue based on how highly everyone speaks of wavian cans.
View Quote

They're legit Wavian cans for sure, but persec.

Some are in a covered ventilated space that's not hot except during the day a couple weeks a year, and some are in a garage that stays fairly cool even on hot days.

Just checked one the other day, it had a trickle of orange-ish stuff that had seeped out again.

If I pop the lids when warm they have pressure built up and they don't leak when upside down or sloshed around, so beats me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone found any powered pumps for the Wavian style cans? My Durango has a capless filler and the funnel for those are so small I struggle with not spilling all over the fender or not getting the flexible filler all the way in to avoid spilling into the overflow. Capless is a stupid design but it's what I have for now.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Escotch:
Has anyone found any powered pumps for the Wavian style cans? My Durango has a capless filler and the funnel for those are so small I struggle with not spilling all over the fender or not getting the flexible filler all the way in to avoid spilling into the overflow. Capless is a stupid design but it's what I have for now.
View Quote

This spout will work with capless vehicles. I have a capless F150 and it works fine.

You could look at a shaker siphon to fill from a fuel can too.

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

@Escotch in this thread buried is an adapter to use a Jerry can as a fuel tank. I'm sure it would work attached to an external pump to achieve your goal.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

@Escotch in this thread buried is an adapter to use a Jerry can as a fuel tank. I'm sure it would work attached to an external pump to achieve your goal.
View Quote

Probably not a good idea, the tube diameter is only 8mm (about 5/16").  This works great to run a generator but it's way to small to use for filling a truck tank.

Here's the adaptor.
https://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/jerry-can-adapter-1-tube/
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 5:34:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LAWRENCETHOMPSON] [#8]
Ordered the 4 pack Wavian from Atlantic British on Sunday afternoon and got them today fedex.  I got the flexible spout as well.  I am impressed, obviously brand new but they  are well built and being brand new super clean inside and out.  Love them.
I don't mind paying a little extra for something that will likely last me the rest  of my life.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 2:23:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Atlantic British is good.

However these folks sale the Wavian Brand. Their price comes out cheaper because they ship free.

Also the have the 10L for $40

Wavian Free Shipping
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By gsd2053:

However these folks sale the Wavian Brand. Their price comes out cheaper because they ship free.

Wavian Free Shipping
View Quote

Thanks for the link. I picked up a couple of the smaller ones so my wife could move them easily to fire up the generator if I'm out of town. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Wavian Free Shipping
View Quote

Guess it depends on where you live.  Was $50 cheaper shipped from Atlantic British for 4 cans + a flex spout.  Good to check both and see which is cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Milsurpninja:

Guess it depends on where you live.  Was $50 cheaper shipped from Atlantic British for 4 cans + a flex spout.  Good to check both and see which is cheaper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Wavian Free Shipping

I think it depends on how many cans you want to buy. Atlantic British charges very similar charges to ship 1 vs 4 cans so the more you order the less per can the shipping is. When I order from them they ship super fast and I usually have my order within 3-4 days.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 6:12:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LAWRENCETHOMPSON] [#13]
I got my 4 wavian cans this week from Atlantic British shipping was about 3 days and the cans are beautiful
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 1:41:19 PM EDT
[#14]
For those that are interested, Rover Parts has the Valpro NATO fuel cans back in stock again (they were cleaned out after the recent pipeline issue).

View Quote

Why are they listed as not being approved for fuel usage?
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 1:47:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#15]
Originally Posted By DaGoose:

View Quote

It’s a loop hole. They are not CARB approved (although you can get a CARB approved spout for them….$$$$). They just say not for fuel use so they can sell them in the US. They even come with an easily removed sticker that says “Not for fuel use” on them. Peel it off, fill them up with gas or diesel or kerosene and go on with life.

It would not surprise me if one day the government cracks down on it but for now the little warning serves as their loop hole to claim they aren’t selling non approved fuel cans. That’s why I bought as many as I have. May not be able to one day but you can now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

It’s a loop hole. They are not CARB approved (although you can get a CARB approved spout for them….$$$$). They just say not for fuel use so they can sell them in the US. They even come with an easily removed sticker that says “Not for fuel use” on them. Peel it off, fill them up with gas or diesel or kerosene and go on with life.

It would not surprise me if one day the government cracks down on it but for now the little warning serves as their loop hole to claim they aren’t selling non approved fuel cans. That’s why I bought as many as I have. May not be able to one day but you can now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DaGoose:

Gotcha.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Has anyone bought the carb approved Jerry cans with the retarded spout? Is it stamped anywhere on the can differently than the "not for fuel use" cans?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Has anyone bought the carb approved Jerry cans with the retarded spout? Is it stamped anywhere on the can differently than the "not for fuel use" cans?
View Quote

Not sure because I have no use for CARB spout. However, if it’s a NATO can the cans are identical.

Wonder if they aren’t selling well because last time I looked at the CARB spout it was more expensive.

https://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/jerry-fuel-can-nozzle/
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Best OD paint to use when repainting cans?

I’m sure the rattle can stuff from Wally World will dissolve the minute gas touches it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Urethane paint will survive gasoline.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Who sells 2 or 2.5 gallon cans these days?  Need a few for gas storage in my shed.  The few times I tried to empty the one I have into a car to rotate the gas, it was a hassle, so something lighter in weight and less clumsy would be nice.

Bonus would be a decent 1 gallon can of some sort for snowblower use.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By billclo:
Who sells 2 or 2.5 gallon cans these days?  Need a few for gas storage in my shed.  The few times I tried to empty the one I have into a car to rotate the gas, it was a hassle, so something lighter in weight and less clumsy would be nice.

View Quote

Atlantic British sells and has in stock 10L (2.6 gal) cans and 5L (1.3 gal) NATO type cans.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By billclo:

View Quote

Look into Rotopax.   They are expensive at MSRP, but if you find their store on ebay you can try making an offer.  I did that a few years ago and got two of the diesel 2 gal containers for the price of one. They also have a fast pour “water” spout which works great, only about $7.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I just got the 10 liter Wavian can from them.  On the bottom is a sticker that says for Non-Potable water only.  I'm assuming it's Ok to use for gasoline other than it not being painted red?
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Erich-63:
I just got the 10 liter Wavian can from them.  On the bottom is a sticker that says for Non-Potable water only.  I'm assuming it's Ok to use for gasoline other than it not being painted red?
View Quote

Yep. Don’t use it for water. Fuel only.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

@Escotch

I don’t have one so have no idea if they are worth the money or not but look up Tera Pump. They have multiple models and a couple of their models would work for NATO cans although they aren’t specifically designed for NATO cans.

Link Posted: 11/11/2021 2:06:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TLWrench] [#27]

@Escotch

I don't have one so have no idea if they are worth the money or not but look up Tera Pump. They have multiple models and a couple of their models would work for NATO cans although they aren't specifically designed for NATO cans.

View All Quotes

@Escotch

I don't have one so have no idea if they are worth the money or not but look up Tera Pump. They have multiple models and a couple of their models would work for NATO cans although they aren't specifically designed for NATO cans.

Big fan of the Terra pump. Use it with my Valpro / Wavian NATO-spec cans all the time. Here's the model I have. It is currently going for about $44 at Amazon:
Amazon: TERA PUMP TREP01-T Multi-Purpose Battery Powered Fuel Liquid Transfer Pump with Quick Stop Flow Control
TERA PUMP TREP01 Multi-Purpose Battery Powered Fuel Transfer Pump - 2D Battery, 2.5 GPM

Link Posted: 11/11/2021 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the feedback. How well does the fuel in the hose drain back into the can after you are done fueling?

I have a tractor I fill with diesel and while I don’t mind filling my other mower, ATVs and vehicles from cans, the tractor is a bit of a headache due to the fact there’s a loader on it and the tractor tank is in front of the steering wheel. It’s virtually impossible to fill from ANY fuel can without spilling a little so I’ve been thinking about getting a Terra Pump for filling the tractor.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the feedback. How well does the fuel in the hose drain back into the can after you are done fueling?

I have a tractor I fill with diesel and while I don't mind filling my other mower, ATVs and vehicles from cans, the tractor is a bit of a headache due to the fact there's a loader on it and the tractor tank is in front of the steering wheel. It's virtually impossible to fill from ANY fuel can without spilling a little so I've been thinking about getting a Terra Pump for filling the tractor.

Thanks
View Quote
You are welcome.

I wish I had a better answer, but each time I have used it I have typically run the jerry can dry, or I have lifted the base of the pump just above the fuel level and kept the pump running and spout open so as to pump any remaining fuel out of the pump before completely lifting it out of the fuel can for storage. That seems to have been pretty effective, but I don't know if that would be ideal for your use/application.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TLWrench:
You are welcome.

I wish I had a better answer, but each time I have used it I have typically run the jerry can dry, or I have lifted the base of the pump just above the fuel level and kept the pump running and spout open so as to pump any remaining fuel out of the pump before completely lifting it out of the fuel can for storage. That seems to have been pretty effective, but I don't know if that would be ideal for your use/application.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:56:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I got the Tera pump.  Actually got two of them.  First one I got was the D cell battery powered model Trep01.  It works pretty good.  I wanted a longer hose mainly for filling the tractor so I got the Trep03.  It's the model that uses 12 volts and has a 120v-12v wall plug and a set of battery clamps to run off a battery. I don't want to hook it up to the vehicle battery but still wanted it to be battery powered.  So, I bought one of THESE.   I cut the clamp cable and connected it to the battery adapter.  The battery adapter uses Milwaukee M12 batteries and I have plenty of them around the shop.  I made some hangers so I can hang the battery pack off the NATO can handle.  Works very well.  

My biggest concern with the Tera pump is the hose seems to be pretty cheap and flimsy.  I contacted the manufacturer and asked about getting a new hose.  I was told they don't sell replacement hoses.  I guess long term durability will tell over time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#32]
thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#33]
How well do the heavier plastic “U-Jugs” hold up long term?  Rural King has them for $20 and they feel a lot heavier than the typical red plastic can.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102025/C1661346-268D-4616-94CB-C19CD5967A6F_png-1912477.JPG
View Quote

I have two of the red and two yellow for our tractor, I could drive the tractor into town but I'd rather not for several reasons so we've used these for years for diesel that are stored in a pole barn that has heat but no real humidity control and never had a problem. The reds are filled with 93 octane and they have held up great. One gets used all the time, the other stays sealed and I have noticed no condensation buildup. I haven't tried them for long term because I haven't owned them long enough lol. We have had the reds for about 3 years now. I had a Focus ST with a E30 blend tune which is why I had the cans to keep my 93/ethanol mix in because when running that tune turned a Focus into a 9 mpg silly rocket. Now, they are just storage. No issues yet. Will buy a few more. Fumes are minimal to none if you have to transport these in a SUV or something as long as you fuel them out of the vehicle and close everything back up correctly and wipe any spillage off the sides if there was any and you should be good to carry in an enclosed vehicle, but I wouldn't be comfortable with them being in there with me for too long unless it was some kind of emergency.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I just got a couple of these. If I fill them full to the top, how long do you think fuel will last? 3-6 months? I plan on rotating fuel but in my area we only have heat stupid ethanol blends
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

I just got a couple of these. If I fill them full to the top, how long do you think fuel will last? 3-6 months? I plan on rotating fuel but in my area we only have heat stupid ethanol blends
View Quote

I just ran through 40 gallons of three year old 87 octane treated with stabil. My F-150 had no issue.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Landsat8:

I just ran through 40 gallons of three year old 87 octane treated with stabil. My F-150 had no issue.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Landsat8:

Nice! I remembered arfcom liked the NATO Jerry cans and I remembered seeing the fuel can oracle so I thought I would check in.

Link Posted: 2/15/2022 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Here's an online resource for locating stations that sell pure gasoline.  
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VA

I fill my cans up with pure gas.  No stabilizer, no additives.  
Typically, I'll pour into my Jeep when it's a little below 1/2 a tank.  I've used gas over 2 years old with no ill effects.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#38]
These things are fucking amazing
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:

Here's an online resource for locating stations that sell pure gasoline.  
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VA

I fill my cans up with pure gas.  No stabilizer, no additives.  
Typically, I'll pour into my Jeep when it's a little below 1/2 a tank.  I've used gas over 2 years old with no ill effects.
View Quote

I'm making the drive for pure gas tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Is there any reason I can't put gas in the tan Scepter cans?  Do I need to change the o-rings?
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:17:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By el_hombre:
Is there any reason I can't put gas in the tan Scepter cans?  Do I need to change the o-rings?
View Quote

Do you mean the water cans?  I would not.  They aren't designed to hold pressure like a real gas can should.  No reason to when you can get good gas cans.  

If you mean the tan Scepter fuel cans...yes they will hold gas just fine...but you might need viton gaskets.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Here is my solution to storing gasoline. It was on the back burner until gas prices shot up.
Now I put it together and filled it this week.
I bought an old propane tank that was no longer useable for service.
Propane tanks are set up to draw liquid from the bottom or vapor from the top.
Attachment Attached File

The new pipe is from the liquid draw. The yellow cap is where they empty the tank before moving it. The tee on the left replaces a pipe plug and holds the pressure gauge and propane fill port. When the tank is filled it is sealed and pressurized to prevent loss of the light fractions in gasoline. Loss of these is what causes gasoline to go bad. I'm not sure if the air fitting is enough by itself to hold pressure. They do tend to leak.
Attachment Attached File

I replaced the pressure relief valve since this will not hold near the pressure of propane. A 3/4" ball valve replaces it to fill the tank. The vapor valve is opened to allow gas vapor to escape when the tank is filled. A cap and nipple keep the weather out.
Attachment Attached File

I have a transfer tank that holds 140 ish gallons and takes two trips to completely fill the storage tank. I got it from a truck. A drain valve on the bottom connects to a transfer hose. I need to raise the back end one more block.

(More to come)
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
Here is my solution to storing gasoline. It was on the back burner until gas prices shot up.
Now I put it together and filled it this week.
I bought an old propane tank that was no longer useable for service.
Propane tanks are set up to draw liquid from the bottom or vapor from the top.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/210715/2022-03-08_16_24_18_jpg-2306692.JPG
The new pipe is from the liquid draw. The yellow cap is where they empty the tank before moving it. The tee on the left replaces a pipe plug and holds the pressure gauge and propane fill port. When the tank is filled it is sealed and pressurized to prevent loss of the light fractions in gasoline. Loss of these is what causes gasoline to go bad. I'm not sure if the air fitting is enough by itself to hold pressure. They do tend to leak.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/210715/2022-03-08_16_24_53_jpg-2306702.JPG
I replaced the pressure relief valve since this will not hold near the pressure of propane. A 3/4" ball valve replaces it to fill the tank. The vapor valve is opened to allow gas vapor to escape when the tank is filled. A cap and nipple keep the weather out.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/210715/2022-03-08_16_31_13_jpg-2306707.JPG
I have a transfer tank that holds 140 ish gallons and takes two trips to completely fill the storage tank. I got it from a truck. A drain valve on the bottom connects to a transfer hose. I need to raise the back end one more block.

(More to come)
View Quote

Very cool.  Would love to see some more pics.  

Do you pressurize with propane once full?
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 11:57:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shooter_gregg] [#44]
Yes. Propane dissolves into the gas and the pressure drops but it keeps a little pressure. I have more pics I'll post later.

ETA: I put about a thousand dollars into it this week.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Who has the best price these days?
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By last_crusader:
Who has the best price these days?
View Quote

Probably Atlantic British for NATO cans.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#47]
More pics of the build.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The pressure changes with temperature and sun intensity. It hasn't gone over 7 psi yet.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 12:48:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wm69] [#48]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
More pics of the build.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/210715/20220309_130201_jpg-2311421.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/210715/20220309_130211_jpg-2311422.JPG
The pressure changes with temperature and sun intensity. It hasn't gone over 7 psi yet.
View Quote

That’s very interesting, but in rural areas you might be able to get a loaner tank free from a local farmers co-op.

Friend of mine farms and when the last Democrat was in office and gas was four bucks a gallon, he got 1000 gallon tank from the co-op.  

They even come out to his house and fill it up.  

He, his wife, and his farm hands use it and he tries to fill it back up when prices drop.

For the rest of us, Jerry cans are nice.  My four from major surplus finally shipped Friday. $20 each and included a spout.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#49]
This is more backup/ long term storage. Keeping a head of pressure on the tank keeps the gas fresh. As long as it stays sealed it doesn't lose the light fractions that makes gas go bad.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's an interesting watch for those unfamiliar with the history of the Jerry Can and all of the design details that make it almost perfect.
Jerry Cans: The True Secret Weapon of WWII

Page / 38
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 35 of 38)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top