Page / 32
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:41:02 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chalco:

I'll give it a shot.

ETA: that worked. Thanks!
View Quote
They tend to expand and contract... I have one that now leaks because of this, I have a ton of the old GI cans, I would never again buy a "NATO" can.

Rancher
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:57:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/24/2018 11:07:42 PM EDT by bsf]
Lucky 8 Offroad Equipment out of New York is currently selling what it is advertising as Wavian 20L Jerry cans at competitive prices directly through their website and through their ebay store LK8parts. I ordered some red 20L cans (GJC20R), each of which included green, non-CARB nozzles (GJC002), for $54.40 each (shipped) from the ebay store. The parts numbers match up to the Valpro numbers on Atlantic British Parts’ (AB) website. The ebay prices are tiered based on # purchased. There are not many of the red cans w/ nozzles left, but more of the cans w/o nozzles. The company (non-ebay) webstore has some options that differ from the ebay store, including pairs of green 20L Wavians (GJC20) for $82. Not certain if those get free BF shipping. After reading through a ton of posts here, I decide I wanted to go with Valpro/Wavian products as opposed to the GELG’s from Deutsche Optik. Additionally, I am ok w/ a small upcharge for red (gasoline).

I suspect the red units I ordered from Lucky 8 are the same as the $79.99 units at AB, but only with the green, Valpro, non-CARB nozzle substituted for the red, Valpro, CARB nozzle.

ETA
I suspect, as do others, the Midwest Can brand metal, Jerry can w/ the screw bung is also manufactured by Valpro. Interestingly, Valpro manufactures a galvanized steel screw cap that I strongly suspect fits the Midwest Can. I have not found a US source for it though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:35:28 AM EDT
$82 for 2 shipped is a great deal - and they ship to PA :)

I thought I had enough but I just had to order 2 more.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:49:14 PM EDT
Thoughts on the best way to secure and protect cans in a toolbox? I tried some cheap padding in between them but it disintegrated and I don't like them rubbing and bouncing against each other offroad. I keep 5 full 20 s in the box.
Coat them in bed liner?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:00:03 PM EDT
Thoughts on the best way to secure and protect cans in a toolbox? I tried some cheap padding in between them but it disintegrated and I don't like them rubbing and bouncing against each other offroad. I keep 5 full 20 s in the box.
Coat them in bed liner?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:33:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2018 7:33:55 PM EDT by TailHunter]
Originally Posted By BUCK1911:
Coat them in bed liner?
Thanks
View Quote
Carpet samples/squares

I keep 2 cans in my tool box.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:33:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2018 8:34:17 PM EDT by EXPY37]
Anyone know where to get the non-OEM metal [aluminum] cap to fit these cans?

Great cans...

Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:59:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Carpet samples/squares

View Quote
Great idea I'll hit the carpet store dumpster on my way home from work.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:05:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

Carpet samples/squares

View Quote
Great idea I'll hit the carpet store dumpster on my way home from work.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:04:54 PM EDT
Mine arrived today. Appear to have been securely packaged. UPS took good care of the packages, especially given the ridiculous volume they are currently handling. Only completely unwrapped 1 – can and 1 – nozzle. Both appear to be as advertised with “Made in Latvia” product stickers. The can has “Wavian” embossed in the expected spot on the can and “Petrol Highly Flammable” embossed on the other side. Happy with the secure packaging; fast shipping; accurate product descriptions; and prices. Was not familiar w/ Lucky 8 Offroad Equipment, but everything seems legitimate. I may upload pics, but it could be a few days. Will definitely update if I encounter anything problems after unwrapping of the rest.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:59:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2018 9:00:51 AM EDT by bsf]
AllMakes4x4 is a UK-based wholesaler and exporter.

Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:17:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2018 11:20:41 AM EDT by SR712]
Originally Posted By BUCK1911:
Coat them in bed liner?
Thanks
View Quote
You could try using some of those little rubber or silicone self-adhesive pucks that they use under things like furniture. You will still have the problem, as I see it, no matter what you use between them... if they are not fastened down and therefore can rub, you will get wear spots on them over time. However, rubber rubbing would be better than steel on steel.

Rubber Pads on Amazon
Not necessarily these, but something similar. I've gotten little 3/4" clear silicone circles from Home Depot in the furniture pad section. They might work if placed in the right spots.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:38:52 PM EDT
I may have to figure out a secure cage that holds them tight. Or a couple of 4x4s locking them in place...
I had a few cheap chinese cans that I got for free and the seems all busted pinhole leaks bouncing around in the tool box and I expect better from my wavians but I want to take care of them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:01:25 PM EDT
Ordered a 5 – pack of replacement seals for Wavian cans from Atlantic British’s ebay store. These are not for the spouts.

Pack of 5 Wavian GJC99 4.8mm Jerry Can Gaskets - Rubber Seals for Jerry Cans

Interestingly, they are also branded Allmakes 4x4 like the cans I ordered through Lucky 8 Parts.

Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:26:53 PM EDT
What is the latest on nozzles for the scepter mfc's? Are people just making their own for the most part or are the ones made by scepter better now since the original post?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:03:08 AM EDT
I have been using the NATO cans since summer - I have 5 now.

I can see why Gov. Wolfe saw fit to ban them in PA - they seal completely and they pour without spilling a drop.

I have one each of the spouts. I really like the corrugated (Donkey dick) style-. You can point it straight down into a fill spout or into a vehicle, then tilt the can up.

The spout clips on top of the cans are so-so - they don't hold well in rough conditions. I have plastic plugs in the small ends of my spouts to keep dirt out. I haven't found a good solution to cover the gasket end while they are clipped to the top of the can. I may try to 3D print something.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:36:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lost-Drive-In:

I can see why Gov. Wolfe saw fit to ban them in PA - they seal completely and they pour without spilling a drop.

I have one each of the spouts. I really like the corrugated (Donkey dick) style-. You can point it straight down into a fill spout or into a vehicle, then tilt the can up.

The spout clips on top of the cans are so-so - they don't hold well in rough conditions. I have plastic plugs in the small ends of my spouts to keep dirt out. I haven't found a good solution to cover the gasket end while they are clipped to the top of the can. I may try to 3D print something.
View Quote
Danged Anti_Environmentalists...
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:44:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Originally Posted By Lost-Drive-In:

Have you used an "EPA Approved" can? They are terrible.

The Nato cans seal tight and they don't spill. I can't see how they could create any more emissions than an "approved" can. Actually, since filling a tank is so much faster, I expect there are fewer hydrocarbon emissions, net.

I actually consider myself an environmentalist. I'm active in a couple of environmental organizations. I am, however, opposed to stupid. Like banning effective gas cans so that people can only buy ineffective chinese made crap.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 12:47:30 AM EDT
Today I scored a 1952-dated USGI steel fuel can at a local flea market for $27.50 (After Christmas sale!). It has a few layers of paint outside, and is rusty inside (surface rust, not flakes). I can strip the paint and clean / coat the inside of the can, but without reading 32 pages of posts, where can I get parts for this can? I need a gasket for the bung hole, and would like a nozzle and a mounting rack. TIA.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:16:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Glynn863:
Today I scored a 1952-dated USGI steel fuel can at a local flea market for $27.50 (After Christmas sale!). It has a few layers of paint outside, and is rusty inside (surface rust, not flakes). I can strip the paint and clean / coat the inside of the can, but without reading 32 pages of posts, where can I get parts for this can? I need a gasket for the bung hole, and would like a nozzle and a mounting rack. TIA.
View Quote
Gaskets are readily available on Amazon. I haven't seen the GI "Donkey Dick" spouts for sale for years - maybe ebay?

Around here you paid to much - single cans without rust go for $15-$20. I wouldn't buy a rusty one.
Page / 32
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 32 of 32)
Top Top