User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 30 of 38)
Page / 38
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mr2143:
I definitely need a new storage method instead of my cheap plastic fuel cans. I had one crack from expansion in the summer heat and then I had one collapse during the cold weather and crack as well. One was storing gasoline and the other was storing two cycle mix. I remember searching for Sceptres (sp?) earlier this year but didn’t have any luck since they were all out of stock.
View Quote
Have to hunt the scepters on eBay, sometimes good deals come up.

Link Posted: 12/29/2017 1:36:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Beowulf:
Those appear to be Chinese cans and I don't think you're going to find anyone who has anything nice to say about them.  If you look at the pictures carefully you can see the seam stands proud of the can.  That's bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Those appear to be Chinese cans and I don't think you're going to find anyone who has anything nice to say about them.  If you look at the pictures carefully you can see the seam stands proud of the can.  That's bad.
I see that now.  I have some genuine German NATO cans and I can see the difference now that you pointed it out.

I appreciate the guidance.  I hate spending money, but I really hate wasting it!
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By dablues:
I see that now.  I have some genuine German NATO cans and I can see the difference now that you pointed it out.

I appreciate the guidance.  I hate spending money, but I really hate wasting it!
View Quote
Sometimes the more expensive option is the best value.  I think that’s true of the Wavian/Valpro cans.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By brcarls:
I won't buy any more from DO.... Ordered a vacuum feed fuel cap from a third party and discovered that DO is not compatible with every one else's spouts/accessories.  Maybe their bayonet mount geometry is more better, but it's worthless if it doesn't work with NATO std spouts.
View Quote
Sealey?  If it’s the adaptor I think it is then that’s a shame.  I’ve used one for years to run my generator with outstanding results.  If you end up getting Wavian’s get the Wavian nozzle with the reducing coupler.  Works great if you need to pour into small openings.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 3:13:05 PM EDT
[#5]
If anyone is interested I tried a AB NATO style Donkey Dick (Long-Nose Flexible Jerry Can Spout) on a Wavian NATO 20L can to fill my 2012 F150 capless fuel tank.

No spills, no problem getting past the spring loaded cap. I only topped off so no data on how long to empty a 20L can. Very slight gurgling.

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 3:13:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fastswift] [#6]
humm..first ever dupe
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Sealey?  If it’s the adaptor I think it is then that’s a shame.  I’ve used one for years to run my generator with outstanding results.  If you end up getting Wavian’s get the Wavian nozzle with the reducing coupler.  Works great if you need to pour into small openings.
View Quote
Yes, a Sealey adaptor.   Fits fine on Wavians from AB.    Works great with my generator.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SR712:
I rotated 25 gallons of E10 87 octane out this past summer. It was stored in October of 2012, so it was almost 5 years old. Ran it almost undiluted with new in my new truck. Ran great, no issues. It was stored in 5 plastic Blitz cans that had the CARB nozzles removed, and airtight capped. I have a bunch of metal Jerry Cans, too, but wanted to see what condition these cans were in, instead. Very pleased with the results.

As has been stated many many times in this thread and in the SF, as long as you keep the fuel air tight from the environment, you will do well. Don't worry about temperatures.
View Quote
What did you use to airtight cap them? Is there a special cap? I have the commercial red Sceptres and I want to put up some fuel. I am also interested in the VP racing containers, anyone use them?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 4:32:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#9]
There's a special adapter cap for the Scepters [got several on eBay]

It's been mod'd for 3 ports, source, vent and return, and can have more.

Output is 12vdc.

For those techy and curious, the orange wire is the 'sense' for the modified voltage regulator.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Well gol dangamighty!  This thing is still going?  So I really did contribute something to the world????  LOL
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FordGuy:
Well gol dangamighty!  This thing is still going?  So I really did contribute something to the world????  LOL
View Quote
I learned a lot from it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I just had to replace the gasket in my nozzle that I got from Old Grouch.

What a pain in the ass.  Tough fit with the replacement gaskets I had.  I tried searching for nozzle specific gasket but I couldn't find any.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By fighter443:
I just had to replace the gasket in my nozzle that I got from Old Grouch.

What a pain in the ass.  Tough fit with the replacement gaskets I had.  I tried searching for nozzle specific gasket but I couldn't find any.
View Quote
I can only speak to the Wavian cans and spouts but there are two different sizes of gasket.  The spout gasket is on the right in the picture below.

Out of stock at the moment but this is where I got mine.

https://www.topspecus.com/products/genuine-authentic-wavian-rubber-gasket-2325?variant=21270964353
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#14]

I can only speak to the Wavian cans and spouts but there are two different sizes of gasket.  The spout gasket is on the right in the picture below.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL176/1171244/24547779/413554360.jpg

Out of stock at the moment but this is where I got mine.

https://www.topspecus.com/products/genuine-authentic-wavian-rubber-gasket-2325?variant=21270964353
View Quote
Thanks!

Ill pick some up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 12:33:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Made a thread on these but after doing so realized it would be better here.

I bought these fuel cans for mounting on an ATV. Pretty impressed with them so far. They are similar to the Rotopax but probably 1/2 the price. They have an air vent and drain just like the old style fuel cans (no CARB nozzles on these). They are made of very tough, thick plastic.

Link Posted: 4/20/2018 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Out of stock, probably taken down from liberal eBarf due them not being CARB compliant.

Rancher
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I need a spout for my MFC cans that I got long ago from Sportsman Guide. I only bought 6, but wish I would have got 20 or more. I don’t recall where I saw a home brew spout with parts from Home Depot or Lowes. Also, the cap baskets are Viton. We had a guy here that made them years ago, but can’t seem to find that info.

I have some 20 gallon steel drums that are lined. They had chiller oil in them. But the bung plug is plastic. A metal 2” bung is easy to find, but was thinking a bung with a flange and a Viton gasket might seal better.

Guys that use drums for gas, have you use anything aside from just a standard bung plug?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 10:21:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Oldgold] [#18]
Any replacement caps for the Midwest Jerry cans? They come with a cheap plastic cap with a hole in the middle for the spout.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Any replacement caps for the Midwest Jerry cans? They come with a cheap plastic cap with a hole in the middle for the spout.
View Quote
Are you talking about the round ones? If so, I believe a standard lawnmower gas cap will work. Briggs & Stratton 397974S
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Bought two more NATO Jerrycans on FB marketplace for $5 after church today.  There is some superficial rust on the outside, but I should be able to take care of that fairly easily. The insides will likely need to be treated too, but who doesn’t like a project?
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Finally finished reading the entire thread a little at a time. Now waiting on free shipping.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Finally finished reading the entire thread a little at a time. Now waiting on free shipping.
View Quote
For what?
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#24]
BA Jerry cans.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#25]
BA Jerry cans.
View Quote
https://www.ebay.com/itm/400924140518?rmvSB=true
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks, but a lot higher than website. Will wait until after Memorial Day and see if they free ship. I am in no hurry.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Forgive me if this has already been covered--I skimmed the thread and didn't see it.  AB offers the Wavian cans with two different spouts--a black rubber flexible hose, and a long-nose flexible spout.  They are within a few dollars of each other.  Is there a preference?
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Razzman1:
Forgive me if this has already been covered--I skimmed the thread and didn't see it.  AB offers the Wavian cans with two different spouts--a black rubber flexible hose, and a long-nose flexible spout.  They are within a few dollars of each other.  Is there a preference?
View Quote
I don't have any experience with the long-nose spout so maybe someone that does will chime in.

I use the black rubber flexible hose version and would recommend it without reservation.  It works fine as is and comes with a hose barb that makes the spout extremely flexible in use.  I wrote about it back on page 27 of this thread.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't have any experience with the long-nose spout so maybe someone that does will chime in.

I use the black rubber flexible hose version and would recommend it without reservation.  It works fine as is and comes with a hose barb that makes the spout extremely flexible in use.  I wrote about it back on page 27 of this thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Thank you very much.
View Quote
Happy to help.  Just FYI, there is a technique to using the spout.  You tip the can into the pour very, very slowly.  You need to give the vent in the spout time to start working and to do that it needs to overcome the pressure of the fuel feeding the spout. This is just to start to pour, once you hear the “glug” you know the vent is working and you can pour normally.  If you don’t do this you risk a small amount of fuel spurting out the vent.  It’s not a lot and it stops as soon as the vent starts working (and it will) but if you want to avoid spilling any fuel at all then start slow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Finally had my blitz cans give up the ghost. Needing a couple of cans that will seal so I don’t get vapors in my garage. Usually try to keep 2 or 3 cans for my inverter generator. What’s the Best Buy for the cans and spouts. I do want the ability to dump the fuel in my vehicles to rotate stock. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Huskercoop:
Finally had my blitz cans give up the ghost. Needing a couple of cans that will seal so I don’t get vapors in my garage. Usually try to keep 2 or 3 cans for my inverter generator. What’s the Best Buy for the cans and spouts. I do want the ability to dump the fuel in my vehicles to rotate stock. Thanks
View Quote
Where they plastic or metal?

Maybe they need a new gasket.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Emptied the remaining fuel I had in mine into my 4Runner yesterday. It was a reminder to myself I need to pick up one or two more shaker siphons, those things are great if you've never used one. Now I need to go fill all of my cans back up. $$$$
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

Where they plastic or metal?

Maybe they need a new gasket.
View Quote
Plastic. Some rode on a lawn trailer as well for several years
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Huskercoop:

Plastic. Some rode on a lawn trailer as well for several years
View Quote
Yep, scrap then.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Sorry to ask, I am certain that it has been asked and answered before and my TBI'ed brain forgot. Would these spouts work on the cans that Ohio Prep was selling last year?

https://wavianusa.com/wavian-brand-jerry-can-pour-spout-nozzle/wavian-spill-proof-safety-spouts-nozzles

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By amos1909:
Sorry to ask, I am certain that it has been asked and answered before and my TBI'ed brain forgot. Would these spouts work on the cans that Ohio Prep was selling last year?

https://wavianusa.com/wavian-brand-jerry-can-pour-spout-nozzle/wavian-spill-proof-safety-spouts-nozzles

Thanks
View Quote
Ohio Prep has sold jerry cans from at least 3 different manufacturers.  Some of them worked with Wavian nozzles and some (most?) did not.  I think the only way you're going to know for sure is to try one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 10:00:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amos1909] [#38]

Ohio Prep has sold jerry cans from at least 3 different manufacturers.  Some of them worked with Wavian nozzles and some (most?) did not.  I think the only way you're going to know for sure is to try one.
View Quote
Thank you for the reply.

the cans are the Polish ones that they were selling for $19.99 last year.  These fit but I don't like them  http://www.ohioprepsupply.com/jerry-can-spout/
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 8:08:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Beowulf] [#39]
Thank you for the reply.

the cans are the Polish ones that they were selling for $19.99 last year.  These fit but I don't like them  http://www.ohioprepsupply.com/jerry-can-spout/
View Quote
Ohio Prep sold GELG and TUT cans, both of which are manufactured in Poland.  Apparently some of them work with Wavian spouts and some don’t.  If you go back and read the last 3 or 4 pages of this thread there’s some discussion about it and some pictures that might help you figure it out.

I'm just curious but why are you looking to buy the Wavian safety spout?  Not many people have anything nice to say about them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 9:40:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amos1909] [#40]

Ohio Prep sold GELG and TUT cans, both of which are manufactured in Poland.  Apparently some of them work with Wavian spouts and some don't.  If you go back and read the last 3 or 4 pages of this thread there's some discussion about it and some pictures that might help you figure it out.

I'm just curious but why are you looking to buy the Wavian safety spout?  Not many people have anything nice to say about them.
View Quote
I believe that I have both GELG and TUT cans. I apologize,  I thought the Wavian was the best.  My TBI'ed brain is really struggling.  The Nameda and Exelon are not working as well as they used to in years past.  I'll do some more research.

Thank you for pointing me to the correct pages.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#41]

I believe that I have both GELG and TUT cans. I apologize,  I thought the Wavian was the best.  My TBI'ed brain is really struggling.  The Nameda and Exelon are not working as well as they used to in years past.  I'll do some more research.

Thank you for pointing me to the correct pages.
View Quote
Best is of course a matter of opinion.  In my opinion the pre-ban Wavian spout is absolutely the best, if it fits your cans.  The Wavain safety spout you linked to is not the same thing.

This is the pre-ban spout.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC002?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzNiNkMqo2wIVDdRkCh3Z1wYzEAQYAiABEgIh0PD_BwE

This is the safety spout.
https://wavianusa.com/black-safety-spout.html
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 10:27:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amos1909] [#42]

Best is of course a matter of opinion.  In my opinion the pre-ban Wavian spout is absolutely the best, if it fits your cans.  The Wavain safety spout you linked to is not the same thing.

This is the pre-ban spout.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC002?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzNiNkMqo2wIVDdRkCh3Z1wYzEAQYAiABEgIh0PD_BwE

This is the safety spout.
https://wavianusa.com/black-safety-spout.html
View Quote
Thank you for taking the time to make the clarification. Thankful that I posted and ask.

I did check and I have that GELG cans from Ohio prep. Has anyone used the pre-ban Wavian spout on the $19.99 GELG cans from Ohio prep?

I need to order 4 (extended family needs them also), just trying to cover everything before I pull the trigger.

Thanks again for helping me out, Beowulf!
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Ohio Prep sold GELG and TUT cans, both of which are manufactured in Poland.  Apparently some of them work with Wavian spouts and some don't.  If you go back and read the last 3 or 4 pages of this thread there's some discussion about it and some pictures that might help you figure it out.

View Quote
Sorry, just re-read your post and noticed that you typed "LAST" 3 or 4 pages", not first 3-4 pages!

I will look at the pics and see. I was up to page 10, looking for pics.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#44]
I need to pick up some more cans has anyone seen any deals out there?
BA 4 cans for $169 is the best I have seen.
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:03:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amos1909] [#45]
I looked but could not find any pics of what works vs what will not!

ETA

Think I found them but they have been deleted.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:43:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Beowulf] [#46]
Originally Posted By BUCK1911:
I need to pick up some more cans has anyone seen any deals out there?
BA 4 cans for $169 is the best I have seen.
Thanks
View Quote
I think $169 with free shipping through their eBay store is as good as it gets right now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:49:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Beowulf] [#47]
I looked but could not find any pics of what works vs what will not!https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

ETA

Think I found them but they have been deleted.
View Quote
About half way down page 29 member onealphay2k made a post with six pictures.  The last one shows the open mouth of the can.  This is most like the Wavian cans and is the one most likely to work with the pre-ban spout (still no guarantee).  In the next post I asked him a question about the 10L cans and he replied with 3 more pictures with the last one of those showing the open mouth of the 10L can.  This shows a different type of internal air vent and will not work with the Wavain spout.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#48]

About half way down page 29 member onealphay2k made a post with six pictures.  The last one shows the open mouth of the can.  This is most like the Wavian cans and is the one most likely to work with the pre-ban spout (still no guarantee).  In the next post I asked him a question about the 10L cans and he replied with 3 more pictures with the last one of those showing the open mouth of the 10L can.  This shows a different type of internal air vent and will not work with the Wavain spout.
View Quote
first of all, thank you.

Second, I am sorry.  I did not go far enough. I got side-tracked by to the "Holy Moly, New European" thread that you posted on 9/20/2017 10:56:42 PM EDT.  The pics there have been deleted.

Don't think mine will work!

Thank you so much Beowulf!
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#49]
first of all, thank you.

Second, I am sorry.  I did not go far enough. I got side-tracked by to the "Holy Moly, New European" thread that you posted on 9/20/2017 10:56:42 PM EDT.  The pics there have been deleted.

Don't think mine will work!https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

Thank you so much Beowulf!
View Quote
Your very welcome, sorry there wasn’t a better outcome for you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 9:22:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#50]
Amos-

PSA- Don't forget, the Super Siphon is still the preferred method of transferring from cans for many members here. It, of course, fits all cans, and is able to empty a can in a very short time. I have both Super Siphon and nozzles, and have yet to use the nozzles. Although, I pretty much just empty a can into the truck.
Page / 38
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 30 of 38)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top